For those that have flown Sydney to Miami....

bobhsv

We are flying into Miami a few days early, and obviosly wish to make the most of our time before sailing. The flight time via Dallas, is approx 20hrs. We depart Sydney early afternoon, and arrive Miami mid evening.

For those that have done this long haul, we are wondering if the next day we should sleep in and rest...or if we should be ok (after a nights sleep) to do a full day tour.

What was your experience re jetlag? Thanks.

Jen

We have done the trip and the next day is fine for a tour. We arrives late so couldn't do the trip to Key West we planned but the day tour of Miami was pretty good. we also went to an excellent French restaurant in Coconut Grove. If you tour Little Cuba and an old guy at the Chess park offers you a Panama Hat for 30 bucks buy it. Depends on where in Miami you are staying on what is good, we stayed near the port before we sailed which was ok but there isnt much around. We stayed at Coconut Grove on the return and it was great.

We are flying into Miami a few days early, and obviosly wish to make the most of our time before sailing. The flight time via Dallas, is approx 20hrs. We depart Sydney early afternoon, and arrive Miami mid evening.

For those that have done this long haul, we are wondering if the next day we should sleep in and rest...or if we should be ok (after a nights sleep) to do a full day tour.

What was your experience re jetlag? Thanks.

Jen

You need to adapt to the local time, so I suggest getting to bed as soon as possible after you arrive and plan to do sightseeing the next day - but not too strenuous. After a reasonably early night on your second night, you should be fine.

Thanks. We are staying at Hampton Inn Brickell. Will keep an eye out for the Panama hat. Our tour we had planned is with Miami Tour Co, morning Miami highlights and afternoon the Everglades.

I see where we clear customs in Dallas. Does that mean we will have to collect our luggage as well? I had thought our bags would continue on, until I read the customs clearance details. Original flight is Qantas, with codeshare on AA Dallas to Miami (still on same ticket marked as Qantas flight). Hate to get to Miami without our luggage!

Any other tips are welcome, ta!

Jen

I think you will have to collect and recheck your bags. We did a few flights with AA and they lost our bags twice although we did get them back both times, they were delayed rather than lost. They knew where they were it just wasn't where we were. If AA is an indication of where Joyce is trying to take qantas I hope they sack him soon. Word of warning checking in and getting to your gate is much slower than here.

I think we went on the Miami Tour Company tour as well which wasn't too bad. They will take you to Little Cuba and you go to a cigar shop where you will see a guy rolling cigars. There is a little supermarket that sells Cuban coffee, buy one it is about $1.50 and was the best coffee we had in the US.

We arrived at our hotel extra late as my travel buddy did not get her luggage. We changed plans in LA, but she had neglected to have her bags checked through from Sydney. I had mine checked right through to Miami. You still have to pick up luggage and take through customs, but I did not need to re-check luggage. Just left it at an appointed spot. My buddy thought that she had been checked right through. Wrong. We spent long hours waiting on following flights. Spent the next day shopping in case the luggage did not arrive. Lesson learnt. Double check that luggage has been marked right through to Miami, even with the need to go through Customs at LA or Dallas.

As for jet lag. None. We calculated we had been travelling for more than 30 hours. We showered and went straight to bed. Woke next morning and had a full day checking out the sights, no problems. And we are both 60+

My strategy is to never have anything booked for the first day. If we choose to go out and explore and do stuff we can but if we don't feel like it that's also fine. We usually end up going out to see some sights but its nice not to have that pressure.

You also have no idea if your mid evening arrival will become an early morning one due to delays.

My experience with American hotels is that they have piles of tours available that you can book on the day (or probably better the day before) - so , if you feel OK, you can ring and book one.

Barry

Going is easy.....coming home is the killer!

I flew Sydney to LAX with 2 hour stopover, then to Memphis with a 1 hour stopover that ended up being 3.5 hours, then onto Orlando. I got there at midnightish, by the time I got into the room, had a shower and hit bed it was 2 am. It was roughly 28 hours door to door.

I was up at 6 am the next morning, had a big brekky and then spent the entire day at Universal Studios. Didn't miss a beat. Took me 10 days though to stop waking up in the middle of the night and having the afternoon lag but I pushed through that with caffeine :p I had another full day on the go the next day also.

My first sea day on the cruise I slept in.....until 9 am :D

My motto............you can sleep when your dead! :)

Archived