From Houston Hobby to the ship, suggestions?

CruiseMuch?

Hello,

We are sailing out of Galveston in January. I have read various threads without a true "best option? There are 4 of us (2 adult couples) who need a ride to the ship. Time is not a factor as we fly in early, and don't fly out at 4:00 PM after the cruise.

1) What is the most cost effective/yet smooth option for us?

Taxi, Supershuttle, Ship's Transfers? Anyone know of a private/liscensed driver?

2) We arrive around 8:00 AM. Assuming all connections are smooth, we could be at the ship by 10:00ish. Any suggestions for killing a couple hours until we can board? No car, plus our luggage?

Any thoughts? Thanks. :)

Hello,

We are sailing out of Galveston in January. I have read various threads without a true "best option? There are 4 of us (2 adult couples) who need a ride to the ship. Time is not a factor as we fly in early, and don't fly out at 4:00 PM after the cruise.

Taxi, Supershuttle, Ship's Transfers? Anyone know of a private/liscensed driver?

2) We arrive around 8:00 AM. Assuming all connections are smooth, we could be at the ship by 10:00ish. Any suggestions for killing a couple hours until we can board? No car, plus our luggage?

Old Town on Strand St. (shops and more) over to Post Office St

ar one to 3 blocks from terminals. Wonderful way to to spend time before cruise!

If you want to get on down and not wait on Cruise Line transfers

then private drivers are best!

A few to email or call are:

Cornerstone Elite Limo

Extreme Elegance Limo Service

Sams Limo

24hr airport taxi

SWS Transport

Gulf Coast limo

Galveston Limo

Presidential Limo service

Since there are four adults, I would probably use SuperShuttle or Galveston Limousine-both of which you can arrange online prior to your arrival.

When you get to the POG, you should be able to give your luggage to your cruise line's "people" and wander the Strand.

The Strand district is very close to the cruise terminal and there is shopping, restaurants, etc. The numbered streets on the island run basically North-South and the named streets run East-West.

The cruise terminal is around 25th and Harborside. The Strand district is 18th - 25th and Harborside to Church (5 streets).

Go to http://www.galveston.com, there is a map.

Since there are 4 of you, the cost of a private transfer would make it worth it. I've done it with a limo but would not recommend the company.

This time, there are only 2 of us, so we're getting a rental car. Enterprise is the only agency (I've heard) on the island and they don't provide a transfer to the ship. Even with the one-way drop off fee, gas and taxi fare to the ship, it comes out cheaper for us to do this. Plus, we have the freedom to make a stop for drinks ahead of time. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my answer for a similar thread:

Just returned from Carnival Magic yesterday (12/16). We flew in on Saturday (12/9), stayed at the Comfort Suites at Hobby Airport, used their free shuttle to get back to the airport on Sunday, then used CCL's transportation to get to the port. WAY cheaper than a cab or private car. We were on the ship and eating by 11:30 AM.

Note: We arrived back at the airport on Sunday at 9:00 AM. The first bus to the port doesn't leave until 10:00 AM. We also used CCL's transportation back to Hobby after the cruise. We would use this method again. Hope this helps!!

Hello,

Old Town on Strand St. (shops and more) over to Post Office St

ar one to 3 blocks from terminals. Wonderful way to to spend time before cruise!

If you want to get on down and not wait on Cruise Line transfers

then private drivers are best!

A few to email or call are:

Cornerstone Elite Limo

Extreme Elegance Limo Service

Sams Limo

24hr airport taxi

SWS Transport

Gulf Coast limo

Galveston Limo

Presidential Limo service

Have you tried any of these limo services? I've gotten some quotes but just don't know

It has been a few years ago, but we used Galveston Limo (shuttle service). We used them both ways - they had several shuttles waiting right as we got off the ship. They were very good - only waited for one other family and we were on our way. They had plenty of vehicles waiting. We did pre-book and it was all very orderly. Would recommend.

I did a LOT of research prior to our cruise last week, and it is far cheaper to use the cruise line's transportation. We were very pleased with it. However, there were only TWO of us. If you have a group of people, you can cut the cost by using a private service. When we cruised out of Galveston a couple of years ago, there were eight of us and we used a shuttle service so it was much cheaper for each couple. Just wanted to add this information.

I'm anxious for the new Houston cruise terminal to be opened. I'm told that it will be much closer to Hobby than the current terminal.

Here's my answer for a similar thread:

Just returned from Carnival Magic yesterday (12/16). We flew in on Saturday (12/9), stayed at the Comfort Suites at Hobby Airport, used their free shuttle to get back to the airport on Sunday, then used CCL's transportation to get to the port. WAY cheaper than a cab or private car. We were on the ship and eating by 11:30 AM.

Note: We arrived back at the airport on Sunday at 9:00 AM. The first bus to the port doesn't leave until 10:00 AM. We also used CCL's transportation back to Hobby after the cruise. We would use this method again. Hope this helps!!

Curious how you used CCL shuttle and was on the ship at 11:30? According to their website, shuttle don't start leaving airport until around noon. This is the reason I don't want to use CCL shuttle because I like to be at the port early. But if you know something else, I may change my mind:)

We arrived at Hobby at 9:00 AM on Sunday. The CCL rep said the first bus leaves at 10:00 AM. It's about a 45 min to an hour ride to the port. We checked in when we arrived at the port and walked onto the ship. Very few people there so we didn't have to even take a boarding group number. We were eating on Lido by 11:30. I also know what CCLs site says but I am telling you that the first bus leaves at 10:00 AM, per the CCL rep at the airport.

We arrived at Hobby at 9:00 AM on Sunday. The CCL rep said the first bus leaves at 10:00 AM. It's about a 45 min to an hour ride to the port. We checked in when we arrived at the port and walked onto the ship. Very few people there so we didn't have to even take a boarding group number. We were eating on Lido by 11:30. I also know what CCLs site says but I am telling you that the first bus leaves at 10:00 AM, per the CCL rep at the airport.

Same exact experience on 12/17. Bus left Hobby a few minutes after ten and we were on board by 11:30.

Thanks for the info. I think we are now taking the CCL shuttle. We arrive the day before and staying at an airport hotel. We will take the shuttle from hotel back to the airport and catch the CCL shuttle. This is why I love CC. Awesome people with awesome information:D:D:D

Don't know about RCCL, but Carnival does not offer shuttles the day before. But Houston hotels are cheaper. We booked in Houston at a hotel that has a shuttle to/from airport. We will take shuttle back to airport the morning if cruise and catch the Carnival shuttle(much cheaper than other transportation).

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this is too late, but I just booked a pre-cruise hotel at Houston Hobby's Country Inn & Suites. There is a shuttle between the hotel and the airport. The rate I got was for 4 of us at $209 including taxes, but this includes transportation too and from the hotel to the cruise ship pier. I figure $100 for hotel charges and $100 for RT transportation basically from the airport to the ship. Pretty good deal. Don't know what cost for two would be, however.

Archived