Do you dress to Impress?

susie8862

• 1 month later...
I don't know if I should really bump this controversial thread up to the top, but I wish a lot of you ladies knew that threads like these make me nervous about going on my first cruise.

Why? The people on there will be no different than anywhere else in the world......there will be some who judge quietly, some who judge and gossip, some who don't care. Just like anywhere else.

I don't know if I should really bump this controversial thread up to the top, but I wish a lot of you ladies knew that threads like these make me nervous about going on my first cruise.

I was also pretty nervous on my first cruise, and packed a lot of stuff for those "dressy" nights. We now cruise on Princess, and they seem pretty casual these days. And I pack a lot less. Dressy pants (black), a couple of dressy tops and a nice wrap and dressy shoes(black sandals ) with a narrow but not too high heel and some sparkly earrings. I find it too darn cold in the dining rooms for any of my cute cocktail dresses, and I only see a few formal gowns these days, mostly on older women, dripping in jewels. We have been on several cruises, and they seem more casual all the time. The most experienced cruisers often travel with carry on bags only, and that limits their formal attire as well. Some just rent it on board. No fuss, no muss. I suppose if I were invited to dine with the captain, I would consider renting. Not likely to happen! Don't stress. Just have fun!

I agree I with this wholeheartedly. I see as much sloppy clothing and grooming among younger people as I do among older. One can be trendy and still be tacky, but classic elegance never goes out of style, no matter what one's age. The key to looking great as one ages is to be current, but not trendy (avoid extremes).

Love that saying. Oh, so true. I whole heartedly agree that casual elegance never goes out of style. In fact, IMHO simple lines are usually most flattering. Try to keep hair and makeup current. Get that manicure. Good grooming is key to a classy appearance.

Why? The people on there will be no different than anywhere else in the world......there will be some who judge quietly, some who judge and gossip, some who don't care. Just like anywhere else.

Well that's a very good point. I just must be naive - I never really think about the fact that people who never even speak to me might be judging me. Don't get me wrong, I don't usually slack it up in public, and I enjoying looking (what I think is) cute. But my mind is usually so full of my own to do lists and issues and projects and random weird thoughts I never really think about what other people are wearing or how their hair is (except, I guess, when I really like it and am inspired). But you're right - as the saying goes "What other people think of me is none of my business." And my plans for this cruise include so much fun/relaxing I don't really having much time to fit in worrying :). So thanks for the reminder!

I remember my first 7-day cruise and how nervous I was. I kept telling my husband that I had nothing to wear! He took me shopping at Dillard's and I bought way too many clothes just for a cruise. I sweated over every item I packed, not knowing if it was nice enough.

After a bunch of cruising since that day, I've really scaled down what I bring. I've gone from polyester slacks to denim to sun dresses. Whatever makes me comfortable but doesn't make me look homeless. I want clothes I don't have to iron and are wash and wear.

Have a great time and don't sweat the small stuff.

Thanks! I've also bought way too many clothes (with matching jewelry and shoes - I'm in the fashion board for a reason!) and I'm excited to wear them. My cruise is getting so close I'm getting excited about practically every detail, really.

Thanks for the reassurance and kindness, ladies :)

Well that's a very good point. I just must be naive - I never really think about the fact that people who never even speak to me might be judging me. Don't get me wrong, I don't usually slack it up in public, and I enjoying looking (what I think is) cute. But my mind is usually so full of my own to do lists and issues and projects and random weird thoughts I never really think about what other people are wearing or how their hair is (except, I guess, when I really like it and am inspired). But you're right - as the saying goes "What other people think of me is none of my business." And my plans for this cruise include so much fun/relaxing I don't really having much time to fit in worrying :). So thanks for the reminder!

Thanks! I've also bought way too many clothes (with matching jewelry and shoes - I'm in the fashion board for a reason!) and I'm excited to wear them. My cruise is getting so close I'm getting excited about practically every detail, really.

Thanks for the reassurance and kindness, ladies :)

If you see anyone onboard (or here on CC) look down their noses at you for not conforming to how they believe you should be dressed, smile and feel pity for them for having such narrow minds and shallow lives ;) Life is too short to worry about something so trivial!!!