Suites/Blu

jaspersmommy

I have a bit of a dilemma and am looking for some advice. On our upcoming Eclipse cruise, we are booked in a suite and my 80 year old father is booked in a 1A verandah cabin.

I haven't previously tried Blu and thought I'd like to try it a few times on this coming trip if there is space available. However, now that my Dad is joining us, since he's in a 1A, he wouldn't be able to dine in Blu. So, it looks like our only choice is the MDR on nights that we don't dine in a specialty restaurant.

I am watching the cruise prices, and am thinking that I will do a paid upgrade for my Dad if the Aqua class costs come down a little at final payment time. That way we would all be able to eat in Blu.

Do you think that we may run into problems if Dad went with Aqua and we were in a suite? He would be guaranteed Blu seating but we wouldn't. If there were evenings when Blu is busy and hubby and I can't get in, would they let Dad eat in MDR? I wonder if the butler would have any pull in getting us Blu reservations if Dad is alone and in Aqua... What do you think, should we take the chance and upgrade him if we can?

The more flexible you are with what time you eat, the more likely you are to be accommodated. Check in with the matire'd at Blu when you board, explain the situation and see if he can advise. Often suites guests are able to dine in Blu (as on any given night, some Aqua Class guests are in specialty venues), but some people have reported being turned away - so it is not a guarantee. It is almost always possible for someone in Aqua Class to be accommodated in the main dining room on any given night, they check in and dine at the select dining area of the MDR when they want to go that route.

The more flexible you are with what time you eat, the more likely you are to be accommodated. Check in with the matire'd at Blu when you board, explain the situation and see if he can advise. Often suites guests are able to dine in Blu (as on any given night, some Aqua Class guests are in specialty venues), but some people have reported being turned away - so it is not a guarantee. It is almost always possible for someone in Aqua Class to be accommodated in the main dining room on any given night, they check in and dine at the select dining area of the MDR when they want to go that route.

Thank you very much for the info Gonzo, much appreciated!

This topic comes up on the NCL boards quite often. If he is not booked in a cabin that comes with this perk, he may not get it. Just like when you fly 1st class overseas and get access to the lounge. Only those that booked it. Or like when you have suite tickets at a football game. Only those that booked the suite get that perk.

While not disagreeing with Gonzo70 and MicCanberra, it is usually the number of tables being seated at a particular time that would be the issue rather than the number of people. If a speciality restaurant is "full" it is usually possible to increase the number of diners at a table - it is likely to be the same in Blu. I would speak to the M d' as early as posisble but I doubt that it would be a problem unless they are having to turn away a large number of suite guests on your sailing when it may not be PC to let you dine there.

Sue

While not disagreeing with Gonzo70 and MicCanberra, it is usually the number of tables being seated at a particular time that would be the issue rather than the number of people. If a speciality restaurant is "full" it is usually possible to increase the number of diners at a table - it is likely to be the same in Blu. I would speak to the M d' as early as posisble but I doubt that it would be a problem unless they are having to turn away a large number of suite guests on your sailing when it may not be PC to let you dine there.

Sue

Good point.

If you eat early 6PM ish or later after 7:30PM I don't think you'll ever have an issue, we were lucky enough to be in a suite on Equinox earlier this year and ate in Blu every night except the night we went to Tuscan Grill...flexibility on time is all you need and you'll be fine. Enjoy, we LOVE BLU!!!

Sue

Blu has a large majority of tables for two, so just because the OP's father is assured a table if he is upgraded to Aqua Class does not guarantee a four top can be made available to accommodate his dining with suite guests. The two tops are too small for them to add a chair and seat three. The best bet is for the OP to speak with the maitre'd after boarding for advice on the best time of day they likely could be accommodated.

Archived