A Guessing Game...... What Is Next?

sail7seas

I want the "HAL experience" as I knew it, but it doesn't have to be HAL that furnishes it. I do have an Oceania cruise booked. We'll see how they do. [/color][/size][/font]

Oceania is where we're headed. I'd like to hear your impressions when you return. :)

I don't know what HAL was like too far back, but back in 2007, our first HAL cruise, it was wonderful. Even the 2009 was amazing. At least in our opinion since we'd not experienced anything else prior to 2007. Our 2012 cruise was interesting. The ship was a mess. We loved the staff because as always, they were amazing, but they were overworked and understaffed.

Happy sailing!! :)

Good to hear from you and you know I respect your opinion. I will be happy to hear your take on Oceania.

Terri

Nice hearing from you! I also respect your opinion. We seem to like and dislike the same things, so I know if you like it, so will we. We just don't do change well. We find something we like and we don't make changes, but it's time. We probably won't cruise Oceania until 2014. If you cruise before we do, I'll be interested to hear your opinion. Regent was another one we talked about, but Oceania seems like it will be a good fit for us.

Oceania is where we're headed. I'd like to hear your impressions when you return. :)

Even though the Oceania cruise is still about a year away, a couple of people have already made the same request. I'll be sure to keep that in mind, and very well may post something here when I return.

It seems many HAL people are looking at Oceania. I read something on that board to the effect that HAL is looked at as a source of new Oceania passengers. They do not plan to compete with other upscales lines, but go after those who want the "premium" experience that HAL is forsaking.

This is sad news, I don't drink coffee but my DH does and always enjoyed a espresso with dinner. And for Carnival to stop it too is double sad. But I have been waiting for this, so many people jumped on the bandwagon with all the specialty restaurants that the cruise industry figures we're all just waiting to throw money at them for what used to be included in the price of a ticket.

We can live without the specialty coffees in the dinning room although we did order them occasionally. In the past we happily paid for them on Celebrity and Princess so if HAL has gone the same way it isn't a big surprise. We recently took the plunge and booked a Crystal cruise which will be all inclusive (drinks, wine in the dinning room, specialty coffees, gratuities, even specialty restaurants, etc) and believe me it would be a lot cheaper to pay for what you want ala carte. There are other reasons to pay the extra money for an experiment with Crystal but it will be nice to step away from signing a chit every time you want something.

Even though the Oceania cruise is still about a year away, a couple of people have already made the same request. I'll be sure to keep that in mind, and very well may post something here when I return.

It seems many HAL people are looking at Oceania. I read something on that board to the effect that HAL is looked at as a source of new Oceania passengers. They do not plan to compete with other upscales lines, but go after those who want the "premium" experience that HAL is forsaking.

I am looking forward to hearing your impressions after your cruise. It does seem Oceania is going to benefit from those of us jumping ship. We just hate change. We find something we like and we stick with it, so this is hard for us. I've spent quite a bit of time reading through the threads on Oceania, and I really think it's going to be a good fit. The earliest we'll cruise is spring of 2014, but we're looking forward to the cruise. I've been looking through the brochures. :)

I am looking forward to hearing your impressions after your cruise. It does seem Oceania is going to benefit from those of us jumping ship. We just hate change. We find something we like and we stick with it, so this is hard for us. I've spent quite a bit of time reading through the threads on Oceania, and I really think it's going to be a good fit. The earliest we'll cruise is spring of 2014, but we're looking forward to the cruise. I've been looking through the brochures. :)

We will be jumping ship on 03/28/13, 24 day cruise on Oceania's Riveria. We have heard all postive comments on cruise line and especially like no formal nights. But the shore excursions are very pricey. We sail on the Ryndam 01/06/13. We have the same port of call with Oceania at Antigua. The same beach shore excursion on HAL was $34.95; on Oceania $99/person :eek: !

We will be jumping ship on 03/28/13, 24 day cruise on Oceania's Riveria. We have heard all postive comments on cruise line and especially like no formal nights. But the shore excursions are very pricey. We sail on the Ryndam 01/06/13. We have the same port of call with Oceania at Antigua. The same beach shore excursion on HAL was $34.95; on Oceania $99/person :eek: !

Interesting seeing many complain about the price of HAL's excursions.

it was my understanding that the cappacino and expresso in the MDR was made from the powdered mixes and not brewed as is done in Explorations. It was my feeling that the MDR versions werepale imitations of the 'real stuff'. While I occasionally ordered one at dinner in lieu of a standard decaf , if it is no longer complimentary, I will gladly pass and bring my custom to Explorations where the Mariner discount is applicable.

Ev

Interesting seeing many complain about the price of HAL's excursions.

I believe that HAL shore excursion prices are above the norm. On our HAL South Pacific cruise in 2010 a motu picnic/snorkel trip in Moorea was $169/person. The same tour and guide on Princess was $119/person

You'll have to let us know how it goes! Having no formal nights is a big plus for us also. I have read that the excursions are prices and that could really add up on a cruise the length you're taking. I guess we'll just plan our own excursions for the most part, but we won't be on as long of a cruise as you will be so probably we'll just figure extra costs for the ship excursions.

We just sailed Uniworld and they spoiled us completely. The food, service, boat ... all amazing. We're looking for that in an ocean cruise, and we're hoping Oceania is a good match.

For me this seems a drip, drip, drip sort of thing. We have been on HAL since the early 80's off and on, most recently the 2012 WC. While they step it up somewhat on Grand Cruises, it really does seem that cost reductions become more irritating, whether it is more cabins for stewards, lower quality speakers, poorer quality shows/specialty acts, perks disappearing, and a general move from what we felt was a rather charming "Dutch" experience to the much more generic. While we are signed up for 2013 WC, if the trend is seen as ongoing, we are out of there, 4 stars and all. Since brochure prices were up considerably for the 2013 cruise, apparent cost savings/revenue enhancements will be more troubling.

Ralph

Its a fair question.

We look to Azamara now and again because so much IS included, though you pay a bit more in the fare. Nickel-and-diming at minimum is annoying and at some point in a HAL cruise you feel less an appreciated guest and more a dairy cow being prepped to be milked.

That is something you shouldn't feel and is one of the reasons I have said HAL is no longer a premium line.

And Holland America is in business to make money...its not a charity

Fares have fallen drasticaly ( as an example in 2000 a Hawaii 15 day cruise was $2800. Today its about $1400.)

All the mass market lines Princess, Celeb.are doing it, not just Holland America.

You will I predict see lots of new charges like for juices, more speciality restauraunts, some the Lido items.

Too...take a look at the new direction in ships Holland America is heading Planning on selling off the under 1400 ships and building 2800 passenger ones. And you can bet your bippy... the will be filled with pay extra dining, cafes, you name it... and the traditional dinner will be a thing of the past...as smaller and smaller free dining rooms are built.

Why? well going to as you wish dining and making the room smaller means long waits for passengers. The mounting frustration will push passengers into paying venues. It is the wave of the future stay and get used to it more and more.

Or, explore other options as many have done. It is not going back

I love Holland America, that was. I loathe the nickel dime model it is headed as all others in the same mass market/ prem business

Too, I as others have headed to Azamar and Oceania where its pretty much all inclusive.. and the ambiance of old still holds true. I was pleased to discover that crusing on an inclusive line is actualy cheaper in many cases than the total cost on Holland or Celeb when you add up all the little things. And boy do they add up.

It depends upon what are your priorities when choosing cruise line and ship.

We have cruised enough on other cruise lines to know, we far prefer HAL for many reasons other than menu and dining.

We have no desire to sail elsewhere........ yet.

I will not say never but I firmly say Not Now.

If we were fortunate enough to cruise 4 or 5 times a year then the cumulative effect of many of the things that have been discussed here would be more disconcerting.

Given that our current lifestyle (both still working full time) only allows us to cruise once a year, we feel fortunate to be able to afford that, esp in the current economic climate, and the impact of much of this is minimal when taken in that context.

Still not happy about much of it, but definitely looking forward to a week onboard next month, as opposed to a week at work (especially when you work in a jail, as I do *L*)

it was my understanding that the cappacino and expresso in the MDR was made from the powdered mixes and not brewed as is done in Explorations. It was my feeling that the MDR versions werepale imitations of the 'real stuff'. While I occasionally ordered one at dinner in lieu of a standard decaf , if it is no longer complimentary, I will gladly pass and bring my custom to Explorations where the Mariner discount is applicable.

Ev

That has been my impression of the dinning room cappuccino...pale imitation of the real stuff. Still, it was often better than the dinning room regular coffee.

She did. ;) And she is not amused by the thought.

I hate the cutbacks, the nickle & diming. I want to sail the HAL that I got used to over the decades, not some faint representation of HAL. HAL sets a price for my cabin; I pay it. I don't question how they arrived at the price, but it should cover what a HAL cruise costs for that cabin. If it doesn't---not my fault.

I want the "HAL experience" as I knew it, but it doesn't have to be HAL that furnishes it. I do have an Oceania cruise booked. We'll see how they do.

Well said Ruth. I did my first last vacation in forever this last April...Sandals all-inclusive. DH loved that he didn't have to take out his card & swipe for everything. I looked at our reservation for January... For SC suit for 10 days, we could spend less and get all inclusive butler suite at Sandals for 7 days. When you add in airfare, tips, and other spending, Sandals was still a better deal.

I fly Jet Blue because I hate paying for baggage, drinks, snacks, tv, etc.

HAL hasn't been the cruise line we once knew. We started seeing it on the Eurodam Nov 2010. Service not being top, food being only ok, fellow passenger compliment being more off the party crowd.....

I have 2 FCC still to go. And they will likely be my last. Very sad.

SurferGirlie reported in another thread here on this forum that today, on Eurodam, there was a charge for espresso and cappuccino served in Main Dining Room. This is the first I've heard of that. Seems to be new HAL policy and a new revenue stream. Until now, it was included in our fares.

She said it is still no added cost in Neptune Lounge.

What do you guess is the next now included thing that will be added to the 'pay extra for it' list?

I didn't 'see this coming' and it surprises and saddens me, though I never drink either.

I have never nor do I ever intend to drink espresso and cappucino or would I eat in the MDR either, so I could care less for the 'new' charge! ;)

For me this seems a drip, drip, drip sort of thing. We have been on HAL since the early 80's off and on, most recently the 2012 WC. While they step it up somewhat on Grand Cruises, it really does seem that cost reductions become more irritating, whether it is more cabins for stewards, lower quality speakers, poorer quality shows/specialty acts, perks disappearing, and a general move from what we felt was a rather charming "Dutch" experience to the much more generic. While we are signed up for 2013 WC, if the trend is seen as ongoing, we are out of there, 4 stars and all. Since brochure prices were up considerably for the 2013 cruise, apparent cost savings/revenue enhancements will be more troubling.

Ralph

This phrase got me wondering how much money corporate thinks they'll save if they can get most of us with 4 stars and the accompanying perks to go away.

This phrase got me wondering how much money corporate thinks they'll save if they can get most of us with 4 stars and the accompanying perks to go away.

They didn't have to give us those perks.

For years there were none.

They can make them go away if they wish.

It would seem they serve their purpose well.

IMO

Archived