NY Harbor beginning to come alive again

WaldosPepper

The NY Harbor Cam is currently following the NOAA vessel "Thomas Jefferson," which is performing some sort of testing in The Narrows. The boat is trailing something behind it (underwater) and is performing a systematic examination of some sort. On her first pass, she was extremely close to shore and travelled almost all the way to the bridge before turning hard to port. She's now completing her second full pass, and appears to be in the center of the channel, going under the bridge this time.

While she's been performing this test, I watched a tug pushing a tanker out of the harbor and under the bridge.

MarineTraffic shows that there are a significant number of vessels moving up and down the river, mostly tugs, ferries and such. Outside of Sandy Hook there is a large collection of tankers and cargo vessels moored and awaiting the all-clear.

Traffic on the bridge and other visible highways is brisk, so the roads are coming to life as well.

The Gem is on her way from Boston, and her status shows an "expected" arrival as tomorrow at 09:45 UTC. If all is going well with cleanup/testing/etc, hopefully we'll see her docking in Manhattan tomorrow!

That is good news. I have staff member friends currently on The Gem.

I just heard from a friend of mine who is employed by Norwegian. His home out on Long Island is under water and being pumped out. He says that he and his family are fine other than that. I wonder how many other Norwegian staff members have had damage to /or lost their homes.

Looking further on the MarineTraffic site, and clicking on "Show Vessel's Path" for the Thomas Jefferson, it shows that she has actually completed a thorough survey from the inlet all the way to the cruise ship terminal, completing two full runs back and forth from the statue to the terminal. Then she performed an extensive survey through the entire narrows. Apparently what I was watching on the webcam was the very tail end of her mission.

Since she is heading back out to sea, and is now past Sandy Hook, perhaps we'll hear good news about the condition of the river bed.

It's so nice to see activity resuming, and I remain very hopeful for all the passengers currently on the Gem, as well as those who are waiting to embark.

positive thoughts

positive thoughts

positive thoughts

positive thoughts

positive thoughts

positive thoughts

positive thoughts

positive thoughts

positive thoughts

positive thoughts

positive thoughts

I love your attitude!!!!!!!!!

FWIW, I know that many of you are disappointed about Bermuda as a choice for your sailing, but DH and I returned from there on 10/21, and I can tell you that the island is still extremely beautiful this time of year, and the weather is rather nice. The locals there will be extremely happy to have you ashore, and will go out of their way to make your stay on their island a great one. There is sooooo much to see and do there, and I'm sure it will be a wonderful destination for all of you.

Sending you all the best wishes I can, and a huge cyber hug for being as upbeat as possible under your recent disappointing circumstances. ;)

I love your attitude!!!!!!!!!

FWIW, I know that many of you are disappointed about Bermuda as a choice for your sailing, but DH and I returned from there on 10/21, and I can tell you that the island is still extremely beautiful this time of year, and the weather is rather nice. The locals there will be extremely happy to have you ashore, and will go out of their way to make your stay on their island a great one. There is sooooo much to see and do there, and I'm sure it will be a wonderful destination for all of you.

Sending you all the best wishes I can, and a huge cyber hug for being as upbeat as possible under your recent disappointing circumstances. ;)

i was there 2 yrs ago in May and it was beautiful

you have to have a positive attitude. being a downer just ruins it all

plus we sprung the dog from the boarder, it has made the week more bearable with her around :) and i got to send the kids to school LOL

i was there 2 yrs ago in May and it was beautiful

you have to have a positive attitude. being a downer just ruins it all

plus we sprung the dog from the boarder, it has made the week more bearable with her around :) and i got to send the kids to school LOL

Silver linings! :D

To update ~ three pilot boats have left their dock at Staten Island, and all three have headed out toward Sandy Hook. Let's hope this means GREAT news...

Fingers crossed for all concerned!

i love your updates!!!!

just when i was feeling down...

your post gave me a smile :)

SO good to hear ! This area needs those tankers to come in...from what I hear..the few gas stations that can pump..are running out of gas...and very soon there will be no gasoline avaiilable here in Norther NJ..!!! And there are so many here..relying on generators...

Live - breaking news on CBS NY (TV Channel 2) - pending further & official confirmation

US Senator Chunk Schumer speaking live, news conference - confirmed by US Coast Guard official seen on live camera feed, that NY Harbor has been inspected & deemed safe, open for marine traffic - so that tankers & other ships can come in - to at least unload gasoline & supplies so that it can be released for distribution.

That does NOT address whether the Manhattan or Brooklyn Cruise Terminal are safe & open, and ready to welcome home the cruise ships floating out at sea ... it is progress in the positive direction.

Today, mass transit is still gridlocked as not all train, subway or bus lines are back - driving is a nightware even w HOV-3 restrictions, and electricity is still out in Lower Manhattan up to 34th Street, river to river. The outer boroughs are still waiting help and 90% of Long Island are still without power - despite those news conferences & briefings, all held in Manhattan, as usual ...

Our thoughts & prayers ... Keep in mind this was a Cat I Hurricane with minimal rain, mostly wind & flooding due to rising sea and indirect hit, landfall was in NJ somewhere near Atlantic City (80% was reported to be underwater during the storm)

Search & Rescue are still ongoing - we are a long way from Recovery. There are still thousands of neighbors around us without electricty, waiting for help - trees are still blocking some of the secondary, residential streets - firefighters from local stationhouse (FDNY) are doing the chain-sawing the tree trunks & clearing it, utility crews aren't here yet - their depot is about a mile from us, everyone is out (it's a matter of triage & priorities) But, the NYC Marathon this Sunday MUST go on - yeah & folks from Staten Island, where the runs would start at the VZ Bridge are saying, no - we do NOT need any resources diverted to do a marathon, end quote.

Did you see something interesting on that cam?????? Do tell!

Further update:

The cargo vessel Han Yi has fired up her engines and is now underway, after having been moored for a significant period of time, along with a large number of other freighters and tankers.

A large tugboat is now heading directly toward the large cluster of tankers and freighters awaiting permission to enter the harbor.

The Thomas Jefferson has completed several more survey runs in the vicinity of Sandy Hook, along with another vessel apparently also surveying. The Thomas Jefferson is now heading back under the VNB.

Pilot vessels appear to be heading toward the cluster of awaiting ships, but cannot confirm that yet.

Fingers, toes, legs and arms crossed for all!!!

Did you see something interesting on that cam?????? Do tell!

no just pretending the GEM is docked next door lol :D

the intrepid website said they are closed and activities are canceled through the second..

ok so toes crossed that they open

fingers crossed that our pier is safe to dock, disembark and embark at

This is one of my favorite New York Harbor webcams. Tracks ships from mouth of harbor to Bridge. Hoping to see the Gem coming in tomorrow AM...follow the link:

http://nyharborwebcam.com/

Website also shows realtime positions of all ships.

Good luck! Keeping fingers crossed for all those eager to embark!! :D

From the NY Cruise FB page:

The Manhattan Cruise Terminal will reopen tomorrow for two ship calls. Both the Norwegian Gem and Carribean Princess will call, at 7 a.m. and 8 a.m. respectively, at Pier 88 to disembark returning passengers and to embark new passengers beginning their cruises.

In addition, we are continuing to coordinate with the US Coast Guard and the cruise lines to return operations at the cruise terminal back to normal as quickly, and safely, as possible. Please continue to check the http://www.nycruise.com website and social media channels for updates on service, and make sure to contact your cruise line to confirm itinerary before arriving for any upcoming cruise you may have scheduled.

I am confused by all the different reports.

http://news.yahoo.com/u-coast-guard-no-timetable-reopen-ny-harbors-173917502.html

I sure hope that this report is old (although it posted 3 hours ago) or maybe it is not the same port but this doesn't give indication that the port is close to re-opening soon.

Cruise liners don't use Arthur Kill.

Thats great news! I was getting worried.

A barge & small tanker collided yesterday with a spill - AK channel is narrow between Staten Island & NJ - does not impact on cruise ships & movement for Upper & Lower NY Bay (VZ Bridge side of SI) Spill is being contained.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/10/report_300000-gallon_oil_spill.html

Let's just hope NCL has and/or will have disembarkation assistance at the pier, and for once, those parked above the pier - rooftop parking can drive home (as long they have enough gasoline in their tanks)

Welcome Home, finally :eek:

It warms my heart to see the bridge cam on the Gem showing them sailing away down the beautiful, and largely empty Hudson River. If you'd like to watch her sailing, you can do so here: http://nyharborwebcam.com/

Note: the cam operator at this site has added the Marine Traffic radio, which is an interesting addition!

Archived