Do you dress to Impress?

susie8862

I guess I'm somewhere in the middle :)

I wear natural looking makeup during the day - even out skin tones, make my eyelashes brown instead of blond, lip balm with color.... I will put on slightly more dramatic makeup for a night out - but I've always felt that make-up should enhance what we already have not change it. Everyone has beautiful features - either gorgeous skin, big eyes, lovely eyelashes, etc., even if we all can't look like a magazine cover :) I think makeup should be used to highlight those.

I wear what I consider normal clothing. I do wear jeans, but they are fitted, clean, un-rumpled. I try to wear t-shirt alternatives (casual, but not t-shirts) or t-shirts that are clean and fit me well. I dress up based on the occasion to look my best and also to feel comfortable (I don't want to stand out as being either over-dressed or under-dressed).

My DH does like it when I'm dressed nice. He swears he hates "make-up" but I think he means the heavy type 'cause he compliments the way I wear it. He's glad I'm trying to stay fit, etc., but is against any kind of cosmetic procedure. He tells me all the time that I'm beautiful and that as we age, I'll be beautiful for my age, and that all that surgery stuff is ridiculous.

As far as making an effort for someone else... I think it's a "truth in advertising" kind of thing. I do think it is unfair for women to change drastically after marriage (for reasons other than health and aging). If you wore nice clothes and makeup when you were dating, well - that's obviously what your SO liked.... He/She isn't going to stop liking that, and may feel a bit resentful that things have gone south after the dating phase. However, I know a lot of men who DON'T like that, dated women who didn't dress up or wear make-up, and are very happy that the woman they married goes "au natural".

All body types can be beautiful. I've not seen a post by anyone claiming we have to be skinny to look nice. But a person can dress for their shape and wear clothes that are clean. Some of the most beautiful women I know are not skinny, do not have "model" features, etc. They have embraced who they are, have self-confidence, and take pride in their appearance. Pride in one's appearance does not have to include makeup, or heels, or dresses, blow drying, or any particular style. I do think that clean, fitting clothes and brushed hair are kinda important though :)

Sailormom, you've posted many good things. From reading your post however, I would say that you do dress to impress... That is the way it should be. We should always want to look nice. We should always want to make a good impression. I think in many ways, the word impress can be taken many different ways.

I definitely dress to impress. I too, dress so that I look in the mirror, and like what I see. I go to work each day, and I'm representing my bank. Yes, I do need to make a good impression on my fellow employees and customers.

When I'm on a cruise, I feel like I can dress in many different styles, from casual to formal, and impress. I want to look good for myself, for my husband. Whether we say we care what others wear or not is rather misleading. Let's face it, we all notice what others wear. It doesn't ruin my dinner or anything like that if someone strolls in wearing shorts. Do I see it and wonder why? Sure I do. Then the thought is dismissed quickly, as I enjoy my time with my husband.

Do I dress to make others say "wow"? Yes and no. I do like to look good at dinner, no matter what night, on a cruise. I put thought ino the attire, and I would like to think that others look and say, "gee that looks nice." No, I'm no going to look like a magazine cover or anything like that. I'm a bit bigger than I used to be, and I swear, my eyes are crooked! :p But I take care with makeup, select the dress and shoes and jewelry, and do my best.

Sailormom, you've posted many good things. From reading your post however, I would say that you do dress to impress... That is the way it should be. We should always want to look nice. We should always want to make a good impression. I think in many ways, the word impress can be taken many different ways.

I definitely dress to impress. I too, dress so that I look in the mirror, and like what I see. I go to work each day, and I'm representing my bank. Yes, I do need to make a good impression on my fellow employees and customers.

When I'm on a cruise, I feel like I can dress in many different styles, from casual to formal, and impress. I want to look good for myself, for my husband. Whether we say we care what others wear or not is rather misleading. Let's face it, we all notice what others wear. It doesn't ruin my dinner or anything like that if someone strolls in wearing shorts. Do I see it and wonder why? Sure I do. Then the thought is dismissed quickly, as I enjoy my time with my husband.

Do I dress to make others say "wow"? Yes and no. I do like to look good at dinner, no matter what night, on a cruise. I put thought ino the attire, and I would like to think that others look and say, "gee that looks nice." No, I'm no going to look like a magazine cover or anything like that. I'm a bit bigger than I used to be, and I swear, my eyes are crooked! :p But I take care with makeup, select the dress and shoes and jewelry, and do my best.

We think very much alike!

I'll tell a story on myself. On my March cruise earlier this year on HAL's Noordam, I wore my favorite formal dress the first night. I put my hair up, spent a little extra time on my makeup, and I felt good about how I looked, which to me, is all that matters. My boyfriend, now fiance, was with me and he always says how I never have to dress up for him. We're usually shorts and t-shirts people here in Mexico, but I do love to dress up now and then.

We walked into the crow's nest before dinner as there was a very good female singer/guitarist there with whom we had become friendly. She had just finished a song when we walked in. She stopped when she saw me and said into the microphone in her lovely Texas twang, "Wow, you look beautiful!" Every head in the place turned to look at me as I stopped dead. I was embarrassed at first, but at the same time, I felt really, really good. My boyfriend was grinning from ear to ear. That was a moment to remember and cherish.

• 2 weeks later...
We should always want to look nice. We should always want to make a good impression. I think in many ways, the word impress can be taken many different ways.

Sure, but what we want and what we're willing to do to get what we want are different things. I want to always wear comfortable and flattering clothes - but I'm not willing to pay the 5 figures it would cost to get me that kind of wardrobe. Reality requires us to compromise often, and it's not just about what we want.........

I think "impress" can only be taken one way, but there are many paths to impressing yourself and others :)

Sure, but what we want and what we're willing to do to get what we want are different things. I want to always wear comfortable and flattering clothes - but I'm not willing to pay the 5 figures it would cost to get me that kind of wardrobe. Reality requires us to compromise often, and it's not just about what we want.........

I think "impress" can only be taken one way, but there are many paths to impressing yourself and others :)

One can do that without spending that kind of money.:)

And yes, there are days that I hate the high heels and all of the other stuff BUT my sweetie loves it and I love the look in his eyes when I am dressed to the "nines".

But I also love to camp and work out ...so there is always a balance.

I do wear comfortable clothes in the house but like many of you...I wouldn't leave the house w/o makeup and etc.

And when we are cruising...I spend even more time getting ready including hats during the day (no sun for me) and planning my outfits (and under "outfits") for each evening.

But the true beauty of being a woman is supporting all women regardless of their fashion choices.

Hugs y'all

Donna

One can do that without spending that kind of money.:)

Maybe you can........

That was my point: Off the rack clothes aren't comfortable and flattering for everyone, and so some of us are content to dress acceptably and nicely, while not worrying about impressing people with the way we dress. If a woman isn't the shape and size of what's available, or doesn't look good in the colours that are out this season, or who doesn't like the feel or function of the fabric that is "in" this year, there's not much they can do. Count yourself lucky if you like and fit into commercially available clothes year after year. I get every pair of pants I wear significantly altered so they'll fit, often paying more for the alterations than I do for the pants themselves. I have yet to find dresses that fit my shape properly, and finding tops, either shirts or t-shirts, that are flattering and fit well is almost impossible (though I can often find the latter without the former). I'd get them altered too, except I'm already paying so much to get my basic chinos altered (though I am pleased as punch to find a seamstress who can actually do it, at any price).

One size never fits all, and for those of us who don't have off-the-rack bodies, dressing in properly fitting and flattering clothes can get very, very expensive.

And then there are some who genuinely enjoy fashion and dressing as a means of creative expression. I genuinely get great pleasure from putting together my wardrobe that I'll wear on holiday and thinking about what goes with what, pulling out old favourites and mixing it up with the odd new precious purchase. It adds to my holiday experience and is part of the fun of the pre-cruise excitement. The same goes when on-shore. I love visiting local shops on shore and appreciating the creativity of others whether it's a local craft market or a high street fashion store. It's all art to me. Doesn't mean I don't also appreciate the natural beauty of the places we visit. It merely makes life a whole lot more colourful. As an aside it makes my husband's life more colourful too and he appreciates and loves me for it.:)

;)I totally agree. my cruising experience starts with planning the usual tours along with planning my clothes for the experiences. I love putting my outfits together and like the above it is part of my cruising experience.

My daily life is very casual, so i can enjoy the preparing for our evening on board. It makes me feel fabulous, for me.

Mischam.

I don't want anyone to misunderstand me........if you love clothes, love dressing up, love selecting the perfect wardrobe, etc, that's great! Enjoy it and continue to make that an enjoyable part of your life. Just please don't judge others (as some on this thread have) for not putting their emphasis or enjoyment on clothes, or for not using clothes as a way to impress those whom they want to impress (including themselves).

For some like me, shopping for clothes is a nightmare - so you'll understand that some people don't enjoy spending a lot of time or get a lot of enjoyment out of clothes.

Maybe you can........

That was my point: Off the rack clothes aren't comfortable and flattering for everyone, and so some of us are content to dress acceptably and nicely, while not worrying about impressing people with the way we dress. If a woman isn't the shape and size of what's available, or doesn't look good in the colours that are out this season, or who doesn't like the feel or function of the fabric that is "in" this year, there's not much they can do. Count yourself lucky if you like and fit into commercially available clothes year after year. I get every pair of pants I wear significantly altered so they'll fit, often paying more for the alterations than I do for the pants themselves. I have yet to find dresses that fit my shape properly, and finding tops, either shirts or t-shirts, that are flattering and fit well is almost impossible (though I can often find the latter without the former). I'd get them altered too, except I'm already paying so much to get my basic chinos altered (though I am pleased as punch to find a seamstress who can actually do it, at any price).

One size never fits all, and for those of us who don't have off-the-rack bodies, dressing in properly fitting and flattering clothes can get very, very expensive.

I am another person who needs clothing alterations because off the rack clothes never fit! And it is truly difficult to find a good tailor. I think the key is to have very little, but love what you have. I have given up on dresses and now only have skirts and tops. Well fitting pants are almost impossible to find. I usually buy classic clothes and have them altered. I also keep them for years. That helps to offset the cost.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so where did you get the idea you have to spend five figures to look great?

I am fortunate to be able to spend money on clothes, but I DO NOT. I can't justify the money for new when I can buy classy "second hand". I go to all second hand stores, charity shops, etc. to buy better made stuff from "back in the day" or whatever. I'd rather buy a pair of Chanel pants from the 1980's that still look classy and well made for $50 instead of a brand new pari of crap made pants from Vera Wang and her Kohl's line..or anything else from Kohl's for that manner. Guess jeans and bags from Goodwill? Yep. Bought an Italian made dress at Goodwill last year..complete with label and tags still on it..was orginally over $200..paid $20. When I had the chance to go to London a few years ago I shopped in all the charity shops and got a fabulous one of a kind wardrobe for pennies. If I can find a vintage Pucci dress for $100 I'll buy it.

People often don't take good care of their clothes, either. They wash what they shouldn't, wash in the wrong type of water, don't hand wash, yada yada yada. Even if you have good looking "cheap" clothes you can take good care of them so they still look presentable.

To quote you, "reality requires us to compromise often". For the same reason, I rarely waste my money on eating out, magazines, etc. and save my money so I can buy better clothes, stay in nicer places, 5 star versus 3 star hotels, etc. Those things to me are more vaulable and worth the money.

Interesting thread here...

Ok, so where did you get the idea you have to spend five figures to look great?

Experience.

I know exactly how hard it is to find clothes to fit me - even how hard it was to find a seamstress who could do the necessary alterations, at any cost. I also know that my colouring (hardly unique) is currently out of style, and many clothes that are attractive on the rack are the wrong colour and very unattractive on me. Maybe some day "jewel" colours will be back in style for women and we can do away with the pastels and metallics ;)

Regardless of the cost, the designer label, or the quality of workmanship, some people just do not have body sizes, shapes, and colouring to look good in the available clothing off the rack. Sadly, I'm one of those people. Perhaps some day my shape and size will be in fashion, but I'm not holding my breath. And we haven't even discussed what we like the look of (personal aesthetics) - the first step's just about getting a good, flattering fit.

I don't want anyone to misunderstand me........if you love clothes, love dressing up, love selecting the perfect wardrobe, etc, that's great! Enjoy it and continue to make that an enjoyable part of your life. Just please don't judge others (as some on this thread have) for not putting their emphasis or enjoyment on clothes, or for not using clothes as a way to impress those whom they want to impress (including themselves).

For some like me, shopping for clothes is a nightmare - so you'll understand that some people don't enjoy spending a lot of time or get a lot of enjoyment out of clothes.

Everyone is different....I have many friends who don't wear makeup or like to shop. I've gotten snarky remarks because I wear makeup to an A.M. cardio class. To each his own. Most people here probably like makeup and clothes, thus coming to this board.

I think the term "dress to impress" connotes a level of snobbery. I dress tastefully in figure flattering clothing that are age appropriate. I don't dress to impress anyone else, but I prefer to look in the mirror and like what I see looking back. I have a low maintenance hairstyle that requires a few minutes with a blow dryer. I wear makeup, but with a light touch. I'd rather see a woman in age appropriate, well fitting clothes from JC Penney than a woman in expensive designer clothes that don't suit their figure or their age. (Donatella Versace, anyone?)

I think that there's a happy medium that most of us live in. We recognize that we aren't super models, but use the available tools (some make up, a good hair cut, and clothes that look good on us in every sense) to present a good appearance that looks like we've got some self respect and self esteem without spending a huge amount of time or money in the process.

I'm still not buying your argument :) Look at all the shows on tv that take women who say the very same thing as you do and still take whatever clothes they can find and make themelves look presentable.

A big problem I see (not saying this is you) is that many large women who can't find good clothes that fit make the mistake of buying clothes that make them look even bigger..mostly in terms of buying certain patterns (horizontal stripes dont look good on anyone in my opinion) or wear their clothes too baggy, hence making them look bigger.

Regardless of size or shape, everyone can make themselves look presentable with what they have. Even if it's just ironing your clothes!

Experience.

I know exactly how hard it is to find clothes to fit me - even how hard it was to find a seamstress who could do the necessary alterations, at any cost. I also know that my colouring (hardly unique) is currently out of style, and many clothes that are attractive on the rack are the wrong colour and very unattractive on me. Maybe some day "jewel" colours will be back in style for women and we can do away with the pastels and metallics ;)

Regardless of the cost, the designer label, or the quality of workmanship, some people just do not have body sizes, shapes, and colouring to look good in the available clothing off the rack. Sadly, I'm one of those people. Perhaps some day my shape and size will be in fashion, but I'm not holding my breath. And we haven't even discussed what we like the look of (personal aesthetics) - the first step's just about getting a good, flattering fit.