Port Hedland--What to do?

I will be in Port Hedland in March on Radiance of the Seas. I have been unable to find any tours other than two limited ones offered by the ship. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do there for 6 hours?

Do the free tour, or stay on the ship. We didn't do the free tour but those who did said it was great. There is not much else to do. You have to get of the ship and where the markets are set up you will find the free tour. We was there in Feb and it was very hot.

Do the free tour, or stay on the ship. We didn't do the free tour but those who did said it was great. There is not much else to do. You have to get of the ship and where the markets are set up you will find the free tour. We was there in Feb and it was very hot.

I read they open up the Iron ore mine for a tour and it was actually quite good.

Did you speak to anyone on your cruise about a mine tour? would be interested to see how a huge percentage of our W.A workforce live up there in that unnatural heat!

Den

I read they open up the Iron ore mine for a tour and it was actually quite good.

Did you speak to anyone on your cruise about a mine tour? would be interested to see how a huge percentage of our W.A workforce live up there in that unnatural heat!

Den

Yes it was a mine tour, everybody who did it loved it.

Hi do you have to ge off in port headland? We will be there on the 12th march on voyager.

I think ned 49 meant you have to get off the ship and walk to the markets to get the free bus? I am sure you can stay onboard at port unless they had to disinfect the entire ship for some reason.

We stayed onboard when we stopped at Geraldton a few years ago but some found it great (the bottle shop);)

I am on your cruise:)

Den

You don't have to get off the ship. Free shuttles provided to local markets and from there to small shopping complex a few kms from Port Hedland with Woolworths for supplies. The lady driver on return trip from shops took us on a short drive around beach and town with commentary. The mine tour was the only one offered and due to oh&s rules you have to wear long sleeves and covered footwear, a few complaints as to it not being worth the cost. Apparently most live at South Hedland about 16kms from the Port where there is a Kmart, Coles. She said they used to run shuttles to there. It was interesting, especially for the colour - everything was red except for the large mound of white salt in the Port and the aqua of the sea. It was a raw sort of place and certainly gives an insight into the conditions for work and living in a highly industrial town. No wonder they need to pay good wages. The real estate ridiculously high but fascinating industrial landscapes for photography nearing sunset. I quite enjoyed the town as a short experience of a different Aussie lifestyle. It was very hot.

We took the shuttle to town - which is small but nice. There were volunteers out with maps, cold bottles of water, etc. Stopped at a cafe for scones and coffee and then visited the local art gallery.

DSC01338.jpg

Bought a couple of books and a small painting there. Missed out on the tour of the iron ore processing plant - by the time we figured out what the tent was for the earlier tours were full. But you can see a lot of the processing area from the ship.

Port Hedland is one of the highest tonnage ports, Dampier Salt is an awesome sight, the Port itself is fascinating, the Port tour would be great, the Yacht Club serves a great lunch ... This IS one of the main "mining boom" places in West Australia. I could go on, but I am biased (my daughter lives there). We have been there by plane, car and RCL's Radience, and I love it. To me this is more interesting than other places where there's not much more to see than 'city' and 'shops'. Oh, and the Visitor's Centre is well worth visiting.

Get off the boat, out of your comfort zone and see the 'orange and blue' town .... it's always hot, it's always dusty, it's always a terrific photo opportunity, it's always "raw". But it's well worth the visit!

Port Hedland is one of the highest tonnage ports, Dampier Salt is an awesome sight, the Port itself is fascinating, the Port tour would be great, the Yacht Club serves a great lunch ... This IS one of the main "mining boom" places in West Australia. I could go on, but I am biased (my daughter lives there). We have been there by plane, car and RCL's Radience, and I love it. To me this is more interesting than other places where there's not much more to see than 'city' and 'shops'. Oh, and the Visitor's Centre is well worth visiting.

Get off the boat, out of your comfort zone and see the 'orange and blue' town .... it's always hot, it's always dusty, it's always a terrific photo opportunity, it's always "raw". But it's well worth the visit!

Sounds great, am up for something different

Make sure you are on deck for both the sail in and sail away

We received a fire hose salute from three or four of the tug boats when we arrived this year on the Radiance and on the sail away probably half the town or more lined the shoreline, even on rooftops, to wave us goodbye.

We received a fire hose salute from three or four of the tug boats when we arrived this year on the Radiance and on the sail away probably half the town or more lined the shoreline, even on rooftops, to wave us goodbye.

Sounds like it was something similar to when the the Sapphire Princess (first of the mega liners) visited Aust/NZ back some 6 or seven years ago.

We were fortunate to sail on her twice and every port we visited (even Melbourne) put on a fantastic welcome. Made us feel really important, but of course it was not us, it was the ship.

Looking forward to Port Hedland when we visit next Feb on Solstice

cheers

• 8 months later...

I agree, going to Port Hedland was a great experience, the locals were really welcoming and it was very interesting. A great Australian experience. Remember not to wear white or pale clothing, or anything that matters if you get red dust on it, as you will not avoid it!

Hi there!

I emailed the visitors information centre asking about booking a mine tour. Their reply said that it would be offered by our ship.

When I last checked there were no ship's tours for Port Hedland.:confused:

Gae

We enjoyed the tour in Port Hedland. It isn't actually a mine tour, but a tour of the enormous processing plant. One of the interesting features is the way they empty the railway wagons of ore. The train stops and two wagons at a time are turned upside down for the ore to tip out.

Archived