question about documents

rebeccacleary

We are leaving from NYC onboard the NCL jewel on the 18th. My son turns 21 on that day. He currently holds a military dependent ID which is set to expire on the 18th. Can he use this at boarding as a form of ID? It's the 18th all day so in my mind, it's good til midnight. Do you think it will pass?

Usually, when something is set to expire on a certain day, it means at 12:01 a.m. that day. Some people interpret expiration dates differently however. I wouldn't take the chance by using that as a form of ID, especially if you don't have passports. If he chooses to use it, I would recommend other forms of picture ID as backups.

What form of ID does your son plan to use when he disembarks, seeing as his ID will be expired by then?

In all honesty, I'm not even sure they would accept a military dependent ID as a valid photo ID. Does your son not have a state driver's license he can use along with his birth certificate?

Some cruise lines will require the ID to be valid for another six months past the end of the cruise. We found out a week before our last cruise and had to rush to get a new passport issued for our son.

Yep. I'm cruising RCI in a couple weeks and I noticed that they require your passport to be valid for 6 months past the end of the cruise. Not sure how it is for NCL but I definitely wouldn't risk it!

NCL says it must be a valid government issued ID. I think that VALID is the operative word. Also a BC. Does he have a driver's license and BC?

http://www2.ncl.com/about/required-travel-documentation

Unrelated to the OP's question, but this definitely sounds like something from the 1950s:

"Note: Two people under the age of 21 may travel together in the same stateroom if they are a married couple and provide proof of marriage to an NCL representative at the pier before embarkation."

No sinners allowed on board. ;) :D

And then call the cruise line again with the same question, you might make three calls and get three different answers

Best to contact them by e-mail so that you can print out the response and take it with you.

We are leaving from NYC onboard the NCL jewel on the 18th. My son turns 21 on that day. He currently holds a military dependent ID which is set to expire on the 18th. Can he use this at boarding as a form of ID? It's the 18th all day so in my mind, it's good til midnight. Do you think it will pass?

He needs ID that's not going to expire while on your trip. Expired = invalid. He could get a state-issued ID card pretty quickly if he's got his birth certificate.

Archived