Video of 6 Folks Almost Missed the Ship. Freedom Nov 15, 2012. Ochos Rios

MrFunInTheSun

These six people came very close to missing the ship in Ocho's Rio's Jamaica on Thursday, November 15, 2012. All aboard was 2:00pm. Sail away was scheduled at 2:30pm. These 6 people were called over the PA twice. A few of the dock lines were already dropped just before they came running down the pier and I took this video. We had all hollered to them and clapped a few seconds before I started recording. Shipped pulled away at 2:40pm. At 2:15pm there were still quite a few others walking very fast down the pier.

Believe to make the video play, you have to click on the image itself as its a video on photo bucket.

th_173_zps90b799bb.jpg

I don't laugh too much because I was a pier runner once :o

Viking Serenade, 1998, Ensenada, MX, Carlos N' Charlies, too much alcohol, no wristwatch, large group, not enough taxi cabs to take the entire group back, no cash to pay the driver... You put 2 and 2 together...

(We did make it back, but I remember that my heart was racing!)

I love pier runners. Actually, they annoy me. It's really not that hard to plan to head back to a ship 30 minutes before they say you should and maybe an hour at some ports depending on where you are compared to the ship.

Well, stuff happens which is out of our control sometimes.

Sometimes things are out of your control. Was a pier runner last year because we were in a large group that took an excursion and we were in 2 buses. One bus broke down and we had to squeeze everyone onto the one bus. We just made it back in time. Sometimes no matter how much planning you do things can go wrong.

But I do agree they should have been trying to hustle a little.

Much as I laughed at all of these posts a year ago swearing I wouldnt do it, in 2 ports last year we ran up 10 minutes before we had to be onboard... BUT both times we were right in the port area and knew exactly what time it was.

Those were more like "pier-saunterers." :D

When we were at Grand Turk back in October we must have had the opposite of pier runners...we were scheduled to depart at 7pm, one hour later than originally scheduled since we had missed our port call at Half Moon Cay, and we left at 6:40. I have to assume everyone had returned early!

If they are not hurrying, it may be they were part of a Carnival sponsored excursion that was returning late and know the ship will be held for them. This spring we were over an hour late past sail time but ship was held because we had booked the Tulum tour through Carnival. Pax on their balconies and at the rails were disappointed we weren't 'pier runners' but 'pier strollers.' :)

The only good pier runner videos are those where the pier runners got left behind, waving their arms and screaming frantically for the ship to stop, before finally realizing that they had been dumped and start sobbing uncontrollably. I know some of them were late because of factors beyond their control, but most are just too drunk and dumb to keep track of time.

Yep, Pier Runners are great to watch. I had a good time once on my balcony in Cozumel, mocking the runners and pointing and laughing as they tried to stagger on board.

Then Karma came around and bit me in the a$$.

We were on a tour to Montserrat that returned late to our ship docked in Antigua, and we hit the entranceway just as the ropes were being pulled. Since it was a cruiseline sanctioned cruise, I guess they had pity on us and let us board at the last second. But the folks were yelling from their balconies, "Run, run!" :o I wanted to stop and say, "not my fault," but just kept running.

Ah, good times... :)

We watched one couple get left at Cozumel. they were the same couple that was late in Jamaica as well as Cayman. Some just don't learn.

Now these people have some serious issue when it comes to time keeping. These would be the type of people you would not want to go anywhere with. You would be late ALL the time.They deserve to get left behind.

Archived