Thanksgiving on the Dawn: SDYC Addict Tries NCL Suite Life for 1st Time

frequent traveler

Once was enough for Moderno's for us ---- delish, but way too much food.

Our waitress told us a little 11 yr old girl got through ALL the courses, you go honey :)

I passed on the chicken and two of the different types of beef . . .but had seconds on the lamb, filet, and sausage - I loved the chorizo sausage. I had planned by skipping breakfast and eating light for lunch. By 6:00 pm was really ready:D

Glad you had a great time but sorry the weather did not cooperate. We were on the Dawn for the 16 night from Quebec to Tampa with the various reroutings and the weather did not cooperate for us either. :) Like you, we found the captain to be much more visble than normal.

Thanks for the review, can't wait to see pictures.

I'm curious about cost... when you add up all the costs incurred on this cruise, how did the total spent compare with total spent on a Sea Dream cruise? I've read before that the all-inclusive luxury lines come out about equal to the suite life plus extras on the non-lux lines... was that your experience?

I'm curious about cost... when you add up all the costs incurred on this cruise, how did the total spent compare with total spent on a Sea Dream cruise? I've read before that the all-inclusive luxury lines come out about equal to the suite life plus extras on the non-lux lines... was that your experience?

Excellent Question!!! I would like to know that too.

FT had us keep all receipts. I know that she is working on this, but is busy at work this week. She will get to this question because we want the answer for ourselves.

FT had us keep all receipts. I know that she is working on this, but is busy at work this week. She will get to this question because we want the answer for ourselves.

Thanks! I'm trying to justify a luxury line in my future....! Just need those kids to grow up first!

Thanks! I'm trying to justify a luxury line in my future....! Just need those kids to grow up first!

This was a weird cruise to do our comparison for - DD doesn't drink, so the alcohol consumption is a non-factor in the cost comparison. I am on pain meds for a bad knee so the never empty glass of champagne that I enjoy on SD did not run up the costs on NCL this week. However, paying for sparkling water after we exhausted the bottles we bought on board in the room and at meals offset that somewhat. After backing out spa bills, laundry, internet and excursions (since those are extra on an all-inclusive too) there was still a difference of almost $3600 for the week (SD more expensive for the 4 of us). But I think its because we had a 2 bedroom family suite and the pricing for the 3rd and 4th person was crazy low. Had we only been 2 people in the same suite - a week on SD and a week in the NCL suite would have been within a couple of hundred dollars with NCL being slightly more expensive. The SD itinerary was more exotic, overall service and food is better, but I loved the cabin on NCL, being in a suite with the benefits, especially Cagney's for breakfast was good . . . so its really a choice - I'm glad we are lucky enought to be able to make. There were some glitches on NCL but stuff happens . . . final review still to follow, but swamped at work. . . . .

FT

We've gotten some good deals on Regent - like 2 for 1 pricing. They include free air (which is significant if you are going overseas) and shore excursions are also included. Those two, along with the alchohol add up quickly.

Our experience with 2 persons on SeaDream in the Caribbean, with air and the requisite day ahead arrival to avoid any issues which means one hotel night, a few meals, and a little on souvenirs almost always comes up to $10K for a 7 day SeaDream trip. More of course in the Med. According to the NCL website looking at the Star out of New Orleans, It will run about half that for an Owner's Suite for the 2 of us.. We drive to NOLA so only a tank or 2 of fuel and parking charges. Then, there will be the bar tab.:eek:

Final Postings-installment 1

Please excuse typos and auto correct on I pad - and a disclaimer, I always forget something so it usually takes me 3 or 4 postings to get to the "real end"

I will start with the most important, the people. From the moment we cleared security, every NCL employee was polite and helpful. While not every single one was always cheerful, they tried their best. And with a completely full ship- and I mean overflowing with guests, many of whom were celebrating special days in addition to Thanksgiving, that's an accomplishment and says something about the NCL culture.

As others have noted, service could be sporadic. We waited a long time for a waiter to arrive at our table in Aqua the first night and then the entree arrived not quite warm enough. But this happens in any restaurant. It's the response that matters. There was no problem in getting replacements and they arrived immediately. We already had our own wine, there was nothing offered except an apology and we expected nothing else.

I waited tables in school so I try to avoid buffets whenever possible ( plus portion control is a lot easier !) so I can't comment on the service there. Cagney's and the Brazilian restaurant were excellent. Le bistro was the only unacceptable level - the delay in removing the entree plates (15 minutes) with the restaurant half empty wasn't what we expected from the up charge.

We too had uneven service from our room steward. She was very pleasant but never consistent on time. I hated coming back to the cabin after being gone all day and it still needed fresh towels, etc at 3 pm. And what's the point of turn down at 10:30?. We always had dinner at 7 and had explained we were early risers and did not keep late nights . ..but again, this is so trivial, that in the end it doesnt matter. Our butler was great but she had 10 cabins and on sea days she never slowed down. We've had a butler once before, on Regent, who came no where close to providing the service we received on NCL.

More to follow

More on service

Our concierge Virginia was helpful. We did not use her too much - our first contact was at boarding, then later on in making dinner reservations, and answering a few questions. She tried to help locate our luggage and was very apologetic when there was an issue with a tender in Cozumel (more later) which was totally outside her control and she had no need to be so apologetic. Again, she had a lot of full suites and every time we saw her there were several people wanting something. We found that while she may not have taken the initiative on something, if you made a specific request, she would do her best and follow through. I can't expect someone to be a mind reader but I do expect responsiveness. The only tiny negative I can make is that I could never get a specific type pillow- after 3 separate requests I gave up. Other pillows and an extra blanket appeared, so maybe they were out:)

I did not experience any "hard sell" in the spa. At the conclusion of my very nice massage the therapist described a couple of products and asked if I would be interested. I said "no,thank you" and that was it. IMHO the massage was reasonably priced and the therapist was polite and soothing. If I had had one earlier in the week my bill would have been a lot higher.

Our only real issue with service was the misplaced luggage. When it couldn't be located in the staging area (BTW, DH &DD saw liquor being confiscated- people still try), my temper boiled when we were told "give us until tomorrow morning to locate it."

Luckily, after we elevated the issue, the luggage was found- delivered to the opposite side of the ship and placed in storage . Don't understand but polite elevation worked.

FT,

We're booked on the same cruise next Thanksgiving. Any regrets on going on a Thanksgiving cruise?

Frederick

I think it depends on how critical the "rituals" are to you and your family.

For us, it was great to go as a family. First time in 20 some years that we hadn't had the traditional sit down dinner with the family favorite recipes and some extended family so there was a bit of a twinge. No leftovers either but since someone else did the cooking all weekend, not a problem.

We also had warm weather and no dirty dishes to offset the missing holiday traditions :). The sports bar had the football games so that tradition could still be met.

Personally, absolutely no regrets and I would do it again. I am impatient by nature and heard of delays in the main dining rooms so we skipped the full turkey dinner and dined in one of the alternative restaurants.

But checking in Sunday and boarding the Dawn was a zoo as everyone wanted to get on early. Flying back home was easier than I expected. Tampa airport was much calmer than others I have been in on the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

We had done Christmas on a cruise last year so this was our 2nd holiday away and if we can afford it, I would love for celebrating a holiday on a cruise to become a new tradition! Especially if the recently and soon to be graduated children can pay for the elderly parents who would like to retire before they drop.

FT

I think it depends on how critical the "rituals" are to you and your family.

For us, it was great to go as a family. First time in 20 some years that we hadn't had the traditional sit down dinner with the family favorite recipes and some extended family so there was a bit of a twinge. No leftovers either but since someone else did the cooking all weekend, not a problem.

We also had warm weather and no dirty dishes to offset the missing holiday traditions :). The sports bar had the football games so that tradition could still be met.

Personally, absolutely no regrets and I would do it again. I am impatient by nature and heard of delays in the main dining rooms so we skipped the full turkey dinner and dined in one of the alternative restaurants.

But checking in Sunday and boarding the Dawn was a zoo as everyone wanted to get on early. Flying back home was easier than I expected. Tampa airport was much calmer than others I have been in on the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

We had done Christmas on a cruise last year so this was our 2nd holiday away and if we can afford it, I would love for celebrating a holiday on a cruise to become a new tradition! Especially if the recently and soon to be graduated children can pay for the elderly parents who would like to retire before they drop.

FT

FT,

We'll be going with family too. We're all looking forward to not cooking (and cleaning up)! Fortunately for us, we'll be flying in on Friday and staying with my BIL in Tampa who lives 1.5 blocks from the cruise terminal. We were there for Thanksgiving this year and could see the ships from their balcony, which turned out to be great advertising. It's it possibly to see how long the check-in line is from the outside of the terminal? Or can we check the bags in ahead of time? We were planning to drop off the bags by car then walk over.

Frederick

FT,

It's it possibly to see how long the check-in line is from the outside of the terminal?

I don't think so. You check in bags at the botton of the building on the outside. What made the luggage area so crazy is that a lot of people seemed to still be just coming off the ship - as they were waiting for a pickup so there seemed to be a shortage of porters and we had to pull up on the outside lane, not close to the building to check in luggage. Once we got to the 2nd level it didn't take long to check in - and it didn't seemed backed up until we headed for the ship - then it took 15 minutes in the line to actually get on board. NCL could not get people on board as fast as they were checking them in.

Or can we check the bags in ahead of time? We were planning to drop off the bags by car then walk over.

There's nothing stopping you from doing this. Once you drop off the bags, you are free to do whatever you want. No line to funnel you upstairs to check in.

Frederick

This is probably whining, but I didn't think boarding process went as well as it could. Not sure - could they board from two gangways? But it was like we were cattle being herded into a pen . . . .

FT, looking forward to the rest of your review! Back in the days when I did mass market, we always cruised NCL. I always found the crew to be very pleasant and when my MIL passed away suddenly when we were on board, they did a wonderful job of helping us to make flight arrangements and get off the ship. And we have good friends who sail NCL quite regularly, including the 16 day Quebec-Tampa cruise someone else on this board mentioned. In fact, we met them during their day in Charleston -- I kept looking at the ship and saying "Man, she is BIG!" However, I just don't think I could take the crowds anymore :(

Vandrefalk

FT, looking forward to the rest of your review! Back in the days when I did mass market, we always cruised NCL. I always found the crew to be very pleasant and when my MIL passed away suddenly when we were on board, they did a wonderful job of helping us to make flight arrangements and get off the ship. And we have good friends who sail NCL quite regularly, including the 16 day Quebec-Tampa cruise someone else on this board mentioned. In fact, we met them during their day in Charleston -- I kept looking at the ship and saying "Man, she is BIG!" However, I just don't think I could take the crowds anymore :(

Vandrefalk

By staying in the suite and using the spa thermal suite and Cagney's there wasn't too much of a crowd - loved that balcony. But you are right, the crowds when getting off at ports and boarding was a big negative, but man you ought to see the bathroom . . . . .

will be posting some loose pages from the Freestyle Daily but just got told my file was too big! later . . .

Since another traveler was kind enough to post the dailies in another thread, I thought there might be some interest in the loose page. Attached are the Welcome Aboard, Freestyle Dining, a sample of additional activities, and disembarkation in Tampa. Hope they are helpful to someone.

welcome_aboard_NCL.pdf

freestyle_dining_NCL.pdf

today_onboard_NCL.pdf

Disembarkation_Program_for_Tampa.pdf

FT: Thank you so much for the review. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it:).

thanks very much - I keep meaning to wrap up, but work gets in the way. lots of little things, like I don't know if anyone else had this problem but our steward never changed the time on the clocks in the cabin - either moving them back or foward (maybe its a practice I just didn't know about). Every other line I have been on, does that. So for most of the trip, unless we changed, we were on a different time than our cabin. Only an issue for the early morning excursion . . . before we had any caffeine and thought we had another hour to sleep on that first day after the change .. OOPS!

FT,

We'll be going with family too. We're all looking forward to not cooking (and cleaning up)! Fortunately for us, we'll be flying in on Friday and staying with my BIL in Tampa who lives 1.5 blocks from the cruise terminal. We were there for Thanksgiving this year and could see the ships from their balcony, which turned out to be great advertising. It's it possibly to see how long the check-in line is from the outside of the terminal? Or can we check the bags in ahead of time? We were planning to drop off the bags by car then walk over.

Frederick

Frederick,

I could have sworn I responded to this earlier but the post either disappeared or was deleted or I'm getting foggy.

1. I don't think you can see the check in line from outside the terminal. our biggest delay was in finding a porter. That took a few minutes but after that, everything moved quickly until we moved to board the ship. the line snaked around and from the terminal until we actually stepped on the Dawn it was almost 20 minutes - they checked in people in the terminal faster than they could get them on the ship!

2. I don't see any reason why you can't drop the bags off ahead of time - that's done on the outside of the building. then you go upstairs and inside to clear security and then check in. We came via taxi and the zoo was caused by having to park in the outside lane-away from the building. It appears some people were still being picked up from the inside lane.

All the NCL people were great, most of the fellow passengers were very pleasant. This was a bit different that the small ships I have sailed on in the recent past, so the wait to get on the ship was a negative - and how the area for suite check in was marked. But those are nits.

Archived