Pre cruise hotel in barcelona

dolphin2012

we are going to stay two days pre cruise in barcelona. after reading the reviews of the pickpockets i must say it has scared me quite a bit. we will be on the carnival sunshine.. one of their precruise hotels with transfers is the Fila Palace Barcelona. Has anyone stayed there recently and is it in a safe area? It is on the map by the magic fountains area. I appreciate all your help...i thought the pre transfers might make it a little easier and safer for us... thanks!!

we are going to stay two days pre cruise in barcelona. after reading the reviews of the pickpockets i must say it has scared me quite a bit. we will be on the carnival sunshine.. one of their precruise hotels with transfers is the Fila Palace Barcelona. Has anyone stayed there recently and is it in a safe area? It is on the map by the magic fountains area. I appreciate all your help...i thought the pre transfers might make it a little easier and safer for us... thanks!!

Do you mean "Fira" Palace hotel....Sorry, but read the reviews and location on Trip Advisor..Wouldn't be my choice..You should find it just as easy and safe to book a hotel on or near the Las Ramblas area..Take a taxi...no need to book your hotel & transfers through your cruiseline..You will do much better booking on your own..Please don't be scared by posts you have read...just take the normal precautions you would anywhere you travel and enjoy this city !!!

Have a look at my list of hotels

Barcelona Hotel List

It is an alphabetical list of hotels

Click on the hotel name to go to the hotel's website

The list shows

- star rating

- price level compared to average for that star rating (€ = very cheap to €€€€€ = very expensive)

- locality/where it is near

- Smoking information (as at August 2012) - subject to change - please check with hotel

...... 100% NS = Hotel 100% Non Smoking

...... Sm rooms = Smoking rooms available

...... blank = No information- hotels that have rooms for 3+ people and details of those rooms

- comments from people who have stayed at the hotels

Smoking information (as at August 2012) - subject to change - please check with hotel

100% NS = Hotel 100% Non Smoking

Sm rooms = Smoking rooms available

blank = No information

Carol - that's a great list!

As far as the original question - I would just find a hotel you like and get a taxi. It's easy and probably faster than the ship's transport.

We stayed at Casa Camper - not the cheapest but great location, good service and free food and drink 24 hours.

I think it was 14 euros with tip hotel to port for 2 people.

• 2 months later...
Hi,

We've booked the Hotel 4 in Barcelon for two nights prior to our cruise on 26th January. There don't appear to be any bad reports about this one, only good ones.

Mandie

The only thing I would say is that it is a bit away from the centre in more of a business/commercial district than a tourist district. If that doesn't bother you then you should be fine.

I stayed once at Hotel Colon; it was right near the Plaza; I printed out the hotel page and handed it to the taxi driver to make sure he knew where to take me; I got a taxi at the airport; I arranged to have a taxi take me to the port through the hotel; the next time I stayed at the Hotel Jazz; near the Plaza; very nice modern; and again took taxi from airport and ordered a taxi from the hotel to take me to the port; It was convenient for me to hand the driver the hotel page because they don't speak English; and, yes, go on to trip advisor, they have a lot of information about the hotels and go on the Europe thread, I read a lot from that

• 2 weeks later...
I stayed once at Hotel Colon; it was right near the Plaza; I printed out the hotel page and handed it to the taxi driver to make sure he knew where to take me; I got a taxi at the airport; I arranged to have a taxi take me to the port through the hotel; the next time I stayed at the Hotel Jazz; near the Plaza; very nice modern; and again took taxi from airport and ordered a taxi from the hotel to take me to the port; It was convenient for me to hand the driver the hotel page because they don't speak English; and, yes, go on to trip advisor, they have a lot of information about the hotels and go on the Europe thread, I read a lot from that

tahoemw, I am considering both of these hotels for my stay but I can't decide which area is more central. Some people say to stay near the top of the Ramblas, yet this is near the cathedral and it has great reviews. Which do you say was more conveniently located to the main sites and to public transportation? Thanks in advance.

Carol our accommodations are at 44 Passeig de Gracia - we were told it is right across from Casa Batllo, do you know if this is accurate? I am having trouble finding it on Google Earth.

Thanks!

Looking at the address Passeig de Gràcia, 44 it appears to be 2 restaurants (both belonging to the AN group of restaurants)

Tapa Tapa is on the ground floor and Restaurant Citrus is on the first floor. They are on the corner of Passeig de Gràcia and Consell de Cent

It is near Passeig de Gràcia metro station and almost opposite Casa Batlló.

I cannot see any hotel or apartments at that address – unless there are apartments above the restaurants.

What is the name of the place you are booked into to?

Here are links to the restaurants at that address

Tapa Tapa

Restaurant Citrus

Also, just across the road and towards Plaza de Cataluña is a restaurant called La Vaca Paca. It is an ‘all you can eat’ buffet for around €10. In my opinion it is excellent value for money, especially if you are very hungry.

La Vaca Paca

Hi Carol, having a hard time finding a hotel with availability for 3 adults. I don't see Hoyel continental or Hotel Continental Palacete on your list. Do you have any info?

Those hotels are on the list. Look under the "C's" for Continental.

The areas to look at if you want to be near the beach are

Barceloneta – this is the beach nearest the centre of Barcelona and is about 20 minutes walk from Las Ramblas. It gets very crowded, especially at weekends.

Diagonal Mar - between Avinguda Diagonal and the sea. There is a very large shopping centre in this area.

Olympic Port – about 10 minutes by metro to the centre of the city

Although these are generally beach areas, check each hotel’s description to see how far it is from the beach.

All the beaches are public although, don’t forget, beaches in Europe are ‘topless’ and a couple of beaches in Barcelona are ‘nude’ beaches. If nudity is likely to offend you then avoid La Mar Bella (near Bogatell beach) and Playa Sant Sebastià

Playa Sant Sebastià is between Barceloneta and W Hotel

La Mar Bella is a more northerly beach and there is a large sand dune which gives some screening for privacy. It always means you are less likely to come across it accidentally.

Here is a link which shows an interactive map of the various beaches in Barcelona. It also shows nearby places of interest. The page is in Spanish but you can still see where things are.

Thanks Clarea. Can you or Carol tell me the neighborhood name to look for hotels by the beach? I remember the marina is at the end of Las Rambles but how far is the beach from there? Are the beaches all public or are some private? Thanks!

As English_In_Spain correctly pointed out, you would need to look for a hotel either in the "Barceloneta", Diagonal Mar or Olympic Port.

Personally an ideal hotel would be the Hilton Diagonal Mar, it is in a great location and the service/standards at the hotel are very high.

Looking at the address Passeig de Gràcia, 44 it appears to be 2 restaurants (both belonging to the AN group of restaurants)

Tapa Tapa is on the ground floor and Restaurant Citrus is on the first floor. They are on the corner of Passeig de Gràcia and Consell de Cent

It is near Passeig de Gràcia metro station and almost opposite Casa Batlló.

I cannot see any hotel or apartments at that address – unless there are apartments above the restaurants.

What is the name of the place you are booked into to?

Here are links to the restaurants at that address

Tapa Tapa

Restaurant Citrus

Also, just across the road and towards Plaza de Cataluña is a restaurant called La Vaca Paca. It is an ‘all you can eat’ buffet for around €10. In my opinion it is excellent value for money, especially if you are very hungry.

La Vaca Paca

It is Tendency Group and could very well be above the restaurants as we are on the 6th floor.

Oh! Fabulous!! Thank you for the restaurant info - I will have 3 young men with me - ages 15, 18 and 22 and all you can eat sounds fantastic!!!

Archived