Which cruise lines lets you get off on land at canal?

grams98

I have tried searching this and have come up with princess partial transit only. Am I correct in what I am reading? I like princess, butnthenpartialmtransitnis really pricey. Now it seems that some of their full transit allows getting off ship at canal, also, but even pricier. So I just want to make sure that I understand correctly all of our options before we continue with planning this cruise. Does it come down to princess and no other cruise lines? Thanks in advance, I know someone on here will know. Grams98

Some of the Celebrity Panama Canal cruises (which are full transits) have a port call in Colon for a day, and so passengers are able to do land excursions. For example, last April on the Infinity the day after we did the Panama Canal transit we docked at Colon. My husband and I did a trip from Colon to Balboa on the Panama Railway.

Princess' 2-Day Panama gives you a complete transit of the Canal and a day in Panama to explore. The 10-day "turn around" cruises also give you the opportunity to get off the ship in Gatun Lake and take a ship shore excursion. Price often is reflective of demand and the better the itinerary the greater the demand. Regards, Richard

Grams, That's the spirit! RCCL does a one time cruise each year repositioning from Florida to Panama. Or you cold take the RCCL ship that homeports in Panama - mostly Spanish-speaking crowd - or another ship that embarks or disembarks in Panama. Panama City is 3 hours flying time from Miami, 8 hours from LA - so come on down! Explore Panama City and then come on up to the Chiriqui Highlands. You'll love it! Regards, Richard

Thanks so much, this has all been very helpful. Still trying to sort through it all. We may just go to Panama City for a week and really explore. But we do indeed love cruising. Thanks, grams98

To add my 2 cents. The hubbie and I just got off RCCL Grandeur of Seas. We flew into MIA same day. This was a 3-day reposition cruise (one way), Spanish immersion cruise over Thanksgiving. We had our first balcony and loved it from beginning to end. Our compas was in English. All announcements were bilingal. Entertainment had English on movie screen. Had a Tango show and sooo nice. Staff were bilingual.

We stayed 3.5 days post cruise and did all our tours with My Friend Mario. RCCL has good open jaw flights with their ChoiceAir agency, so saved a bundle on flights and also used our DL FFM.

We sure enjoyed ourselves immensly but was very, very glad to come 'home' to the States. Hope this helps.

Virtually all 'full transit' Panama Canal cruises start out 'pricey'. One partial reason is the high cost of transiting the Canal. Our recent transit on the Island Princess was $380,000.00. (no mistake, paid in advance)

Other factors include enrichment lecturers, cost of fuel, actual consumer demand, etc.

There are flash sales for full transit cruises and targeted marketing as well. You have to be ready to jump when this happens as the pricing goes away when the sale is over.

It's a great trip...ours was an older crowd. Very few children (less than 10 that I saw). Ports were exotic and fascinating and the staff and crew exemplary.

We feel that we had good value for our $$.

Disclaimer: we have been to Panama before, so missing the land portion wasn't a biggie for us. Still, a 'Panama experience' itinerary would be well worth the effort.

Just off the Infinity thru the Canal. The extra day in Colon was great- took the train across and the bus back to the ship. Otherwise, Panama is going thru alot of changes currently- construction, poverty, crime, etc. Not a place I'd feel safe in for a week.

Just off the Infinity thru the Canal. The extra day in Colon was great- took the train across and the bus back to the ship. Otherwise, Panama is going thru alot of changes currently- construction, poverty, crime, etc. Not a place I'd feel safe in for a week.

Colon is not safe. Panama City is like LA: there are very safe place and a few not so safe place. Same story for Orange County. But there is a LOT more to Panama than Panama City, Colon and the Canal. I've lived in the Chiriqui Mountains in Boquete for 8 years and feel MUCH safer than Southern California (Ventura actually). Regards, Richard

Archived