Anytime Dining question

TaylorMace

My DW and I cruise with another couple once every 3 years. Our first two cruises with Princess we chose Anytime dining and loved to get a table for the 4 of us. Last cruise we found a server we liked very much and called at 8am every morning and booked a table for 4 in his section next to the window.

However, we did find it a bit challenging to get the table/server/time combination we wanted every day. We would take turns getting up at 8am and calling to reserve.

We are cruising on CB in February.

Does anyone have any tips to help this go more smoothly?

Also - I don't remember what we did on the first night. Any suggestions? Should we book a reservation right when we get on? Is there a difference in the two anytime dining resteraunts?

My DW and I cruise with another couple once every 3 years. Our first two cruises with Princess we chose Anytime dining and loved to get a table for the 4 of us. Last cruise we found a server we liked very much and called at 8am every morning and booked a table for 4 in his section next to the window.

However, we did find it a bit challenging to get the table/server/time combination we wanted every day. We would take turns getting up at 8am and calling to reserve.

We are cruising on CB in February.

Does anyone have any tips to help this go more smoothly?

Also - I don't remember what we did on the first night. Any suggestions? Should we book a reservation right when we get on? Is there a difference in the two anytime dining resteraunts?

You can still request a set table and waitstaff if you find ones you like again. :)

You can still request a set table and waitstaff if you find ones you like again. :)

Does this mean you can request the same table with the same waitstaff at the same time every night? We have been waitlisted for second seating TD since we booked in June and looks like we won't clear the waitlist.

Different Matre d's have different rules.

Most discourage bookings between 6:30 and 8 PM as that is a very popular time for the anytime people.

Some allow you to book a time and table for the entire cruise while some do it for up to three days in advance and some on the day-of only.

Does this mean you can request the same table with the same waitstaff at the same time every night? We have been waitlisted for second seating TD since we booked in June and looks like we won't clear the waitlist.

Not always but usually when you talk to one of the head waiters taking care of the entrance they can take care of you by giving you the same team/table for the cruise. Never hurts to ask. :)

As far as second seating situation meet with the MD on embarkation day at the time/place listed in the patter.

He can normaly accomodate you. ;)

You can request it, but some will not accept the request. On the Crown last week, they only took requests for the current day.

I'm going Christmas week and have late seating, but another family is joining us making us a party of 9!! We would take an 8:00 anytime if we could be be locked in every night. I guess i will have speak to the Maitre'D. I will have a couple of friends w me " twin Andrew Jacksons"

LOL

I'm going Christmas week and have late seating, but another family is joining us making us a party of 9!! We would take an 8:00 anytime if we could be be locked in every night. I guess i will have speak to the Maitre'D. I will have a couple of friends w me " twin Andrew Jacksons"
This is their job. You shouldn't have to bribe them. The first day, all kinds of changes are made and many switch from Traditional to Anytime.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just read through this thread with interest. We have not cruised with Princess, but have done so several times with both P&O and Celebrity. All our cruising experience is in Europe.

Up until now we've always done traditional dining, late sitting, but we're finding more and more that starting at 8:30 is just a little bit late. So we're thinking of trying Anytime/Freedom/Select/Whatever-you-call-it for a future cruise. We're also thinking of trying Princess - a fly-cruise in the Med. Just to round off the parameters, when we eat in an MDR we prefer a larger table as we enjoy company. (If we want a quiet meal together we'll go to a speciality restaurant where we'll not only get even better food and service, but also privacy and space.) So (and here, at least, is the question): any thoughts on how our Anytime dining experience might go, on a 11/12-night early summer cruise in the Mediterranean, at a larger table (6/8 people), and preferring to eat at 8pm or just before?

LOL

Save your friends until after you have talked with the Maitre'D and he has assisted you. Then they will be a "Thank You".

any thoughts on how our Anytime dining experience might go, on a 11/12-night early summer cruise in the Mediterranean, at a larger table (6/8 people), and preferring to eat at 8pm or just before?

If you walk up as a couple or with a couple of friends (and not as a larger group) and indicate you wish to share a table, you are likely to be seated in a relatively short time, possibly immediately.

However, anytime means that all assigned to anytime decide when they would like to eat, so if many others decide around 8 PM is great time to eat, there can be a longer wait.

By 8 PM, if one of the anytime dining rooms had been used for early traditional, the early diners there should be finished and so if you find a line at one anytime dining room, you can see if there is no wait at another one.

I've just read through this thread with interest. We have not cruised with Princess, but have done so several times with both P&O and Celebrity. All our cruising experience is in Europe.

Up until now we've always done traditional dining, late sitting, but we're finding more and more that starting at 8:30 is just a little bit late. So we're thinking of trying Anytime/Freedom/Select/Whatever-you-call-it for a future cruise. We're also thinking of trying Princess - a fly-cruise in the Med. Just to round off the parameters, when we eat in an MDR we prefer a larger table as we enjoy company. (If we want a quiet meal together we'll go to a speciality restaurant where we'll not only get even better food and service, but also privacy and space.) So (and here, at least, is the question): any thoughts on how our Anytime dining experience might go, on a 11/12-night early summer cruise in the Mediterranean, at a larger table (6/8 people), and preferring to eat at 8pm or just before?

Luck of the draw. Always easier to get a table quicker when you're willing to share. And if you hate the tablemates, there's always another chance tomorrow. And tomorrow. And..............:D

Save your friends until after you have talked with the Maitre'D and he has assisted you. Then they will be a "Thank You".

The Matre d' does not have to be bribed to do his job.

If what you want is possible by that ship's rules and table availability, it will happen without waving a couple of pictures of a deceased president.

I was very excited to try anytime dining as this would have been our first time on the CB last week.

Here is our experience....1st night went to the Island at 7:25 and there was a snaking line - waited approx 30 min

2nd night we tried the Coral. The coral take anytime after 7:30. we got there at about 7:45 amd waited 20 min. At this point my husband wanted a special request put in for scallops so he spoke to the head waiter. The head waiter approved the request but advised we needed to always dine at the coral after 7:30 each night.

Every night we went we tried diff times ranging from 7:30 to 8:45. Always a wait. every time we got up front they would say there there would be a additional wait unless you agreed to share a table.

Sometimes we did and sometime we didn't. Depended on our moods and if we just wanted to dine alone.

I think the worse was Thanksgiving night. We arrived at 8pm. 30 min wait. they put us all the way in the very back corner. There was a table of 10 children sitting next to us. The kids were ALONE.

Parents table was accross the dining room. They came over twice to check on them. When the parents showed up they were all smiling and sweet. Kids were ages 5-prob 15 was the oldest. They were loud, rude, clinking glasses like at a wedding, broke a glass etc. I saw someone complain to one of the father's but it didnt change anything. I felt so sorry for the waiter.

I think becasue it was Thanksgiving week, lots of families on board, etc - there were many variables. I think that is the chance you take when you sign up for anytime dining.

The first night we always make a reservation for 2 in an anytime dinning room. Then during the meal I ask to speak to the head waiter and secure a reservation for each might at the same time with the same waiters. We dine at 8 Pm. Usually that is not heir busiest time. Yes I do tip extra but the service is always above averag to excellent!!

Archived