Video of 6 Folks Almost Missed the Ship. Freedom Nov 15, 2012. Ochos Rios

MrFunInTheSun

The only good pier runner videos are those where the pier runners got left behind.

There are some interesting videos out there. There's even one of an old lady in a walker doing the pier run!

We observed very drunk pier runners the last time we were in Ocho Rios--the girls kept stopping to sit down on the pier multiple times as the captain kept tooting the horn. The harbor police kept circling around at yelling at them. I think half of the ship was watching and yelling to them! Wish I would have had my video camera at the time!;)

I am keeping my mouth closed. My very first cruise i was a pier runner. I got left on a island after my boat and mother left without me. Had to board another cruise line tour boat to get back to shore. I heard the ship horn blow and i started really running. When i step on the ship just off the gangway they pulled in . I was the last person getting on the ship... I was 18 yrs old .

I am keeping my mouth closed. My very first cruise i was a pier runner. I got left on a island after my boat and mother left without me. Had to board another cruise line tour boat to get back to shore. I heard the ship horn blow and i started really running. When i step on the ship just off the gangway they pulled in . I was the last person getting on the ship... I was 18 yrs old .

My step-daughter is one that I've refused to take a cruise with. She is late for EVERYTHING!!! When she calls us and says she'll be here at 4, that means 6, 6:30... sometimes even 7pm. She'll be late for her own funeral. That would explain her losing/gaining jobs every 3-6 months.

That irritates me. If you are expected to be somewhere at a set time, BE THERE!!! We live in a grown-up world... be a grown-up!!!!

Pier runners should all be left where they stand. No excuses. If you can't figure out when your freakin' TRANSPORTATION leaves, you don't deserve to be on it. Grow up. Get a watch. Stop being a child.

</rant> thank you.

Just before the Sensation left Nassau at 6 a.m. on Saturday morning, there were two announcements from the hallway speakers for a particular person to call Guest Services. The third announcement was in the cabin (nice wake up call). I wonder if the woman was on the ship and unaccounted for, or never made it aboard.

Just before the Sensation left Nassau at 6 a.m. on Saturday morning, there were two announcements from the hallway speakers for a particular person to call Guest Services. The third announcement was in the cabin (nice wake up call). I wonder if the woman was on the ship and unaccounted for, or never made it aboard.

Most likely never made it aboard. Believe they make those calls over the PA just in case they made it aboard without scanning their S&S card. Sounds like she had a good overnight bender in Nassau. A few after hour party's after Senor Frogs. :)

We have only been on one cruise and I got the impression that it would be really hard to miss the ship. There were alot of spring breakers and we were suppose to be departing Cozumel at 4pm. At 4:30 there was still 15-20 kids straggling down the pier in no hurry at all. In fact, one of them went to the side of the pier and stripped off his clothes and started to jump in, security got there to stop him and calmly walked him to the ship. They had to help 2 more people that were so drunk they were barely standing. I think we finally left at about 5pm.

We left this couple in Curacao after waiting over a half hour past the time we were suppose to leave. I heard they showed up an hour later to an empty pier. Two stops later we were in St Thomas getting ready to leave when the captain announced that we would be leaving later since they were waiting on some late passengers. Around 30 minutes later a taxi pulled up which they can do in St Thomas and this couple jumped out and ran to the ship. Yep you guessed it. It was the same couple we left in Curacao! I hope the captain chewed their tails out. Cozumel is the worst port that we have been to for leaving pax behind thanks to Senor Frogs, etc.

There is no excuse for being late! I understand that sometimes things happen (car, taxi, or bus breakdown) but you have to plan ahead in case those do happen.

If they say be back on by a certain time, make sure your watch is on "ship time" and plan on being back before the appointed time. Don't wait until the last minute.

Too many people plan on getting back "just in time" or last minute.

We always make sure to plan on getting back at least 30 minutes prior to the appointed time and usually we are back way before even that planned time.

I don't want to chance being left and I surely don't want to have everyone watching and laughing as I am running to get on late!

There is always some people that think the rules apply to everyone but them. We always make sure we are headed back to the ship about an hour early, just in case. The cruise director on our 1st. cruse told everyone to be sure they took their cameras with them when they went ashore, that way, if you are late, you can get some really good pictures of the ship sailing away without them..........

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

8 folks almost stayed in Freeport from the Pride. Below video is one of two I captured of the last three. For some reason the first one I took of the first five never recorded. Anyways the very last guy that got on here was still up to the right by a tent in Freeport and the other two with him were down close to the fence by not down where you walk in. The guard saw them up there and walked up to them and asked them if they were on the Pride. Then the two she was talking to, yelled at the other guy that was throwing away a beer bottle.

They kept calling for these guys over loud speaker and blow the horn several times. Not the normal amount of times. The ship was scheduled to leave at 1:30. They left about 1:40. You'll see in this video as soon as that last guy up, someone runs down to push the gang plank in.

Click on the video below. Was all quite entertaining. Ship couldn't wait to long either as the Independence of the seas was waiting for their dock.

th_4108F3A3-97C4-4726-AAC5-044CEA8F7FD5-3611-000002424D46DB63_zps88944c2c.jpg

If they are not hurrying, it may be they were part of a Carnival sponsored excursion that was returning late and know the ship will be held for them. This spring we were over an hour late past sail time but ship was held because we had booked the Tulum tour through Carnival. Pax on their balconies and at the rails were disappointed we weren't 'pier runners' but 'pier strollers.' :)

Yeah, or they were unable to run. My mother would not be able to run, but nobody on board would know that, so they might make assumptions if we were ever in this situation.

Here are a couple of people running the pier in San Juan. Sail away was scheduled for 6:30 pm. These two were just about five minutes late. The second person points to her watch as she boards the ship as if to say "I'm not late according to MY watch"!

http://youtu.be/ZWJv4zH7J5M

According to MY watch ... this is why you are told to make sure your watch is set to ship time, because it doesn't go by according to your watch (SMH)

Yeah, or they were unable to run. My mother would not be able to run, but nobody on board would know that, so they might make assumptions if we were ever in this situation.

My husband would not have been able to make the run, he has a bad heart and he would've had a heart attack right on the pier (then everyone could watch not only pier runners but some guy dying on the pier - lol). As for me, I'm overweight and would've had a really hard time making the run (I would've wanted to die, not just from embarrassment but from aching). But I wear a watch at all times during our cruise (I only take it off to sleep), and I keep a close eye on the time (we try to be back on the ship an hour before sail time - if not before).

They didn't look drunk. Those are the funniest pier runners. You see them mostly in Cozumel. One time, one of them fell on their face and didn't get up. That really caused problems. Luckily someone else was running with them and had to just about carry them onto the ship. We try to get a good spot to watch all the pier activity when it's time to leave.

Archived