Shareholder credit

cruising teacher

I didn't get it last cruises.(one week ago) Reason given, we got too good of a price on the cruise. Rep said;" as a shareholder, I would want the to company to make money, wouldn't I" I suspect that we were put into a specially discounted group rate. And Yes, we did get an outstanding rate for the cruises.

Anyone else having trouble getting Shareholder Credit? My cruise is not interline, chartered, or complimentary. On board credit is from travel agent not Celebrity. Apparently I paid a low price before it sold out. I am not happy that my request was rejected for no apparent reason.

There has to be some apparent reason. Please tell us the rest of the story. Celebrity just doesn't reject for no apparent reason.

I can't use my Shareholder Credit because I booked my next cruise with a Passages Certificate, but I get $300 OBC for the 15-day cruise using the Passages.

Anyone else having trouble getting Shareholder Credit? My cruise is not interline, chartered, or complimentary. On board credit is from travel agent not Celebrity. Apparently I paid a low price before it sold out. I am not happy that my request was rejected for no apparent reason.

Sometimes travel agents are selling rooms at reduced rates as part of a promotion Celebrity is running through them; when this occurs Shareholder OBC is not permitted. Also sometimes OBC from a travel agent may be from some type of promotion passed on by the cruise line rather than coming from their commission - in that case too the Shareholder OBC may not be used. You may want to check with your travel agent if either of this conditions apply to your booking.

I didn't get it last cruises.(one week ago) Reason given, we got too good of a price on the cruise. Rep said;" as a shareholder, I would want the to company to make money, wouldn't I" I suspect that we were put into a specially discounted group rate. And Yes, we did get an outstanding rate for the cruises.

I booked a last minute cruise on Celebrity last Spring after final payment and got a great reduced rate, and also got the Shareholder OBC. The previous summer I booked a Tuesday Special to Bermuda and also got the OBC.

Maybe your TA gave you a special discounted rate, and that rate amounted to a discount from Celebrity, so no combining Celebrity OBC?

Unfortunately, you just never know if you are eligible or not for the stockholder credit. We apply for every cruise and get it about 51% of the time. I always ask who is actually giving free gratuities and OBC's....but sometimes I get a group rate that won't combine with the stockholder OBC. The reality is there is just no way to know. My suggestion is to always request and if you get it, you have more to spend on board.

No one in stockholder relations should ever say "do you want Celebrity to lose money". Their job is to see if you are eligible or not....and whether celebrity makes or loses money should have nothing to do with their decision.

The email from Celebrity was so generic that I could not understand why my request was rejected. My travel agent was under the impression that I would have no problem getting the credit. That I got a good price on the cruise means that I will never get the credit because I only book good prices! I just wonder if Celebrity is tightening up their requirement for the credit:mad:

The email from Celebrity was so generic that I could not understand why my request was rejected. My travel agent was under the impression that I would have no problem getting the credit. That I got a good price on the cruise means that I will never get the credit because I only book good prices! I just wonder if Celebrity is tightening up their requirement for the credit:mad:

contact stockholder relations and ask for a better explanation. We have gotten the stockholder OBC with Tuesday specials but sometimes our TA has a special deal where it doesn't apply. As I said, there is almost no way to know in advance. A number of folks were caught when they thought they had an OBC provided by AMEX only to find that through some deal with Celebrity, even though they got an AMEX OBC, they weren't eligible for the stockholder OBC.

We have found the same thing. If Celebrity is making the discount, then no OBC will be granted. Sometimes the travel group is offering the Celebrity discount plus one/some of their own but it looks like it all comes from the Travel agency/group.

In the last few years, Celebrity has limited the use of the shareholders' credit, to the point that I have wondered if I shouldn't just cash the shares in and take the profit that way.

Bill

Hi Cruising Teacher,

IMO, if you are denied, they should give you a reason. If they have not, I'd suggest emailing the shareholder benefit team, and ask why you were denied.

I believe that member Gonzo70 shared the best plausible explanation. While you received a very good deal, it's possible that part of the TA's OBC may have been passed along from Celebrity - which would make you ineligible for the shareholder OBC, as it's not combinable.

Another item to consider.... if the above proves to be the case, and if the shareholder OBC is higher, you should have the option of rejecting the TA OBC, and opting for the shareholder OBC. Choose whichever OBC works out more favorable for you.

FWIW, my past experiences with the shareholder team have been excellent. I hope your issue is resolved, or that you receive a satisfactory explanation.

Good luck, and Happy Holidays !

I am waiting for an explanation from from Linda Buchanan. In November I applied for the credit on the November 17 Eclipse. I was not notified that it had been rejected and found out on the ship which is of course too late. It has been my experience that you are notified if it is rejected. This request was also for the Eclipse in January. These sailings are nearly sold out for the season.

I am waiting for an explanation from from Linda Buchanan. In November I applied for the credit on the November 17 Eclipse. I was not notified that it had been rejected and found out on the ship which is of course too late. It has been my experience that you are notified if it is rejected. This request was also for the Eclipse in January. These sailings are nearly sold out for the season.

In my experience, notification of the action taken is sporadic at best. I generally have to phone or write a few times before I find out if it was or wasn't applied. Don't count on them contacting you either way, even if you request it, which I always do.

I must be a rarity, I have always been given shareholders credit though once I had to argue for it. (I'd booked direct as I recall)

That said I haven't ever bought and used a Passages Certificate, but have booked through a TA on a group booking at a great price.

Here's a copy of another happy email... (I love this program, between these credits and being Elite (and a regular person :D:rolleyes: ) Celebrity has me hook, line and sinker. A terrific company and very good to their customer /share holders)

Dear Mr. B-----

Thank you for your email.

The requested shareholders onboard credit has been applied and is confirmed to reservation 48xxxx in the amount of $ 250.00

Kind Regards,

Coupon Redemption Team

Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd.

Ps. I always print out the email (as I also do on CCL) but not once in 1000's of dollars of OBC on both line have I had to show it once on ship. Also, I think I have collected more in OBC than I actually paid for the two stocks RCL and CCL X 100 shares each.

Edited by A Sixth?

I have a question pertaining to this. We got prepaid gratuities from Celebrity. Does this mean we won't be eligible for the shareholder's credit?

If the prepaid gratuities came from celebrity they aren't combinable. If its from your TA, then you should get both. Ask your TA who paid for the free gratuities.

It does seem that Celebrity is reluctant to grant shareholder credit. Too many ambiguous rules, that the intelligent cruiser has difficulty understanding. I agree, a clear and concise reason should be requested, if the shareholder credit is denied.

That being said, we have requested and received shareholder credit 100% of the time from Princess, Azamara, and HAL. 100% cooperation in each & every case. Shereholder credit was added to OBC offered by the cruise line, or the TA. Not an issue at all.

Why the difference? Celebrity needs to make their policies known. Put them in black and white so everyone understands them. They should be totally up front, instead of using smoke & mirriors to confuse the people who purchasee their product.

This might be a little bit off topic, but would someone be able to answer the following questions?

1. How do you apply for Shareholders Credit (I have about 500 shares)

2. How much is it? (I have booked a 14 day cruise to Canada)

3. How much before the cruise do you apply for it?

Thank you in advance

Pat G

Go to rclinvestor.com then click on shareholder benefit. All of your questions can be answered there. Since RCL stopped the combining of OBC offers I found that the share holder benefit was of less value than the 150% gain in the value of my shares, so I sold. Now I can book while on board and get same OBC that I got from my shares, transfer to my TA and get OBC and not have to worry about rejection.:)

When you say 'got' do you mean you prepaid them, or they were given to you as a bonus?

Guess I should choose my words more carefully....Celebrity was offerring a free pre-paid gratuities offer, so we jumped on it. But based upon other postings, it looks like our shareholder's credit will not be applied as the two don't combine. Oh well, was worth a shot. :(