Covered balcony - how important?

emeltee

For our Princess Sapphire cruise next July, we have the choice of a minisuite on one of two decks. Either one that's toward the aft(Emerald E729,25,or 21) or one that is mid-forward on the Dolphin (D311). The aft balcony is covered whereas the mid-forward one is not.

DH is really *worried* about getting sea-sick, so he thinks that the mid-forward one would be better than the aft one. Please correct me if this is wrong.

I've read that the covered balcony really comes in handy on Alaskan cruises, not to mention the fact that no on can look onto you when you're on the balcony.

Which one would you choose? I'm paralyzed by this decision, lol!

The "seasickness" issue could be an easy fix with precautions perhaps?? Schedule a visit with a health care professional, for the best advice.

Covered balconies are raved about, consistantly in Alaska. You don't mention which side they are on, and IF you only want Glacier Bay viewing from your balcony. (moving with the ship on the public decks is ideal for the most view, and the forward bow deck is just excellent for glacier sailing days. I spent hours and hours out there. :)

I chose the covered balcony.

I felt the chance of rain was way higher than the chance of rough seas. Especially during "scenic cruising".

I had a Dolphin mini on a Caribbean cruise, and I did not mind the open balcony there.

Don't underestimate rough sailing in Alaska. Just about every cruise I have been on, had some rough sailing involved, including the three I did this year.

The "seasickness" issue could be an easy fix with precautions perhaps?? Schedule a visit with a health care professional, for the best advice.

Covered balconies are raved about, consistantly in Alaska. You don't mention which side they are on, and IF you only want Glacier Bay viewing from your balcony. (moving with the ship on the public decks is ideal for the most view, and the forward bow deck is just excellent for glacier sailing days. I spent hours and hours out there. :)

They are all on the Starboard side. Does it matter for scenic cruising? As I type this,though, I realize that we'll be looking out to sea when we're sailing south. Oh well, don't have much of a choice.

I chose the covered balcony.

I felt the chance of rain was way higher than the chance of rough seas. Especially during "scenic cruising".

I had a Dolphin mini on a Caribbean cruise, and I did not mind the open balcony there.

When are the greatest chances of rough seas?

They are all on the Starboard side. Does it matter for scenic cruising? As I type this,though, I realize that we'll be looking out to sea when we're sailing south. Oh well, don't have much of a choice.

When are the greatest chances of rough seas?

You might want to consider getting out on deck your Glacier Bay sailng day, as the commentary matches up, pertaining to glacier viewing with the port side. As I mentioned, the forward bow deck is the only place I'm at. :) Consider this the "best" place to be for Hubbard, since the bulk of the view is forward. Then, when the ship "turns" move with the ship for the most.

Rough sailing? You are on water, can happen any time, but common across the gulf.

We just sailed on the Westerdam in an aft corner where we had balcony on both the side and back of the ship. We had beautiful sunny weather for most of our trip, including Glacier Bay which is rare, but it was so cold we mostly stayed on the back where we were protected from the wind. We only used the side balcony to peak around at scenery towards the front of the ship. If we had had a standard balcony on the side of the ship, I doubt we would have used it much because it was so cold. I would choose the aft balcony. My signature has a review of the Westerdam and at the bottom of it has several pics of our balcony if you want to see what I mean about the side and back balconies.

I also wrestle with sea sickness. Our first cruise was midship and middle deck. 2nd cruise back corner 8th deck. I didn't experience a difference in motion sickness by location. I was queasy the first day out on both and when I was queasy on the 2nd cruise, going towards the midship didn't help. Walking the long hallways made it worse. The important thing to me was being able to get to fresh air and a view of the horizon. I would book an aft again.

I would go mid ship.

While some of our Alaska sailings have been very calm others have not.

I would also consult with your physician and get something to take as a precaution for sea sickness.

I have to say that we spend much of our time when we are viewing scenery in Alaska including Glacier Bay from the open deck rather than from our verandah. You will find that will offer you the best panoramic views and most importantly will allow you to quick access to multiple areas of the ship which is key to enjoying all that is around you.

Keith

I would think the covered balcony is important, esp for Alaska where it often rains. We had a balcony stateroom on the Caribe deck ( which is half covered and half open). On rainy days, we were able to sit at the balcony to enjoy the views, while those below us in the dolphin deck had to stay indoors.

As you are sailing on the Sapphire Princess you will be sailing either to or from Vancouver and therefore will be in the inside passage for a good part of the cruise where you will generally have smoother seas. The day spent crossing the Gulf of Alaska is where you do run the risk of heavy seas. So my advice would be to pick a cabin that is low and midships. If the weather is stormy, there is no covered balcony that is going to give you protection from the weather so I wouldn't obsess over that. My advice for cabin selection is starboard northbound and port side southbound as you are seldom out of sight of land when facing the mainland. That said, on your glacier day(s) you will want to be out on deck to take it all in....if you stay on a balcony you will only see half of the scenery.

Does anyone have any favorite nature viewing areas on the Sapphire? Any places with great views, but no crowds? Favorite Decks? I promise I will not tell your secrets to anyone!

The forward bow deck. For "nature" you want forward viewing, to be able to track from way ahead. You don't to catch glimpses of stuff passing you by.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived