Why Are Other Lines So Much More Expensive

TravelGal22

Looking to do a cruise that includes St. Lucia and would like to try another cruise line just to see what it is like. They cost so much more than Carnival and I don't understand why. Could someone that has been on a different line please explain this to me?

The other lines generally have much better entertainment and shows. Carnival has been very good at keeping the overall cost of a cruise down by cutting out a lot of the fat.

The live band on the Lido replaced by big screen with djs, djs in the dance lounge, shows are very so so, not expensive productions.

I think it depends on what you are cruising for.

We like the prices and the food is still pretty good. After we use up our FCCs we got last trip we will probably explore other lines, but for now Carnival fits our needs.

I can comment on Celebrity since I've cruised with them several times, the service and staff are over the top wonderful. They greet you at the door with champagne or OJ when you first arrive. Coming in from port there will be lines with ice water and cool clothes to refresh with.

Staff will stop you in the buffet and carry your tray if they are walking by empty handed, just really good service.

Love the buffet on Celebrity too, hate it on Carnival, but for the prices, we can eat at the deli or at the MDR and get along just fine.

Carole

We also wonder why some lines like Holland America were sooo much more expensive than Carnival for a similar cruise??

Here in San Diego we have enjoyed several 8-10 day Mexico cruises on Carnival but they are not doing them any more.

We booked an 8 day Holland America Cruise to similar ports and then realized that they were charging more than double the price! Since we couldn't figure out what we'd be getting for all that extra money we canceled the cruise! We could afford to pay the difference but we just didn't feel we'd be getting enough value for the money!

Everyone has different ideas of how they want to spend their dollars. Only you can decide if it is worth it to you.

Holland America and Princess. I'm looking for a quieter experience.

Lower passenger to crew ratio, so labor costs are probably considerably higher. I would expect perhaps higher food cost, higher maintenance (perhaps better maintained ships), perhaps higher capital costs (maybe higher quality finishes on and decor).

A Lexus generally costs considerably more than a Toyota, even though they are usually structurally very similar.

Wife wants to try a more upscale line in the future - perhaps Princess or Celebrity will suffice. I don't mind trying, to see just what you get for the higher fare. We've never done Disney because of how much more their cruises cost. After two Royal Caribbean cruises, I don't think I'd pay a premium again for RCI over Carnival.

Well, I have only been on three cruises. I kind of did it the opposite way that most people do - I started with Regent (luxury line), then Celebrity (slightly upscale), then Carnival (mass market). Differences I saw:

1) Guest to staff ratio. On Regent there were literally staff standing everywhere ready to assist you. You didn't carry your own drinks to the table even at the buffet. Even on Celebrity, it seemed like anytime we came to our cabin, our cabin steward was outside the door and opened it for us. On Carnival, I think I saw my cabin steward twice in five days.

2) What's included. On Regent all alcoholic beverages were included, all sports equipment (this was a Tahiti cruise), pretty much everything you can think of except premium wines at dinner. And of course, it seemed like they handed out free champagne at the drop of a hat. On Celebrity, no alcohol included, but got a glass of champagne handed to you as you boarded.

3) Quality of room service. HUGE difference. Regent's was as good as the dining room. Celebrity had an extensive room service menu, but wasn't always piping hot. Carnival - well, I've never had their room service because the menu is so limited it's a joke.

4) Quality of Food. Honestly didn't see a big difference between the quality of the food on Regent and Celebrity. Maybe I caught Celebrity on a good cruise :) The Sunday brunch and the evening chocolate buffet on Celebrity were unbelievable! I especially noticed the difference in food quality on the buffets. I still think Carnival's MDR food is pretty good, but the buffets, not so much.

5) LINES/Crowding - I would consider a more upscale line just for this reason alone. Never waited in a buffet line once on Regent. Celebrity was a bit crowded, but no real lines. Carnival you wait in line for everything. And just not as much of a zoo in the pool area. Still had a little trouble finding chairs in the pool area on sea days on Celebrity, but not as much as on Carnival.

Obviously, lots more differences, but those are my biggies. FYI - I still like cruising with Carnival - kind of like the "fun ship" atmosphere :D

For the same reason why staying at a Holiday Inn is cheaper than staying at a Westin or a Hyatt.

All are hotel chains, but that doesn't mean they are the same product. The same can be said for cruise lines.

Ambiance, level of service, accomodations, ship decor and quality, type of activities, shows, cuisine, and clientele are just some of the things in which these cruise lines are different.

Carnival is a budget cruise line, and that's how they market themselves.

I've never sailed Carnival, but have sailed Holland America once and Norwegian Cruise Line once.

I felt that the service, food, and entertainment were of higher quality on Holland America than on NCL. I felt the food in HAL was a lot fancier. Not saying that NCL are not good. I still had a great time with NCL, and will definitely still consider NCL. They are good, but not as good. Also, with HAL you get bathtub starting in oceanview rooms, whereas for many other lines, you'll get a shower unless booked in a suite.

Personally though, since HAL is indeed more expensive, I don't see myself sailing with them anytime soon, even though I really like them alot. I will also stick with cheaper lines for now, so I get to cruise more :)

We are doing our 1st Carnival cruise in 25 days, so I can't speak as an authority. We have been on Celebrity several times, and HAL once. I have bunches of friends who have only sailed on Carnival, and I've done loads of research, and I think its safe to say that the food and ambiance are much different on the two lines. That's not to say that one is better than the other, but they are different. Food for example - most will say that the MDR on Carnival is like Applebee's or a good sit down restaurant. The Celebrity MDR is more like Ruth's Chris or a fine dining restaurant. We don't often go out even to Applebee's, so I will have nothing to complain about eating at that quality of a restaurant for a week:) However, it is not the same as on Celebrity.

I know that there is lots of fun on a Carnival ship, but on Celebrity it is much more refined. My wife and I enjoy going to the Symphony (Celebrity), but we also enjoy seeing stand-up comedy or a concert at the River Center in Baton Rouge (Carnival). Hard to say one is better than the other, but the symphony does cost more.

Finally, I don't think the cost is always more. We are going to Alaska on Celebrity in May. We have an Aqua Class cabin that went for $1,499. There are not the same type of cabins on Carnival, but the closest match would be $1,339. However, we get pre-paid gratuities with our TA on Celebrity, which makes the price close to the same. We are looking at a repositioning cruise next fall, and for identical balcony cabins the Celebrity Cruise is actually $40 cheaper, and I get pre-paid gratuities. (The Carnival Cruise is one day longer though).

I know that we will enjoy our upcoming cruise on Carnival, but I don't expect it to be the same as our Celebrity experiences. Still, depending on who we are cruising with we may sometimes desire the Carnival experience over Celebrity. But just like McDonalds is different than Golden Corral, which is different than Applebee's, which is different than Ruth's Chris, which is different that a fine dining place...Cruise lines also are different. Go with what you enjoy at a price you can afford.

Hi Tim and Gayle.....nicely said..... and Richard and I think you will enjoy our Carnival Conquest cruise coming on December 2nd:D

We have also cruised on Celebrity, and yes it did have a little more ambiance, and we also enjoyed having our drinks and trays politely taken to our table for us when we ate in the buffet.

However, we are pretty young in mind, body and spirit for being in our 60's, we love to dance and listen to music and have fun while on board!

One of the main things we noticed on Celebrity was that you could throw a bowling ball down any passageway after 9pm and you wouldn't be in any danger of hitting another passenger :o...they roll everything up pretty early on Celebrity...at least that was our experience! But, that wouldn't stop us from sailing on her again if the price was right and the itinerary was good.

We will all be having a lot of fun in 25 days on the Conquest...see you on board:D

We sailed HAL on our honeymoon to Alaska and it wasn't that much more than Carnival, but it was more expensive. A great cruise! Some things were different, but overall a similar experience.

And since then, now that we have sailed them once, we get INCREDIBLE sale offers from them.

Just today I got an email about a 7 day Eastern C. Cruise going to Grand Turk, San Juan, St Thomas and HMC for only $387 for an ocean view. What a deal! I just wish we lived closer to Florisa and had unlimited vacation time to take advantage of some of their offers.

Their 'sales' seem to actually offer a price saving compared to Carnival's.

We also wonder why some lines like Holland America were sooo much more expensive than Carnival for a similar cruise??

Here in San Diego we have enjoyed several 8-10 day Mexico cruises on Carnival but they are not doing them any more.

We booked an 8 day Holland America Cruise to similar ports and then realized that they were charging more than double the price! Since we couldn't figure out what we'd be getting for all that extra money we canceled the cruise! We could afford to pay the difference but we just didn't feel we'd be getting enough value for the money!

Everyone has different ideas of how they want to spend their dollars. Only you can decide if it is worth it to you.

I agree,I'm happy what I get from Carnival.I would rather cruise 3 times a yr then one time. Some of the other lines have more older folks, I'm one of the older folks but kids and young people party don't bother me. I'm not hard to please. Food is find with me and I cruise so ofter that the shows don't matter much. I have seen them all

I'm thinking that your necessity of stopping at St. Lucia is causing the difference. Having a stop that specific in an itinerary may be tying you to an apples and oranges comparison. I have cruised Carnival, HAL, Princess, and RCCL. That said, the cheapest fares I have ever found out of Florida for the Caribbean cruises I have taken were on Princess and HAL. I'm looking at a January Princess Cay, Aruba, Curacao itinerary on Princess that is under $1,600 for two people for a balcony including all taxes. Seven day HAL Caribbean cruises out of FLL are rather inexpensive. Some of the prices I have seen for next fall on these two lines are among the lowest I have seen in the last five years. On the other hand, I usually find RCCL to be the most expensive of the four.

I would love to tell you, but can't afford another cruiseline so cannot compare. I was gifted my first cruise which was RC, then after liking it we found out we could only afford Carnival every 1-2 years. We preferred our RC experiance but are satisfied with Carnival. We cruise for ports, avoid Lido deck all week and see only a few shows and mostly eat in the buffet not the MDR, so we are pretty simple. We wander and rarely book excursions (once) and don't gamble and only book insides.

I have noticed NCL is getting about as low as Carnival so we are hoping to snag a cruise in December of 2013 or January 2014!!!!! Yahoo!!!!!

If there was a cheaper cruise line, I'd try it. Cut all the fancy atriums, only buffets etc... As mentioned, since we cruise for ports, ship can be plain.

Something for everyone though is out there.

We have sailed Princess, Disney and Carnival. All very different but similar in many ways as well. Princess was VERY quiet and reserved. When we went (Alaska Sept) it was an older clientele, almost no kids. (Worked for us since we left the kids at home) The service on Princess was excellent and I don't remember a lot of lines for things like the buffet or chairs by the pool. We enjoyed this ship and the service very much.

Next we sailed on Disney. A spectacular and gorgeous (and expensive!) ship. The service was just OK and it was CROWDED all the time, everywhere. Elevators were a nightmare and there were lines in the buffet just like with Carnival. The food was a little more upscale but nothing memorable (nothing that knocked my socks off like the Warm Choc Melting Cake) The shows and entertainment were awesome, though...with Disney that is what you pay for, fireworks at sea, Disney calibur shows, first run movies, Disney characters, etc.

Our last cruise was on Carnival and yes the lines were long and there were a lot of people but we really enjoyed it VERY much and you get a lot more for your money! We liked the food better on Carnival than both Princess and Disney but we are pretty down to earth when it comes to dining. Also, the kids program we liked best on Carnival..that made it REALLY worth it for us. You get what you pay for but we found with Carnival your money goes a lot further.

We have sailed both Carnival and Princess and to me large differences. Princess wins every time. Quieter with better cabins. Carnival has larger cabins but how much time do you spend in there. Last week on Destiny we were in it a lot because the ship bored us to tears. The food is better prepared with smaller quantities that are replaced often. The shows are of higher quality. Staff is there in all dining venues for your drinks. Real place settings at all tables. Princess doesn't blink about bringing a case of wine on board. So they mark up the ticket and cover bar losses. We hung out for a week in the aft adult pool area with mellow music and children policed out. Being back on Carnival last convinced us it is time to move on. I rather cruise once or twice a year, the way it used to be, then more times cheaper. I'd love to live in Fla but we still only do balconies.

We have sailed with Carnival, Celebrity, Disney, RCL and Holland America. HAL is not always more expensive. It depends on when you go. For example, Eurodam in early to mid December starts at $399 inside and $650 for a balcony guarantee for 7 day Caribbean cruise. We chose between that trip and an 8 day on Carnival the same time. Carnival was actually a little higher, but offered 8 days.

Disney is always pricey, but they have a monopoly on Mickey Mouse. Celebrity does have more personalized service, as does HAL. RCL's product is comparable to Carnival. If you want the flow rider, skating rink, etc., try them. Carnival offers perhaps the most value for the buck, but all my cruises have been a blast with good food and service.

Have a great trip whatever cruise line you choose.

Carnival gives such good deals it's just hard to pass up. Maybe I will try a short cruise on one of the other lines just to try them out.

short cruises won't tell you anything. Carnival Sensation and RCCL's Monarch of the Seas were my two worst cruises and they were the short Bahama's runs. The food is much worse on the short cruises IMHO.

I think some of the lines are more expensive because they offer more than fried chicken and meatloaf. :D

Archived