Where is the Euro accepted

dorsetlad

We are on the Oceana Christmas cruise, calling a Zeebrugge, Amsterdam, Copenhagen and Gothenburg. I know Belgium and Holland will be OK, but will Denmark and Sweden accept Euros, or will I need some local currency.:confused:

Brian

In my experience you will need Danish and Swedish Krone. That is the one problem with the Christmas Market cruises - you need about five difference currencies. Alternatively, given the cost of things in Scandinavia - use your credit card.

Thanks both. For anything major I would certainly use my Halifax Clarity card which also has no overseas transaction charges, but I think it would be difficult for small purchases like coffee etc. We have been to Copenhagen before, and the Tivoli Gardens at least accepts euros, but gives any change in Danish Krona. I would have imagined that as the bulk of visitors are likely to be from EU countries, Euros would be accepted. By the way Sharon it is not a Christmas Markets cruise, but the Christmas Cruise where Santa comes down the funnel:)

Brian

We did a similar trip in the summer, throw in Oslo just to add to the currency issue!

It was no problem, I just used cashpoints at each port of call and we decided to spend whatever we withdrew. The only port we didn't spend anything was Helsingbord as we went on a trip for most of the day.

We did a cruise to the EU countries and Denmark and Finland and took some cash out of a hole in the wall, Danish Krone from memory, and decided to have lunch, not just a coffee:(, needless to say I did not have enough Krone and asked if he would take Euros. With a click on his machine, the balance was converted to euros and I paid the balance in euros. This was in a restaurant by the canal, so I don't think you will have any probs with euros. Not sure about Sweden.

By the way Sharon it is not a Christmas Markets cruise, but the Christmas Cruise where Santa comes down the funnel:)

Brian

That sounds good. I guess I was speaking from experience of Christmas Markets where I ended up with Euros, Norwegian, Danish and Swedish Krone. Baltic cruises are very similar but throw in St Petersburg as well, although Russians are very happy indeed to accept Euros, Dollars, or even Sterling!

I think any cruise line will give you a much worse deal than you can get online, or even from many High Street providers, and changing unused currency back to Sterling will also be expensive. Fred Olsen did a good deal when we were with them last year. They offered currency through a forex firm at good rates, delivered to the ship to collect on embarkation. Any unused currency could be changed back to Sterling on board, at the same rate that it was purchased. A credit card with no overseas transaction charges is obviously the best bet, provided you can get easy access to ATM's. I'm still undecided at the moment, which way to go.:confused:

Brian

We used Euros in Denmark and Sweden with no problems except for public loos in Sweden (easily solved by going for a coffee and using their loo!)

We usually get our foreign currency from larger Tesco (or Sainsburys/Asda) with foreign exchange desks...they consistently give good rates for smaller amounts i.e. less than 500 pounds.

What's P & Os exchange rate? Most other cruiselines it's not very good.

I don't expect P&O's is either. If you buy say £50 of local currency with P&O you might lose £1, maybe even close to £2, over the bank's rate. But it does make changing it back easier.

• 2 weeks later...

We're also on this cruise and just plan to change about £20 at the desk for non Euro days for a drink and maybe a little souviner. We were on a Baltic cruise last year (7 countries!) and did the same. It will be a worse exchange rate but it didn't seem worth all the effort to order and buy all the other currencies before hand for the sake of a couple of £'s. We usually have Euro's and $'s 'in stock' as 'universal currency'!!

Archived