Why Are Other Lines So Much More Expensive

TravelGal22

I just looked at Celebrity and there was a very affordable cruise that went to St. Lucia. Thinking of booking for next Dec.

If you're looking at the 12/14/13 sailing of the Summit out of San Juan, remember that airfare could be problematic coming home on 12/21 because of the proximity to Christmas. Other options for the same price are 11/2 & 11/16, while the 11/30 sailing is 50 bucks cheaper @ 449 plus taxes....a fantastic rate for Celebrity.

If you're looking at the 12/14/13 sailing of the Summit out of San Juan, remember that airfare could be problematic coming home on 12/21 because of the proximity to Christmas. Other options for the same price are 11/2 & 11/16, while the 11/30 sailing is 50 bucks cheaper @ 449 plus taxes....a fantastic rate for Celebrity.

I wouldn't want to go so close to the holidays anyway because I want to avoid allot of young children. Maybe early Dec. or late Nov.

I read in one of the above post that it is better to book late with Celebrity than early on. When would be a good time to look back? Do need a mid ship cabin though because my husband gets sea sick so we go toward the middle as much as possible.

If you are traveling with children or teens why would you spend the money to go on a more expensive cruise line. They don't drink' date=' they don't eat gourmet, they could care less if someone makes their bed three times a day (do they ever sleep in a made bed at home) they don't usually fall all over themselves trying to be first in line for the crooner or the piano player on the ship, and they certainly aren't out and about on the ship searching for that perfect quiet spot, and if they can drink 100s of dollars worth of pop in a day I would say that they may have a real addiction problem.

Our family is going on Carnival this time around 'cause the teens love the big screen, the water slides, the rope course, their own "night club". They love the "comfort food" in the dining room, drink tons of lemonade, play basketball on the court. They love the fact that they get to meet other teenagers, especially my niece who loves that she is traveling with her male cousins and gets to meet their new friends.

Now I know these kids have no interest in Disney (that stopped when they were eight), would be bored stiff if the ship played chamber music, and would sulk for days if the only other passengers were high brow folks with their noses in the air and the only food was strange to their palette.

By no means is "expensive" always the "best" option. I think it is great that Carnival offers a cruise that is adjusted to the wants and needs of the entire family....Once this cruise is over I'll be scheduling one with my same age widowed Aunt on one of the elite lines 'cause we want to get the royal treatment one last time before we turn toes up...and based on the cost that statement may not be in jest.

Not sure what cruiseline you'd have to sail to find these passengers; I've tried several and this is a bizarre mis-characterization.

You get what you pay for.

Almost slave labor for the crew. (the cruise line pays very little)

Wages are made up from the collective begging called tips.

Thats all cruise lines.

Ships are cheap to maintain with that type of labor. (who built the pyramids)

CCL caters to a cheaper style of client.

I wouldn't want to go so close to the holidays anyway because I want to avoid allot of young children. Maybe early Dec. or late Nov.

I read in one of the above post that it is better to book late with Celebrity than early on. When would be a good time to look back? Do need a mid ship cabin though because my husband gets sea sick so we go toward the middle as much as possible.

If you're thinking about the Summit, the best option is the 11/30 sailing. An OV cabin is 549 + tax booking directly through Celebrity. Of course you could save a little if you book elsewhere. I found a popular unmentioned agency that is offering the same cabins for 509, plus 75 per cabin in OBC. I would do a posting over on the Celebrity boards and get some opinions over there as to whether it is better to pull the trigger or wait. Good luck.

But hardly the same product. Mass Market? Yes. So is HAL, Princess, Celebrity. All charge more than Carnival because they offer more.

I don't know why people try to make Carnival something they are not.

Energy doesn't cost extra. That's why it's cheaper to cruise on Carnival.

I've crused both lines a number of times, RCI and Carnival are about the same.

I think I smell some sort of agenda here. Pretty typical for Cruise Critic.

It's really pretty simple, if you think RCI is better cruise them and don't cruise Carnival.

For the same reason why staying at a Holiday Inn is cheaper than staying at a Westin or a Hyatt.

All are hotel chains, but that doesn't mean they are the same product. The same can be said for cruise lines.

Ambiance, level of service, accomodations, ship decor and quality, type of activities, shows, cuisine, and clientele are just some of the things in which these cruise lines are different.

Carnival is a budget cruise line, and that's how they market themselves.

Agree completely.

From someone who has sailed on 5 different cruise lines (Holland America, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Carnival) it is all in the product itself. YES, you might be visiting the same ports of call, but quality of which you get there is different from entertainment, passenger to staff ratio, food, even down to the bedding/linens, etc. as well as common areas is what constitutes the cost. Our favorite lines are Princess and Royal Caribbean because it is still budget wise for us (sometimes you can get awesome deals). We love the quality of service on Celebrity too, but they are a bit pricey for us and there are several added on board expenses with them as well. Holland America was a one time mistake for us (hubby calls it the blue-hair line since they tend to have a larger senior demographic). Carnival is a good "budget" vacation for us when we are dying for a cruise and want to be money smart.

Thats all cruise lines.

So if we cruise CCL, we are a cheaper style of client?:confused: Don't consider myself cheap, just hate paying for something I don't use. Platinum on CCL and RCI and like each for different reasons. CCL is usually cheaper, but not always. Still can find good rates on all lines.:D

It's really pretty simple, if you think RCI is better cruise them and don't cruise Carnival.

Exactly, cruise on the line you prefer as no line is "best for all." DW and I don't really prefer 1 line over another at this point in our life. We cruise when we decide to, which line appeals at the time, and in the room category we're willing to pay for that cruise.

Choosing CCL has made me able to take two cruises within 6 months while working a PART TIME (albeit well paying) job. I don't care about high brow or low brow or no brow. I care about having a good time. And we definitely did with CCL! Which is why we chose it again.

Good read on the different cruise lines...

We have just done Carnival in the winter months where we get the best deal...

Going on the Magic Nov. 25th for $379 pp plus port tax, not bad for a 7 day cruise on a new ship...:D

We got the "Pack & Go" so had to keep searching Carnival until it popped up...

We have looked at the other cruise lines, now looking at NC as the Jewell is ported in New Orleans which is a 9 hour drive for us...

Due to our budget we need to drive to Galveston (2 hour drive) & have CC & RCI to chose from...

If we lived in south Florida we would have more choice...

We are happy with Carnival BUT I wish they would bring back the STEEL DRUMS....:rolleyes:

Thats all cruise lines.

That's just wrong.

Carnival gets the same folks who might cruise RCI or NCL.

BTW why are you even on a cruise board at all?

Why waste your time on low class trash like us?

Why? Because Phineas Taylor Barnum was right! :p

{whether he said it or not}

Aw, Come on Sargent...Just because some people spend their money on a cheap mass market cruise line doesn't doesn't make them fools:D Or did you mean it the other way?:rolleyes:

LOL at the people who tell you not to cruise Carnival if you don't think they are the best cruise line out there.

I used to think that RCI and Carnival were more similar until I sailed on the newer and larger ships. Then I realized that there's a bigger difference between the two.

I like Carnival for some things and Royal Caribbean for others. Pricing and availability on Carnival is better. Royal Caribbean offers more beautiful ships, better activities and attention to detail.'

It's all about persona preference. I may prefer chicken over beef, but that doesn't mean that I should always eat chicken. Right? :)

Cunard Diamond member.....the QM2 has a passenger mix from Europe, Asia and South America. Very elegant ship but dressy. Smoking in cabins, balcony and public bars. I have only done Transatlantics on Cunard ships which tends to draw a clientele that likes the sea experience. More sedate activities. We are going home on Mary in April 2013.

In the old days of the QE2 you had regluars and celebrities who used the ship as a busline across the Atlantic and it was posh. Not so much with a sales pitch for newer economic markets, specials and other incentives for traveling on the Queens.

Celebrity Elite Member. Not so much in love with this Cruise Line anymore. My favorite ship was the Constellation due to its size and cabins. Taken the Eclipse many times and not thrilled with the Aqua/Concierge level for many reasons. The cabins are either under, above or near issues for me. Last was a C1 near the Aft where on a calm sea day I could tell the menu by he aromas wafting by. It says it is a non smoking ship with areas designated for smoking but on a TA the Europeans lit up on their balconies. Speciality restaurants are wonderful, great bars and entertainment but not loving the cabins and layout. Think they go out of their way to get you off the balcony and into the spa, bars and other public spaces. :)))

Carnival have not traveled as often but we are doing TA in April 2013 with a Suite. I am looking forward to a relaxed attitude and if there is a lower staff to cruiser I love it. I hated being obligated to greet, meet and remember names as it was a time for a winddown. The ideas of less is more sounds intriging.

Since I do not fly I have taken may cruises out of neccessity so perhaps I am more concerned with where to then how much fun. Hope this helps.

Our closest port is Tampa so here is a comparison just on price. Each ship brings with it differing things.

All western Carribean, all generally the same ports, all prices listed are for 4 people in 1 cabin, all are OV cabins bottom level price for the first 2 weeks of December 2013 (when we are looking for our next cruise)

7 Day choices

Carnival Legend $1855.92

( This is es rate also the french door cabins which are priced as interiors can be had for less around $1700ish)

NCL Norwegian Dawn $2014.96

(be advised this is lowest full view window there are portholes and obstructed view cabins for less)

HAL Ryndam $3413.72 :eek:

(currently the 3 and 4 persons are at a fare of $788.43...:eek: one would hope this cost would go down before sailing if not :confused:)

5 Day choices

Carnival Paradise $1152.32

RCL Brilliance of the Seas $1679.20

Is the brilliance worth $500 more than paradise? Paradise is old and "small" but we found her to be in great shape and having an excellent crew.

Hal can go jump off a cliff given that rate. No way its worth double! Is it?

Is the brilliance worth $500 more than paradise?

I have priced out the Brilliance of the Seas vs. the Carnival Paradise since Tampa is one of my "drive-to" ports. Personally, I would pay the extra $500 to sail on the Brilliance. It's an absolutely beautiful ship, with more dining options, many more balconies, and a more refined experience. Not that there's anything wrong with the Paradise, but this is one of those instances that I would pay a few hundred bucks extra to get the cruise that I would really like.

About Holland America's Ryndam out of Tampa, for me, she's not worth twice the price, BUT I'm sure there's plenty of people who will consider sailing on a smaller ship with better space to passengers ratio, more upscale and personal service, more refined atmosphere, better cuisine, and surrounded by other cruisers of similar demographics, well worth the upcharge! Otherwise, HAL wouldn't be able to get away with charging those prices

Our closest port is Tampa so here is a comparison just on price. Each ship brings with it differing things.

All western Carribean, all generally the same ports, all prices listed are for 4 people in 1 cabin, all are OV cabins bottom level price for the first 2 weeks of December 2013 (when we are looking for our next cruise)

7 Day choices

Carnival Legend $1855.92

( This is es rate also the french door cabins which are priced as interiors can be had for less around $1700ish)

NCL Norwegian Dawn $2014.96

(be advised this is lowest full view window there are portholes and obstructed view cabins for less)

HAL Ryndam $3413.72 :eek:

(currently the 3 and 4 persons are at a fare of $788.43...:eek: one would hope this cost would go down before sailing if not :confused:)

5 Day choices

Carnival Paradise $1152.32

RCL Brilliance of the Seas $1679.20

Is the brilliance worth $500 more than paradise? Paradise is old and "small" but we found her to be in great shape and having an excellent crew.

Forgive my ignorance can you clarify the french door concept on Carnival?

Forgive my ignorance can you clarify the french door concept on Carnival?

The legend and her 3 sisters of the spirit class have a stateroom class called interior with french doors. Its basically a balcony room with no balcony. Lifeboats obstruct the view or lifeboat machinery. Some have better views than others, all of these cabins are on deck 4.

So its a interior price cabin but natural light and fresh air as the doors do open. A railing blocks you from going out on the catwalks around the lifeboats.

Don't act so surprised.

CCL is a cheaper chuise line.

Ncl is the only cheaper one.

I read a lot of posts.

Thats what a high percentage of ccl clients want.

Don't act like your's is such a high horse.

Its carnival. The low price leader.

Noe why does ccl even have suites on their ships?

You can look at cheaper as in total price or as in total value. Would I rather do the Valor for a $699 balcony or the Oasis/Allure at $899? For me, no question I would rather do the Oasis/Allure. The ship experience and service was hands down, much better than anything we have experienced on CCL. The shows on the Oasis made any show we have seen on CCL look like community theater.

If you're thinking about the Summit, the best option is the 11/30 sailing. An OV cabin is 549 + tax booking directly through Celebrity. Of course you could save a little if you book elsewhere. I found a popular unmentioned agency that is offering the same cabins for 509, plus 75 per cabin in OBC. I would do a posting over on the Celebrity boards and get some opinions over there as to whether it is better to pull the trigger or wait. Good luck.

I'm doing the 12/1 Celebrity Summit sailing. I booked in May, and I paid $449 for an inside; $549 for OV. The rates the other day were $698 for both. My TA said the rates were in the $800 range for OV a few months ago. I'd pull the trigger now when you know the price is great! You can always get it adjusted up until final payment.

Well, I have only been on three cruises. I kind of did it the opposite way that most people do - I started with Regent (luxury line), then Celebrity (slightly upscale), then Carnival (mass market). Differences I saw:

1) Guest to staff ratio. On Regent there were literally staff standing everywhere ready to assist you. You didn't carry your own drinks to the table even at the buffet. Even on Celebrity, it seemed like anytime we came to our cabin, our cabin steward was outside the door and opened it for us. On Carnival, I think I saw my cabin steward twice in five days.

2) What's included. On Regent all alcoholic beverages were included, all sports equipment (this was a Tahiti cruise), pretty much everything you can think of except premium wines at dinner. And of course, it seemed like they handed out free champagne at the drop of a hat. On Celebrity, no alcohol included, but got a glass of champagne handed to you as you boarded.

3) Quality of room service. HUGE difference. Regent's was as good as the dining room. Celebrity had an extensive room service menu, but wasn't always piping hot. Carnival - well, I've never had their room service because the menu is so limited it's a joke.

4) Quality of Food. Honestly didn't see a big difference between the quality of the food on Regent and Celebrity. Maybe I caught Celebrity on a good cruise :) The Sunday brunch and the evening chocolate buffet on Celebrity were unbelievable! I especially noticed the difference in food quality on the buffets. I still think Carnival's MDR food is pretty good, but the buffets, not so much.

5) LINES/Crowding - I would consider a more upscale line just for this reason alone. Never waited in a buffet line once on Regent. Celebrity was a bit crowded, but no real lines. Carnival you wait in line for everything. And just not as much of a zoo in the pool area. Still had a little trouble finding chairs in the pool area on sea days on Celebrity, but not as much as on Carnival.

Obviously, lots more differences, but those are my biggies. FYI - I still like cruising with Carnival - kind of like the "fun ship" atmosphere :D

The above posting is excellent, so more about that later.

I'm not sure how useful it is to post along the lines of "the food on XYZ is better than Carnival". What does that mean, the food is better. Does it mean that you like it better, that there is a wider selection, or do you really believe that the potatoes used on XYZ cruise line are of a finer, higher quality variety than the potatoes used on Carnival?

As for the posters saying, "it's like comparing the Holiday Inn to the Weston", I don't think that is too useful either. I think the original poster gets it that Carnival is a lower-priced product, but why? The Holiday Inn is probably cheaper because it has smaller rooms, is located a little further from prime real-estate, tends to have less opulent facilities (e.g., no grand lobby) and much less luxurious furniture and fixtures in the room (no marble or granite). It likely also has a lower staff-to-guest ratio.

So why is Carnival usually (but not always, as various posters have pointed out) cheaper than higher-end lines. The posting above seems to give a pretty good summary, which just confirms for me that the higher-priced lines are really just more expensive and therefore a lower value. I appreciate that this is a matter of personal preference. But my comments on the points above would be:

1. Staff to guest ratio: if the "benefit" is having someone carry my drinks at the buffet and someone opening my cabin door for me, I'll take a pass. I'll stop carrying my own drinks the minute I'm no longer physically capable of doing so. And having someone lingering around as I walk down the corridor just so they can open my cabin door seems a little creepy.

2. Having alcohol included would be a valuable benefit. But a free glass of champagne here or there would explain, what, at most $20 in the difference in the fare?

3. Room service. I don't think I've ever had room service on a cruise. There's nothing wrong with it, and I like my cabin enough that I'm usually willing to pay for a balcony. But if I'm on a cruise, I'll usually take the opportunity to have the cruise ship experience rather than acting like I'm in a hotel room with no restaurants for miles around.

4. Quality of food. I agree with the above poster that this isn't really a factor.

5. Lines/crowding. While I'm not a fan of waiting in line, I rarely find this to be a big issue with the buffets on Carnival. What is the average waiting time (which I would calculate as the difference between the total flow-through time and the total time it would have taken had I been the only one at the buffet)? Maybe 2-3 minutes? So take 5 minutes per day (2 meals at the buffet) and multiply by 6. So for a week long cruise, I probably stand in line for 30 minutes. I know what my hourly salary is. Again, not much of an explanation for a significant difference in cabin fare.

I've also seen posts that the entertainment is better on other lines. This may be the case, but I don't go on cruise ships to "be entertained", so I rarely attend any shows. As a result, I put no value on "better entertainement".

Again, I do think this is a matter of personal preference. Some will pay extra to have a steward stalking passengers to open their doors. Others do see the value in "better" entertainment. I do think others will pay more because they can (i.e., they want to perpetuate the perception that they are getting something "better", so they pay more so they can say it is better).

I haven't sailed exclusively with Carnival, but until someone offers a significantly better product for that premium price, I'll probably continue to sail Carnival much more often than any other line.

Between Carnival & Celebrity, I would say: Service, luxurious ambiance, and amenities.

For us, even though we felt the Carnival MDR food (definitely the dessert) was better and I thought the CD did a better "Fun Ship" job, we bought a Celebrity Open Passages (i.e. a FCC) because of the qualities I listed at first. There was real art on board, there were nature specialists and educational lectures, there wasn't as much push for the upcharges (except the specialty restaurants), and my wife preferred the shows. Neither of us are interested in the nightclub scene so we didn't mind the quieter ship in the evenings.

Since the OP has me thinking about it, I would liken it to when we travel to Las Vegas a few times a year. There's Luxor, and there's Mandalay Bay next door. It's like taking a Carnival or a Celebrity cruise to the same ports, and we prefer MB for the increased luxury, and accept the increased price. Maybe one day we can be Regent / Wynn folks :p

Archived