Oosterdam in Dry Dock

linanles

Does anyone know what work is currently being done on the Oosterdam while it is in dry dock in Sydney?

Apart from anti-fouling which has already been reported elsewhere.

We heard on the ship they would also be replacing some of the carpet, but then we also heard "officially" this was just a routinely scheduled maintenance as well with no details which was odd since some people reported having their planned cruises during this time canceled at the last minute, because of this "expected" dry dock.

And while there were azipod problems reported earlier when in Alaska a few months ago, none were apparent while we were on board, (Nov/Dec 2012- last trip before dry dock) or revealed during the ship's back room tour, even though the ship's engineer was asked this question.

There were a few places of frayed carpeting joinder seams on a few of the stair treads and Vista Lounge floor where the wear was the heaviest and some normal wear and tear scuffing of corners and wall surfaces, but over all the ship decor appeared to be in a glittering and well-maintained state. Oh yes, some of the Lido pool faux-wicker loungers were starting to unravel at the top.

It would be too much to hope the unfortunately bilious carpet choices for this ship (which does not deserve this decor mistreatment) would be replaced entirely because in 99% of the areas, it is holding up very well. :(

It would be too much to hope the unfortunately bilious carpet choices for this ship (which does not deserve this decor mistreatment) would be replaced entirely because in 99% of the areas, it is holding up very well. :(

Maybe it's that bilious that people don't want to walk on it. Hence, the long life. :D

There are inspections that have to be performed on equipment that can only be done in a dry dock. I have heard that the Azipods , Front thrusters and anchors (and chains) have to be inspected . These items can't be done while at sea or docked.

Just like any other dry dock, it will get a complete cosmetic upgrade, along with certain mechanical items the need to be maintained.

The underside of the ship will have barnacles removed, and normal maintenance performed.

I understood that all the carpet and perhaps the flooring are being replaced in the Neptune Lounge. Also, when seated at the very back of the dining room, the noise and vibration were a bit intrusive and uncomfortable. Issued this was due to the bad azipod.

Do we have anymore updates on the dry docking? I read today on another post that the carpets and upholstery in the suites are being re done!? Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers

Steve

I did the ship tour on the Solar Eclipse Cruise, having swapped from the Dec 5 (cruise, aka Dry Dock. The Hotel Manager said they were working on the azipods, polishing and repainting the hull, renewing carpets in some public areas (not specified) and in passenger suites plus some improvements to soft furnishings and generally doing some tarting up. I hope they take the opportunity to vary the carpet colours when they renew them. The carpet in our suite reminded me of feltex - always clean of course but boringly brown!

When we were on board the Volendam December last year, Rene' Tuinman (Hotel Manager) gave a very interesting talk "A Cruise Ship Transformation" telling of all the work that had been done at dry dock earlier in the year. Huge amount of work completed during the two weeks. He showed some before and after photos.

Seems to me that HAL is really missing a marketing opertunity not sharing what is happening during dry docks.

I think DBA posted interior photos of the Maasdam a year ago when it was getting its change-over to the MIX bar set up as well as other interior shots. Places that had become so familiar to passengers were gutted down to their girders - it was strange to see how much they can tear out on the inside that in fact is just "temporary" housing inside the far more permanent hull.

Talk about cut and paste -- that is what dry docked looked like from those photos. Agree, this does make a very good passenger info talk and I hope they do more of them like the other Volemdam passengers got -good idea HAL - take note.

I really hope they release some photos ASAP after she leaves dry dock! Can't wait to see some of the changes!

Anyone here booked on her first trip afterwards? Would love an update once onboard of all the changes!

Steve

We are onboard for the xmas cruise, will post some photos, when we arrive home.

Archived