Oosterdam NZ Discovery

magandab

Aggghh, I just typed out a review and it went "poof"! I kept a brief diary on my cruise and will paste it in below but it's more a day to day experience than a review. So, for the review:

Service: Sometimes okay, sometimes very good, sometimes excellent. Our room stewards were fine, but nothing spectacular. They kept the room clean and were in and out quickly. They were always friendly and smiling. There were a few times when dirty dishes were left until the next cleanup and we had to make sure to use the Privacy sign even when popping into the cabin for a few minutes. Otherwise, it seemed that the "Housekeeping" and knock on the door was simultaneous with the door opening. Service in the Neptune, Pinnacle, Canaletto, and Lido was outstanding in every way. The dining room was a bit slow (we had open dining) and I agree that getting a second cup of coffee is a lost hope. Worse, for me, was that I could never get my coffee with my dessert, which is my preference.

Food: Very good to excellent. I enjoyed everything I ordered, everything was the correct temperature. I thought the dishes were more exciting and creative this cruise than they had been.

Entertainment: This was a surprise after reading some opinions on here. We found the entertainment to be better than on any other cruise. Even the song-and-dance evenings, which we did not attend, were raved about by other passengers.

Ship: Yes, she's showing a little wear and tear, but honestly I had to look for it and only because other had mentioned what poor shape they found the ship to be in. AC/Heat worked, plumbing worked, beds were comfortable. All was good.

Ack, the pasted-in entry made one giant paragraph. Will format and try again.

]11/18/2012

Since our ride to LAX tomorrow fell through, Tim drove us to the airport Radisson. What a lovely hotel and the staff could not have been nicer, friendlier or more accommodating. The food was great too. I feel like our cruise luxury started early!

We were able to stay in our room until 3, then checked out and spent an hour in the hotel lounge before having the shuttle take us to the airport, all of 5 minutes away. Check-in and security were a breeze and then we were left with 5+ hours until our flight and a choice of $12+ sandwiches to eat. We passed.

But being there early was they key to a wonderful experience. A young Filipino man greeted us and asked if we were going to Manilla also. He was "for work" and then to visit family. As we talked he mentioned that he had been held up in security because he had ice skates in his carry-on bag. Huh?

It turns out that Christopher Is a world class figure skater. He has competed in world championships and performs all over the world representing the Philippines. He showed us one of his performances that he had on his cell phone He was born and raised American but to parents from the Philippines. He was the kind of kid that gives you hope for the word. See him at this link:

11/20/2012

Today never happened. We flew over the International Date Line and it just

disappeared.

11/21/2012

After an uneventful and largely pleasant flight (I can highly recommend Premium Economy on Qantas), we zoomed through what felt like a couple of dozen checkpoints at Sydney airport and were met by the cheerful HAL staff in their bright red shirts. We were given emigration forms (we are leaving again!?!) and the health questionnaire to fill out and then

boarded our bus to go to the ship. Since we arrived early, and it was only about 9:30 or so, HAL included a free tour of the city. Much like our experience with this in Montreal, we spotted our ship many times and wished we could go straight there.

Finally, right on time, we arrived at the Oosterdam at 12:15. This is where we experienced our first taste of the suite life as we bypassed the lines to check in and were done in minutes. We immediately boarded and found our home for the next two weeks.

Our suite, room 7091, is unbelievable! I paced it off and realized that the square footage is more than half that of my house! We very soon met our cabin steward Ary, who has a smile that would melt an iceberg. I did a quick exploration of the ship and realized we don't cruise enough - I don't remember where everything is! Muster drill, and off we went.

The ship was docked right next to the Opera House and between driving past it on the bus, the view from the ship, and the vie as we sailed past, I think I have photos of it from every possible angle.

A quick visit to the Neptune Lounge for the cocktail party (a little to crowded and a little too noisy for our taste) we had a quick bite from the barbecue on the Lido and made it an early night.

11/22/2012

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm not sure if I slept 9 hours or was in a coma, but I don't think I moved a muscle all night. Ahhh those HAL beds. Breakfast in the Pinnacle was absolutely lovely, with a delightful couple from Germany.

The Meet and Greet put together by Mark was enjoyed by everyone and there was much fun, conversation and laughter. Partway through Mark made the group get up and change seats so we all could meet and converse with other people so it was truly a way to meet quite a few people and get to know them. It was a lovely group of people and went on well over an hour.

After a relaxing session of reading in the cabin, it was time for Dutch High Tea. It was quite popular and the line into the dining room was out to the elevators. It moved along and as we entered we picked up a plate and made our selection from a large assortment of cakes, tarts and savories. Contrary to past experience with "pretty" cakes, these tasted good as well as being pleasing to the eye. Once seated, we were asked to select from the box of Bigelow tea bags and hot water was poured. It was a lovely and fattening experience but I'm not sure what was Dutch about it.

Back to the cabin and Mom took a nap and I finished book 1.

It was then time for dinner and our first formal night. We weren't particularly hungry but managed to eat anyway. A traditional Thanksgiving dinner was one option, but I had the salmon and crab cake entree! Delicious!

Tomorrow, our first stop and excursion in Hobart, Tasmania - Wines and Wildlife. We were cautioned by our table mates not to refer to having come to Tasmania from Australia. Tasmanians tend to be a bit sensitive about being excluded from their own county. 

11/23/2012

Arrival in Hobart and it's a beautiful sunny day! Room service breakfast got here five minutes early so we nibbled our toast and fruit as we prepared for our day.

First up was a trip to the Bonorong Animal Preserve. This is a wonderful facility that helps orphaned and injured animals and has helped save some species from extinction. In natural habitats there are kangaroos, koalas, wombats, emus, Tasmanian Devils, Cockatoos and more. It's is an easy, though sometimes uneven walk around to see the animal, and to feed and pet some of them. Hint - kangaroos love to be scratched between the front legs.

We then took the short drive to Richmond to see the architecture of a different era and do a little shopping if the mood struck.

Finally, we visited the Moorilla Wine Cellars for lunch and wine tasting. We had a variety of olives, pâté, meats, cheeses and more, paired with five or six wines. Absolutely wonderful, and so much fun! We bought a couple of bottles to enjoy onboard ship.

Back to the ship to enjoy perfect weather for the sailaway and our next two days at sea.

We took in tonight's show, singer Patrick McMahon,an Australian who performs songs by Neil Diamond, Kenny Rogers, Bob Dylan, and others, in each artist's own style. He had been described to me as "crazy" and the description fit. But, I haven't had so much fun at a performance in a long time. He'll probably perform again later in the cruise and I'll make it a point to attend.

All in all, a perfect day in a perfect place.

11/24/2012

A day at sea after turning our clocks ahead an hour as we move to the west. A light breakfast in the Neptune Lounge, as today is the Mariner's brunch. A warm salmon salad and quiche followed by a key lime tart for dessert. Mariner tiles were hand out at the end (the four Vista class ships).

We sat near the back of the dining room, and the sound and vibration from the bad azipod were very noticeable. That made me glad that I had not chosen one of the aft wrap cabins that were available when we got our upsell offer.

After a long and restful afternoon nap, we chose to have dinner in the Lido . As advertised, the food was the same selection as in the dining room; it was quiet and quite enjoyable. I was thrilled to find my favorite, coffee ice cream with chocolate sauce for dessert.

We meandered off to find the ship's version of the Adagio Strings and as we approached the lounge notice a crowd lining the hallway. The lounge was full, leaving standing room only for the one violinist and pianist. I wondered, "Could they be THAT good?" Yes, they could. The best I've ever experienced on a HAL ship.

11/25/2012

Another sea day, with low clouds, some mist, and a bit chilly. Fortunately we have not (yet) experienced the infamous, nasty-tempered Tasman Sea. The clouds seem to be holding the sea down and making for only enough movement to allow us to know we are on the ocean.

Our Aussie, Patrick McMahon, performer from a couple of days ago is putting on an afternoon concert which we will attend before getting spiffed up for our second formal night dinner - it's lobster and escargot tonight, both of which I'll pass in favor of other delicacies.

The second concert was as good as the first and had a packed house on both levels of the showroom. As on the night of his first shows, people were lined up to buy his CD and have him autograph them.

Since we are living the suite life, we decided to invite Mark and Peter to share out gift bottle of wine (from our travel agent) and some appetizers from the Neptune Lounge. Yummy nibbles showed up right on time, and beautifully presented.

11/26/2012

After an early breakfast (too early - we had marked our cards for 6:30 - 7:00 a.m. and the knock on the door was at 6!!!) today's stop was Dunedin/Port Chalmers. We took the Taieri Gorge train excursion. The train picks up right on the dock, literally right next to the ship. We chugged along through town and then started up to the top amid gorgeous flowers and breathtaking scenery. The volunteers on the train kept us plied with food and drink throughout and answered all our questions. I highly recommend this trip at least once.

Back at the ship we took a quick nap (I'm beginning to see a trend) we had dinner at the Canaletto. The $10 pp charge and well worth it. The staff was entirely professional and charming. The antipasto and soup choices were the same as before, and now there is a tomato mozzarella salad which I don't remember and it was delicious. For dinner I had the linguini fruti de mare and enjoyed every bite. Desserts have also stayed the same. This was the first time we received cotton candy with dessert and it is definitely freshly made and reminded me of

being a kid at the county fair.

A glass of wine was not included but we ordered a bottle of the Canaletto Pinot Grigio and enjoyed it very much. The rest of the bottle awaits another meal.

Also, there has some discussion about a charge for cappuccino in the dining room. I've witnessed several people ordering it and saw no evidence of anyone being charged for it. It was offered with dessert in the Canaletto and we were not charged.

We spent the evening - again, listening to the piano/violin duo in the

Explorer's Lounge - the perfect end to another glorious day.

11/27/2012

Today is our first tender port - Akaroa. We awoke to almost painful sunshine. We had nothing booked for today so enjoyed a leisurely start, with breakfast in the Pinnacle before going ashore to see what he down had to offer.

What the town had to offer was stunning scenery and a great location to walk, shop, and have a bite to eat. This is where I gave in to some serious retail therapy and bought myself a merino wool, opossum, and silk sweater cape. Utter luxury! Fortunately it could be shipped home, minus the tax and for a very reasonable $20 shipping charge. Given the very favorable exchange rate between the NZ and USA dollars, it was almost a bargain. Almost. That's what I'm telling myself anyway.

We meandered a bit more then stopped for a date scone (baked in a flower pot) with cream and jam and a great cup of coffee. Mom headed back to the ship and I walked the town again.

We had a late dinner, listened to the violinist and stayed up to see the Filipino crew show, something worth seeing once.

We came back to the cabin and saw that Leo Ward, an amazing illusionist is on board for tomorrow and we will not miss that. We saw him a few years ago and I've been raving about him ever since.

11/28/2012

Wellington, the Capitol of NZ. Our driver, Peter (“I don't answer to driver") picked us up and off we went to the far end of the harbor. He was funny and a wealth of information about the city and the recent and ancient history of the area. We came to a sheep station where we were treated to tea or coffee and an assortment of sweet and savory treats. Mike, the owner of the station, demonstrated his two types of sheep dogs - one who worked silently and one who barked the entire time. Or, as he explained it, the type you take with you to steal sheep, and the type you don’t.

Back to the ship for lunch at the Lido Mexican grill (surprisingly good

tamales!) then a nap.

Leo Ward was still very very good but not as polished as I remember him. Seemed to be having an off (read Klutzy) day. He performed the same illusions he had three years ago, when we saw him last. We finished the day back with Adagio, then a very light snack before bed, as we had skipped dinner.

11/29/2012

Today's stop was Napier and a Maori experience. We were taken to an ancient Maori site where we experienced the traditional warrior challenge, and then were greeted and made welcome. We learned about various aspects of the Maori culture and life including fighting, music, dance, and cultivation. I expected it to be a bit hokey but in reality it was beautiful and moving.

We had an early sailaway to make the tide for our arrival in Tauranga. Our third formal night starred surf and turf (I had the mushroom ravioli - mmmmm)

Another evening enjoying Adagio and off to bed.

We were warned earlier today that a ship that was in Tauranga today has some noro virus aboard so we need to be even more careful about hand washing!

11/30/2012

Today we somehow had another, slightly different, Maori shore excursion booked. So, since Mom woke up with a cough that seemed headed for a cold, I checked with the Neptune concierge about canceling it. She told me it was non-refundable but on looking further she saw there was a wait list for that tour. Promptly at 8 I was at the excursion desk and was able to cancel and get a refund.

It was a dreary cloudy day most of the day so we read, napped, and Mom was feeling much better so we kept our reservation at Canaletto and thoroughly enjoyed another meal there.

It was no hardship to skip The Marriage Game and enjoy a full evening of violin and piano music.

12/1/2012

We docked in Aukland and were greeted by quite a few guests of the Hilton Hotel who came out on their balconies directly opposite ours. I would not have wanted to stay at that hotel and have my view completely blotted out by a cruse ship!

After a light breakfast in our cabin, we set off for our excursion - a visit to an aquarium to see the penguins, sharks and other marine life. It was fascinating and very well done. Then we went to the Aukland Sky Tower, which I would not bother visiting again. Yes, the views were quite breathtaking, but the crowds made it uncomfortable and unpleasant.

Back to he ship for lunch and reading on the veranda, then sailaway. Our friends the Adagio duo were featured in the Vista Lounge and we went to the 9 p.m. show, then an early night to bed!

12/2/2012

Today we visited the beautiful Bay of Islands. We took a catamaran tour which let us see the Hole in the Rock, porpoises, and scenery beyond belief. It was a spectacularly beautiful day and the perfect last port of the trip. Since this was another tender port, we got off a boat, on a boat, off a boat, on a boat, off a boat, on a boat, off a boat and on a boat. Yeah, made me dizzy too.

We ate a very light lunch in the Neptune Lounge and later had dinner in the Pinnacle. Superb in every detail.

Again, our evening was spent listening to David and Attila - violin and piano.

12/2/2012 and 12/3/2012

Our last two days were sea days, perfect for winding down to face real life again. Our last formal night – Lobster Tails this time, I had the Vegetarian Korma – was 12/2. We spent our time playing a little trivia, relaxing, napping (yes, again), and starting to pack.

12/5/2012

The cherry on top of the whipped cream, on top of the hot fudge, on top of the ice cream…… When we checked in for our flight at Sydney Airport, we learned we had been bumped up to Business Class. Felt like we were still enjoying the suite life…..

Ship: Yes, she's showing a little wear and tear, but honestly I had to look for it and only because other had mentioned what poor shape they found the ship to be in. AC/Heat worked, plumbing worked, beds were comfortable. All was good.

Ack, the pasted-in entry made one giant paragraph. Will format and try again.

Concur, on the same trip so thanks for your report. Appreciate you persevreing after those early poof, where did it go! frustrations.

I too went looking for the alleged ship's shabbiness and found only a few stair tread joint seams which were getting tatty mainly on the lower decks where the traffic would be the heaviest - but only where they seamed in a contrasting color patch on the last stair tread before it hit the next floor - some fraying around the seamed-in warning color patch. But no other blatant wear spots noted anywhere else.

In the show room we sat near the lecturer on the main floor and I noticed under the chairs and seating there were also some separated carpet seams there too. A few scuff on the walls and base molding corners where obviously cleaning equipment had been dragged around them a few too many times (just like home).

And yes, during busy times at the Lido there was some food that had fallen from some passenger's meal left on the floor under the Lido tables, but honestly the crew could hardly have time to get under them to clean them out due to the rapid table turn-over during that time, while they had other serving duties. Okay, not nice but understandable. And the dark carpets did make it more obvious.

I am no fan of the Oosterdam's decor or color schemes, but overall I found it to be in very good and glistening condition. And she certainly looked pretty on the outside, though her bottom was green and slimy and well due for her planned scrub-down.

Thank you for taking time to write this report of your cruise.

Sounds like you enjoyed the cruise.

Did you have calm crossings of the Tasman Sea?

While I am here now I'll chime in on this question - we had pretty much a smooth ride the entire trip -nothing untoward about crossing the Tasman Sea both ways. We did have seasickness bags out twice for a few hours but can't remember where, nor did anything particularly strong happen during those times. But I also take preventive Bonine too so maybe I missed something.

Hobart and a trip to the Port Arthur was very pretty and only marred by the very poor local guide that came with the package at the site. Once we ditched him, we had a great time on our own. We had a beautiful sunny day here for that entire excursion and liked the Tasmanian wines we were able to sample in a cute little town we visited on the way back. Lots of glorious pictures of the countryside. I can see why Tasmania got voted a top international retirement destination.

The only temperature problems we had on the trip were in the Vista Lounge during the day ...brrrr. And I think many of us thought we were going to visit "summer" in this part of the world, and were not prepared to chill out on the ship itself.

It was often a windy and cool trip outdoors on the ship and on some of the shore excisions --- so finding those possum silk sweaters in New Zealand were perfect cover-ups. I even found a cute extra sweater in a thrift shop in our last stop to bail out my deficient cruise wardrobe this time. $4 and a great deal for future cruises now too.

Thank you for taking time to write this report of your cruise.

Sounds like you enjoyed the cruise.

Did you have calm crossings of the Tasman Sea?

We noticed the ship rocking, but didn't think much of it. However, I do know of people who were horribly seasick a couple of times. I took a Bonine at night just when making the crossings, and I have a history of motion sickness, but honestly didn't suffer any mal de mer. I was surprised when I looked out the windows on Deck 2 and saw how high the swells were sometimes. I guess the stabilizers really work!

We noticed the ship rocking, but didn't think much of it. However, I do know of people who were horribly seasick a couple of times. I took a Bonine at night just when making the crossings, and I have a history of motion sickness, but honestly didn't suffer any mal de mer. I was surprised when I looked out the windows on Deck 2 and saw how high the swells were sometimes. I guess the stabilizers really work!

Thank you for your reply.

Where did you buy your sweaters? We'll be there in February and would love to save some time if I knew where to shop for sweaters.

Thanks for your review - we are getting really excited about our trip.

I bought mine at a store called WoolworX in Akaroa. They are very easy to find, just off the main street with signs pointing the way. They had a very good selection. For what it's worth, I saw the same sweater I bought several days later, at another port, for about $50 NZ more. They shipped it home for me and it was here the day after I got back.

Happy to hear that you had a very nice cruise! I knew you'd be as enchanted with NZ as we were on our cruise there. We didn't do an excursion in Auckland just because it seemed like every other big, ol' city. It's too bad you couldn't visit Christchurch though as that is a very quaint and pretty place.

Thanks for the review, Amy.

Archived