Are those jet engines on the Coral Princess?

philv

I was watching sailaway on the Ft. Lauderdale webcam on Sunday and was watching the Coral Princess depart. I noticed way up high on the smoke stack on back of ship what looked like two huge jet engines. I thought, is that for real? I did some research and the wikipedia entry for the Coral says the propulsion is two fixed pitch propellers driven by two diesel engines and two General Electric LM 2500 engines. I looked up the GE engines and they are described as turbo jet engines used on several cruise ships for power generation. Wow! Can anybody who has sailed on the Coral tell us what that sounds like?

I was watching sailaway on the Ft. Lauderdale webcam on Sunday and was watching the Coral Princess depart. I noticed way up high on the smoke stack on back of ship what looked like two huge jet engines. I thought, is that for real? I did some research and the wikipedia entry for the Coral says the propulsion is two fixed pitch propellers driven by two diesel engines and two General Electric LM 2500 engines. I looked up the GE engines and they are described as turbo jet engines used on several cruise ships for power generation. Wow! Can anybody who has sailed on the Coral tell us what that sounds like?

I once had the same question. From what I've been told, those pod looking structures are just a design element on the ship and don't provide any propulsion. Ther GE gas turbine generators are located elsewhere on the ship and don't provide any unusual noise.

From RickEK.....

6662079969_8d2840ba78_z.jpg

That picture is actually from the Sapphire Princess. The nacelles are capped on the Sapphire and Diamond. On the Coral and Island, they are open and do help to channel air down to the gas turbine which is located in the funnel. And no, when they are operating, you can't hear any difference...

3307510183_9be19f2352_z.jpg?zz=1

Coral Nacelles by RickEk, on Flickr

• Like 1

We did the Ultimate Ship Tour on the Coral in January. We were told they are merely decorative and serve no function for operating the ship.

Sure, that's what they tell you. If you found out the truth, they'd have to kill you.

That picture is actually from the Sapphire Princess. The nacelles are capped on the Sapphire and Diamond. On the Coral and Island, they are open and do help to channel air down to the gas turbine which is located in the funnel. And no, when they are operating, you can't hear any difference...

3307510183_9be19f2352_z.jpg?zz=1

Coral Nacelles by RickEk, on Flickr

When I binged it online your photo(s) came up, figured it was the Diamond or Sapphire do to the difference in the lack of decoration around them that the Island/Coral have.

When the Island/Coral were first built there was a couple of photos (provided by Princess) floating around showing the actual turbines in a soundproof sealed room. I was trying to find them.

Edited by highheel girl

When I binged it online your photo(s) came up, figured it was the Diamond or Sapphire do to the difference in the lack of decoration around them that the Island/Coral have.

When the Island/Coral were first built there was a couple of photos (provided by Princess) floating around showing the actual turbines in a soundproof sealed room. I was trying to find them.

Here's the fact sheet from GE if anyone is interested...

http://www.geaviation.com/engines/marine/pdfs/datasheet_lm2500plus.pdf

Well I'm glad we got that cleared up!

We did the Ultimate Ship's Tour on the Coral Princess a couple of years ago. During that long and interesting behind-the-scenes tour, the question came up about the "jet engines" or whatever they were. Our tour guide told us they were the BRT's (Big Round Things) and were for decoration only. So we all began calling them the BRT's.

The turbine is not in the engine room - it's up around deck 14-15 (been a while since I was last on board the coral so I forget the floor number) You can go stand right by it (a wall separates you from it) and see all the grates etc venting it.

The engineers on board would love to do away with those BRTs because they increase drag and weight - thus it's more expensive to move the ship with them. But that's an expensive task and won't happen.

The turbine on the Island and Coral is one reason they are used in Alaska, they also have 2 heavy fuel generators which produces most of the electricity the ship normally runs on. If the two diesel generators can't produce enough power they'll turn on the turbine which is much much more expensive to run but also much cleaner.