some help with a China decision, please

lori450

We are doing a primarily land-based tour of China next summer. It's 20 days. Beijing, Xi'an, Huangshan, Shanghai, and a couple of other cities. A three day Yangtze River Cruise is included. The ship is an older ship, and an obscure cruise line that only does this. We are supposed to see the three gorges and the locks. I really want to see Datong, but it means that we will have to give up a day in Beijing. I'm thinking of just eliminating the mini cruise and spending that extra time in Beijing (there is so much to see there). I would love some opinions on this decision. Pro or con. I need to make a decision soon and am struggling with it. I have been told that the locks occur at night, so we wouldn't be able to see them anyway. Thanks for your help and info.

The time you go through the locks will vary a bit with traffic, but I think it is generally at night. We started through at 10:30. My DH was asleep by then. I stayed up for one complete lock and then quit.

I did enjoy our cruise, but if I were to do our two week independent tour again, I would spend the three days elsewhere. There was a lot of boring time and it was far, far from a luxury cruise.

If you go to Trip Adviser and look for Yangtze River cruises, you will see a lot of negative feedback about the state of the River. And a lot of positive feedback about Beijing and Datong. You could also consider Yangshuo if you give up the cruise.

thank you all! I will investigate Yangshuo. I had been seeing a lot of mediocre reviews of the cruise and was feeling like it was time better spend elsewhere. We will be in Beijing for 4 days. I had added on a 5th day for free time, but Datong will take that away. There are some super fun sounding tours with Bespoke Beijing that I had wanted to do (e.g. a cricket trainer or a cooking class) and while reading Jen Lin Liu's book, I read that she had a restaurant in Beijing now called Black Sesame Kitchen. I thought it would be fun to go there too. I also understand that the Chinese Opera is something to see even though it can be long. So, with no free time if we added Datong, I was feeling that more Beijing time was needed. Thanks for all your feedback. I am still deciding. I have emailed Catherine Lu in Beijing for her guidance as well, but I am definitely leaning toward dumping the cruise.

Ok, I can chime in on the cruise portion of the proposed trip. (I did a similar trip to China and Tibet last May - fantastic experience - with Odysseys Unlimited. It was my second visit to China.)

IMO, the two main reasons to go on the cruise are the spectacular scenery in the Three Gorges and the opportunity to get out of the cities and see more of the countryside including a visit to a local market and a relocation village.

We were guests in the home of a multi-generational family who had to move (along with the entire village) when the dam was built, and their story was fascinating. There is a documentary about the relocations and a behind the scenes view of the Chinese cruise industry called "Up the Yangtze" in case you are interested.

That said, the cruise was a mixed bag for me. The ship was old, the food not great, and the weather, even worse. But, the experience was, nevertheless, very interesting.

Ok, I can chime in on the cruise portion of the proposed trip. (I did a similar trip to China and Tibet last May - fantastic experience - with Odysseys Unlimited. It was my second visit to China.)

IMO, the two main reasons to go on the cruise are the spectacular scenery in the Three Gorges and the opportunity to get out of the cities and see more of the countryside including a visit to a local market and a relocation village.

We were guests in the home of a multi-generational family who had to move (along with the entire village) when the dam was built, and their story was fascinating. There is a documentary about the relocations and a behind the scenes view of the Chinese cruise industry called "Up the Yangtze" in case you are interested.

That said, the cruise was a mixed bag for me. The ship was old, the food not great, and the weather, even worse. But, the experience was, nevertheless, very interesting.

Thank you Chloe,

Do you know where I csn find the documentary?

thank you all! I will investigate Yangshuo. I had been seeing a lot of mediocre reviews of the cruise and was feeling like it was time better spend elsewhere. We will be in Beijing for 4 days. I had added on a 5th day for free time, but Datong will take that away. There are some super fun sounding tours with Bespoke Beijing that I had wanted to do (e.g. a cricket trainer or a cooking class) and while reading Jen Lin Liu's book, I read that she had a restaurant in Beijing now called Black Sesame Kitchen. I thought it would be fun to go there too. I also understand that the Chinese Opera is something to see even though it can be long. So, with no free time if we added Datong, I was feeling that more Beijing time was needed. Thanks for all your feedback. I am still deciding. I have emailed Catherine Lu in Beijing for her guidance as well, but I am definitely leaning toward dumping the cruise.

We toured China with Viking River Cruises in May 2011, and spent three extra days on our own in Beijing before the tour started. We ate at Black Sesame Kitchen one of those nights, having booked two seats at the Wine 'N Dine month ahead. It was one of the most memorable meals we've ever had and I can't recommend it enough. Book well in advance, and on the day of, get to BSK early to be sure you get seats at the table in the kitchen, so you can watch the cooking, which is a big part of the experience.

As for a river cruise, I can't speak to what it would be like on the boat you would be taking, but I really enjoyed being on the Yangtze and seeing a part of China very *unlike* the big cities, and learning more about all the millions of people displaced by the new Dam, seeing life along the river, seeing the Three Gorges, going through the locks, etc. (We had five nights on the river.)

For three days on the river, though, you might conclude too much flying within China was required. But I wouldn't trade the Chinese Opera for the Yangtze.....:)

We did the Viking Cruise of the river and it was great. I would highly recommend it, but it was a luxury cruise. We went through the locks during the day and it was very interesting. The scenery is amazing especially if you have a chance to go into the lesser gorges.

We did the Viking Cruise of the river and it was great. I would highly recommend it, but it was a luxury cruise. We went through the locks during the day and it was very interesting. The scenery is amazing especially if you have a chance to go into the lesser gorges.

Thank you for the information. I will put a Viking Cruise on our list for our next so-journ to China. unfortunately, the cruise we would be on is less than luxury...I suspect MUCH less than luxury.

• 5 months later...

Just wanted to let you all know that I opted to do both. I have extended our trip to a total of 20 days including travel. We will be in Beijing for 4 days and Datong for two. I have a feeling that we will need the downtime of the cruise, plus, even if it I at night, I do want to experience locks. I can't thank you all enough. CCers are the best people in the world. You are indispensible when planning a trip. thank you all again!!

We are looking into China, and we are looking to do a tour similar to yours.

We'll be back June 30th. I'll come back and write a review. We're doing Beijing, Datong, Huang Shun, X'ian, Tunxi, Yangzte River Cruise and Shanghai. It's just the two of us with a driver and guide in each location. I have also arranged for special cooking classes and wine and dine at Black Sesame Kitchen, a cricket trainer tour, a tea ceremony and an evening at the Opera in addition to the traditional tours and shows that come with the tour. I'll post our spreadsheet too if it's worth it for others to do the same thing. I have also changed the hotels based on Trip Advisor reviews.

Thank you for the recommendation about "Up the Yangzte". It was very interesting.

Just wanted to let you all know that I opted to do both. I have extended our trip to a total of 20 days including travel. We will be in Beijing for 4 days and Datong for two. I have a feeling that we will need the downtime of the cruise, plus, even if it I at night, I do want to experience locks. I can't thank you all enough. CCers are the best people in the world. You are indispensible when planning a trip. thank you all again!!

It was great of you to come back on here and let us know what you're doing, which sounds wonderful (I see your later post too; terrific that you'll be able to experience Black Sesame Kitchen). As for going through the locks at the Three Gorges Dam at night -- we went through in the middle of the night in the pouring rain, and it was awesome!! Maybe even more dramatic than in daylight (locks can be sort of boring after awhile if you know what I mean).

Have a great trip!!! (And a rainsleeve for your camera. :))

ThreeGorgesLocksatNight_zpse0ba57e1.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

It was great of you to come back on here and let us know what you're doing, which sounds wonderful (I see your later post too; terrific that you'll be able to experience Black Sesame Kitchen). As for going through the locks at the Three Gorges Dam at night -- we went through in the middle of the night in the pouring rain, and it was awesome!! Maybe even more dramatic than in daylight (locks can be sort of boring after awhile if you know what I mean).

Have a great trip!!! (And a rainsleeve for your camera. :))

ThreeGorgesLocksatNight_zpse0ba57e1.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

What a great photo. Thanks for the encouragement, I feel much happier about my decision now.

Lori,

I hope you don't mind my question tagging onto your post, but we are planning a very similar trip to yours in early August (19 days), and I am strongly considering wearing/bringing all below the knee skirts (and no pants at all) for myself. I don't care to wear the usual travel "uniform" preferred by most women (capris), so is this a good/practical alternative? I am aware of the toilet situation, and am rather more comfortable with the idea of a skirt. I am also wondering if tank tops with a button down shirt available for covering up is acceptable. I am expecting hotter weather, but being from South Florida, I am accustomed to heat and humidity. Can anyone share their opinion on this matter, please?

Have a great trip, Lori, I am so looking forward to reading all about it.

Laura

Lori,

I hope you don't mind my question tagging onto your post, but we are planning a very similar trip to yours in early August (19 days), and I am strongly considering wearing/bringing all below the knee skirts (and no pants at all) for myself. I don't care to wear the usual travel "uniform" preferred by most women (capris), so is this a good/practical alternative? I am aware of the toilet situation, and am rather more comfortable with the idea of a skirt. I am also wondering if tank tops with a button down shirt available for covering up is acceptable. I am expecting hotter weather, but being from South Florida, I am accustomed to heat and humidity. Can anyone share their opinion on this matter, please?

Have a great trip, Lori, I am so looking forward to reading all about it.

Laura

I would dress for comfort. China is not the Middle East. As a westerner you can get away with wearing basically anything. At the same time, you will stand out and attract attention (especially at tourists sites) no matter what you wear. Of course if you are Asian American both statements will be somewhat less true for you.

Also note Chinese cities are dusty and dirty. You might want to avoid light colors.

DipBrat,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I have some considering. I wear shorter/short shorts or jeans and dresses and skirts at home, so I thought that would be more acceptable to go on the longer side. Wash in the sink and drip to dry was my thought to keep clothes to a minimum. Are there a lot of tourist places with cool or worse, cold air conditioning like in South Florida? I prefer not to have to bring a sweatshirt. I do plan to take a nylon jacket with a hood for rain.

Thanks,

Laura

Archived