A Guessing Game...... What Is Next?

sail7seas

SurferGirlie reported in another thread here on this forum that today, on Eurodam, there was a charge for espresso and cappuccino served in Main Dining Room. This is the first I've heard of that. Seems to be new HAL policy and a new revenue stream. Until now, it was included in our fares.

She said it is still no added cost in Neptune Lounge.

What do you guess is the next now included thing that will be added to the 'pay extra for it' list?

I didn't 'see this coming' and it surprises and saddens me, though I never drink either.

SurferGirlie reported in another thread here on this forum that today, on Eurodam, there was a charge for espresso and cappuccino served in Main Dining Room.

Hideous :( Love my morning cappuccino...

I wouldn't begin to say what is next - may give them an idea! :rolleyes:;)

If this report is true about charging for cappuccino and espresso in the main dining room, that would be very disappointing. Even on Carnival, as of my last cruise which was January of 2012, there was no charge for those beverages in their main dining room.

If this report is true about charging for cappuccino and espresso in the main dining room, that would be very disappointing. Even on Carnival, as of my last cruise which was January of 2012, there was no charge for those beverages in their main dining room.

Look for it on all the Carnival Corp. lines.......

If they are doing it on HAL, expect it on Princess, Carnival et al

IMO

It makes HAL look cheap and cheesy IMO and I hate using those words to describe HAL but they have sunk to a level I hoped they would not do. To charge for a cup of coffee with breakfast, lunch and dinner.........

I know no one in Seattle will like this post but I am aware of that. It is disappointing to keep removing the touches that made HAL refined, dignified, tasteful and with grace. I understand they are a for profit company but raise the 'dam' prices before you dilute the product to something we don't recognize.

I'm sorry for those I may be offending but give it some thought, please.

Look for it on all the Carnival Corp. lines.......

If they are doing it on HAL, expect it on Princess, Carnival et al

IMO

It makes HAL look cheap and cheesy IMO and I hate using those words to describe HAL but they have sunk to a level I hoped they would not do. To charge for a cup of coffee with breakfast, lunch and dinner.........

Princess has always charged for specialty coffees at dinner, unfortunately. HAL offering cappuccino and espresso for no charge was one of the small niceties that separated them from Princess for me. I only had the cappuccinos once in a blue moon, but I'm still sorry to see it go.

I agree that it does look cheap and petty on HAL's part. I just hope they don't cut much more from here. :(

Its a fair question.

We look to Azamara now and again because so much IS included, though you pay a bit more in the fare. Nickel-and-diming at minimum is annoying and at some point in a HAL cruise you feel less an appreciated guest and more a dairy cow being prepped to be milked.

That is something you shouldn't feel and is one of the reasons I have said HAL is no longer a premium line.

Its a fair question.

We look to Azamara now and again because so much IS included, though you pay a bit more in the fare. Nickel-and-diming at minimum is annoying and at some point in a HAL cruise you feel less an appreciated guest and more a dairy cow being prepped to be milked.

That is something you shouldn't feel and is one of the reasons I have said HAL is no longer a premium line.

That is the point.

Some guests ARE paying a great deal more and they expect more than just more square footage. They do not expect to pay for coffee in the MDR at dinner.

If someone pays $399 for the week, their expectation in the MDR may be different than someone who pays ten and more times that. It is reasonable to expect a cup of espresso IMO Of course, the price will not impact the suite guest but no one should be charged IMO It leaves a very bad taste at the end of a meal. It takes the understaffed, over worked dining staff and the new lessened menus appear even 'less so'.

I realize I am making no friends with these posts but I care enough about the subject to write these comments anyway. I am always a 'tell it like it is' person and this is no exception.

Well, for what it's worth - I am really disappointed to hear this - we don't order it that much - it's not that big of a deal - but if the waiters are already overworked - then how are they going to have time to write up the bills:eek:

This was always one of HAL's nice touches - I don't even want to venture what's next - the flowers:eek: paper towels in the public washrooms:eek::eek:

I'm hoping this was an anomoly and will not be repeated (ok, I can dream can't I;))

No one can expect premium service for bargain rates, but it's HAL that put themselves in a position that requires those last minute reductions in fare.

Our December cruise is selling for quite a bit less than when we booked in May. No more early booking for us until HAL changes its pricing policies.

And I do drink espresso at breakfast, which I hope is still free in the Pinnacle.

Until the economy picks up I will continue to take advantage of the inequities in the pricing structure. I can do that living in Florida, when demand picks back up I will have to reevaluate our vacation choices.

As it stands right now, despite the nickle and diming, a cruise vacation is one of the best values out there today. The prices I paid for a solo four day on RCCL and what I am paying for a suite on HAL are borderline crazy. It isn't often the consumer has this kind of leverage.

No one can expect premium service for bargain rates, but it's HAL that put themselves in a position that requires those last minute reductions in fare.

That's it exactly! HAL needs to reward they people that commit early and hike up the prices for the $399 crowd that book at the end. I can just imagine how much revenue they make for HAL:rolleyes:. If you pay $399 for a cruise expect to pay for coffee in the MDR.

I posted this in June:

From Cruise Critic News June 4/12: "In related added-fee news, Carnival has begun charging for specialty coffees -- $2 for espressos, $2.95 for lattes and cappuccinos -- during lunch and dinner in Carnival Miracle's main dining room. The line has long offered these coffee drinks at no extra cost, but plans eventually to roll out the new fees fleetwide."

At the time, I wondered how long it would be before HAL started charging for the same thing. I guess we now have our answer.

That's it exactly! HAL needs to reward they people that commit early and hike up the prices for the $399 crowd that book at the end. I can just imagine how much revenue they make for HAL:rolleyes:. If you pay $399 for a cruise expect to pay for coffee in the MDR.

totally agree:) I think Lisa (LaffnVegas) mentioned that HAL is looking at changing pricing so that early bookings will truly be reduced (sort of like Oceania and some of those). That would be a good thing IMO. doesn't seem fair that those that commit early usually end up paying more:rolleyes:

Unfortunately those that book early are not paying those lower rates and they are still paying for coffee in the MDR:confused:

Our December cruise is selling for quite a bit less than when we booked in May. No more early booking for us until HAL changes its pricing policies.

And I do drink espresso at breakfast, which I hope is still free in the Pinnacle.

It will be interesting to see if the PS and Deluxe Suite guests will have to pay for the espresso and caapuccino coffees in the Pinnacle for breakfast.

Time will tell.

My personal take on this? Charge the extra - no one orders. Mission accomplished! More time for the wait staff to do their "regular" duties. ;) Heck, DH and I can never get a cup of decaf after dinner because the wait staff is so overworked.

That kind of service is somewhat expected at a fast-food place at lunchtime, not on a vacation.

It will be interesting to see if the PS and Deluxe Suite guests will have to pay for the espresso and caapuccino coffees in the Pinnacle for breakfast.

Time will tell.

I would like to think not - but we'll find out for sure in a couple of weeks:D

kazu

It could happen. Look what happened when HAL started the new Mariner program. Items that Deluxe Suites and PS passengers paid for in their fare -- like laundry, priority boarding, etc. -- passengers with 200 days now get -- and they don't even pay the BIG fares. And they can quickly get to 200 days since onboard purchases and excursions count as days for $300 they spend.

Archived