Finally getting back after the storm, Explorer storm questions?

JAMESCC

[quote name='Mom33']Perhaps those that think the captain did the right thing by going south should consider what would have happened in 35 foot seas if they lost power. The crew had to control the direction in which the ship took the waves. Without power, they would not be able to keep the ship from taking the waves on the side of the ship. I'll leave it to your imagination as to what could have happened.

The ship should have gone north or no where. RCL is lucky all ended safely. I hope they reconsider their decision in this case and never repeat it.[/QUOTE]

This is a major point that keeps getting skipped over.....you are so right!

Could have easily been devastating!....and my friend onboard was told numerous times that first rough day that the reason no one was trying to cook hot food for passengers was because of the risk of a fire onboard. I wouldnt have even thought about that...and that was a REAL scare....and reality.

[quote name='micmacmissy']I'm sure the people who made the choice to get on the ship did so trusting in RCCL. How many of those people were thinking, "Well, it must not be that bad if they're not going to cancel the cruise." But 35 ft waves and 1.5 hr lines for food and limited drinking water? That's irresponsible on the cruise lines part. What about the elderly, and those traveling with children?

Yes, RCCL had to send the ship out to sea...but didn't have to risk the extreme discomfort of the passengers to do so. It was a bad decision. Should they get sued? Probably not- but still, it wasn't the fault of the passengers![/QUOTE]

This is also a very good point...I love RCCL and trust them....thats the quandry!

[quote name='micmacmissy']I'm sure the people who made the choice to get on the ship did so trusting in RCCL. How many of those people were thinking, "Well, it must not be that bad if they're not going to cancel the cruise." But 35 ft waves and 1.5 hr lines for food and limited drinking water? That's irresponsible on the cruise lines part. What about the elderly, and those traveling with children?

Yes, RCCL had to send the ship out to sea...but didn't have to risk the extreme discomfort of the passengers to do so. It was a bad decision. Should they get sued? Probably not- but still, it wasn't the fault of the passengers![/QUOTE]

I very much put my trust in RC...and having never sailed with them before this was a huge leap of faith for me. As I said in another post, there was much other food available that required perhaps a 15-minute wait...which was not long at all. There were many additional servers and food managers butlering trays of fruit, sandwiches, cookies and water. Additionally, there was no time that we were told that the water was not drinkable or that it was limited. The cruiseline did a great job handling the guests given the "extreme" circumstances.

No one was forced to get on the ship...everyone got on according to their own will. We all knew that we were going to Bermuda. RC got us there and got us there safely. There may have been a bit of discomfort (I don't know that I would say "extreme discomfort") on the way but we're still here.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

[/quote]

I was there and the only thing I can agree with you is the 35 foot waves. There were NO 1.5 hr lines for food on the Promenade at any time or any day. There was NO limited drinking water (or coffee, tea, lemonade or anything else one might like to drink) at any time or any day.

There were a lot of kids as well as some infants on this cruise. As a matter of fact, it was a pretty even balance between the "elderly" and younger families. Most, if not all were having a ball at all the shows and parties.

[quote name='BecciBoo'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3] Most people making negative comments here are not sailors or mariners and know only what cruising as a past time has taught them. I do not in any way consider their opinions as valid under the circumstances of this storm. Further more, if you weren't on the cruise, you have no basis for comparison.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Most reasonable people who were on the cruise have reported how well they were taken care of. No one was hurt beyond reasonable limits considering the circumstances. And...they chose to go. Just sayin....:cool: Now they are home in reasonably good shape. Case closed.[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

I agree whole heartedly, you have summed it up briliantly. the people who were not on the cruise are just playing monday morning quarterback. I hope that is the right term since I am into hockey not football. :)

[quote name='retird']I agree whole heartedly, you have summed it up briliantly. the people who were not on the cruise are just playing monday morning quarterback. I hope that is the right term since I am into hockey not football. :)[/QUOTE]

Monday morning quarterbacking IS a national pastime in the States........ ;):D

I can't believe how judgmental some people are. Some are just mean. Everybody that sailed has a right to an opinion. I wish they canceled, but they didn't. It was a rough ride, horrible for some. But afterwards it was all good. If I had an option to reschedule I would have. But we didn't.
I didn't like the 2 bad days, not sure we should have sailed through it, however, I will book RCCL again and again. The staff was awesome and we had fun after the storm.

[quote name='kaykels']I can't believe how judgmental some people are. Some are just mean. Everybody that sailed has a right to an opinion. I wish they canceled, but they didn't. It was a rough ride, horrible for some. But afterwards it was all good. If I had an option to reschedule I would have. But we didn't.
I didn't like the 2 bad days, not sure we should have sailed through it, however, I will book RCCL again and again. The staff was awesome and we had fun after the storm.[/QUOTE]

Don't listen to the stockholders and cheerleaders. The repeated posts and large bold fonts just means that they are shouting louder. That doesn't make them the experts that they profess to be. You were there and what you say is pretty much what I saw.

I was there and the sun came out on my 40th birthday on the 30th. Yes seas were rough. Our stateroom was a large ocean view. Almost completely forward on the 6th floor. It was a crazy ride in that room. Doors an drawers opening and slamming, actually sliding on the bed. Tremendous noise of waves and wind. That said not once did I feel in danger. I believe that the captain made the correct decision. Had he gone north and swung east we could have timed it pefectly to take the brunt of the storm. The captain continually updated our status. And really having to eat sandwiches and fresh fruit for one lunch wasn't going to kill any of us. There was always more than enough fresh water and beverages.
Yes the damp smell was unfortunate. I felt badly for those whose cabin flooded but was impressed with their quick change of carpeting. I had a rough 1st night but was able to just sleep it off as did my 5y/o. It was my 2 friends first cruise...they had a blast and already booked phantom cruises.
The only concern we had was the lack of updates regarding the state of the pier and cars.
So that is just my view.

[quote name='lonegirl']
Yes the damp smell was unfortunate. I felt badly for those whose cabin flooded but was impressed with their quick change of carpeting. [/quote]

I was surprised that they had so much new carpet on board. We saw them load four big dumpsters in Bermuda with carpet that had been removed. There may have been more. The trucks kept picking up the full dumpsters and leaving empty ones. We only saw four since we had to get to the ferry.

As we were getting off Explorer when we arrived back in Port Liberty, I saw them unloading many big bales of old carpet. I don't know how much carpet they replaced in those few days, but it was a lot.

[quote name='becciboo'][font=comic sans ms][size=3] most people making negative comments here are not sailors or mariners and know only what cruising as a past time has taught them. I do not in any way consider their opinions as valid under the circumstances of this storm. Further more, if you weren't on the cruise, you have no basis for comparison.[/size][/font]
[font=comic sans ms][size=3][/size][/font]
[font=comic sans ms][size=3]most reasonable people who were on the cruise have reported how well they were taken care of. No one was hurt beyond reasonable limits considering the circumstances. And...they chose to go. Just sayin....:cool: Now they are home in reasonably good shape. Case closed.[/size][/font][/quote]

amen

[quote name='Mom33']My mistake. The Caribbean actually got out of dodge a day earlier than I thought. It really makes no difference however. The Explorer should not have gone south.

I also mistook the Jewel as a Carnival ship. Sorry for the confusion.

I will now go back to our research on the Allure and Oasis as we were searching for info when we came across this thread.[/QUOTE]

Jewel did stay in Boston till Tuesday

[quote name='johnlcruise']I just got home from this Most Excellent Cruise.
Yes it was rocking and rolling on Monday.(A most Excellent Ride) But the Capt. and Crew did an OUTSTANDING job of keeping everybody safe and updated. Yes they did close the windjammer on Monday from 10ish till 6PM But NOBODY went hungry. They had food stations set up through out the ship and nobody went hungry for the 7 hours. If they did its only because they chose not to leave there rooms. For all those people at home saying this and that about RCCL not doing the right thing you are wrong. You have NO right in saying it. As you where NOT there. And the few people that did complan that where on the ship where mostly FIRST time cruisers and where caught by suprise.
But for all of us sea dogs It was really not that bad. I loved it!

And by Monday night things slowy got back to normal and by Tuesday it was a GREAT day at sea. Anyday at sea is better then a day at work. Peace.[/QUOTE]

Hi..we met you at the meet and mingle on Monday. We were the couple from Philly. It was a pleasure meeting and talking with you. I was the one who won the intenet minutes, but didnt take the time to use them.

You quelled any anxieties that I was having and my husband certainly thanks you too! We ended up moving from 8332 to 6308 because the smell was just too unbearable. The stories about not having water to drink or no food available is crazy. It was a little inconvenient that the WJ was closed but we were able to get a small snack to tie us over until dinner. I think most people went into panic mode unnecessarily.

I remember you saying how you loved it, and my husband did too!

Once again chatting with you!

[quote name='shorbr']Hi..we met you at the meet and mingle on Monday. We were the couple from Philly. It was a pleasure meeting and talking with you. I was the one who won the intenet minutes, but didnt take the time to use them.

You quelled any anxieties that I was having and my husband certainly thanks you too! We ended up moving from 8332 to 6308 because the smell was just too unbearable. The stories about not having water to drink or no food available is crazy. It was a little inconvenient that the WJ was closed but we were able to get a small snack to tie us over until dinner. I think most people went into panic mode unnecessarily.

I remember you saying how you loved it, and my husband did too!

Once again chatting with you![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the nice comment. I do remember you two. Glad you made it home safe. Hope to see you and others that I met on another cruise realy soon
John In Colorado

Well I'm glad everyone is safe. Thanks for all the great info, I appreciate it. RCCL was in a tough position I guess, but everyone is safe and were in Bermuda while we were in a mess, and still are. Next time a hurricane heads for NJ, I'm booking the cruise that sails out just before! Better than being here!

Archived