A thank you to those who saved my life

It's kind of you to follow up with everyone in this community, as we often see these stories and never know how things turned out. I'm glad to hear that you are on the mend and that your fellow passengers were so helpful during your emergency. It's also helpful to remind all of us that behind every "story" that happens onboard, there is an actual person or people attached and to remind us all to remember that when making comments.

Best wishes for your speedy recovery!

I still think you shouldn't have went on the zip line!

(Kidding) She debunked that rumor in another thread. At this point, she probably can see some humor in the variation of stories that came out and were posted here.

We were on both cruises with you as well and just wanted to add that we are so glad to hear you are ok. Thank you for posting.

We did go up to deck 12 to watch the USCG's rescue. We agreed not to bring our camera, for obvious reasons. But, I have to say, the video was impressive and they were amazing. I can't even begin to imagine what a frightening experience it must have been for you and your husband. I was a little scared just watching, lol.

I was surprised at some of the comments made about altering the itinerary and what was RCI going to do for them, OR how RCI didn't do anything for them. Some were wanting free drinks, free cruise, obc, ect... Really??

I don't know, but, personally, I was very impressed with RCI and the USCG. I would only hope that if someone I loved were to become seriously ill on a ship that the situation would be respected for what it is.

Merry Christmas to you and I wish you a speedy recovery!!

I am the woman who fell ill on the Liberty of the Seas and was emergency evacuated on December 6, 2012 and would like to take this opportunity to thank all who helped save my life.

To everyone from the Captain, Senior Staff, Medical Staff to the crew of the Liberty of the Seas I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your expertise, knowledge, compassion and care. I simply can not put into words how grateful I am for all that you did for not only myself but for my husband.

To the U.S. Coast Guard rescue team who were just doing their job: A fellow passenger posted the helicopter rescue on YouTube. While initially I was disturbed that my rescue was actually posted on the internet, I soon realized that it was to show the world what an amazing job you do. Thank you for what you do each and every day putting your lives at risk to serve our country!

To the two women who donated their blood: As part of the medical records that accompanied me to the hospital, the identification of the blood donators was included. I have struggled back and forth as to whether to contact you to personally but believe you would probably want to remain anonymous. I begged the medical staff to convey my gratitude to you and can only hope they did so. To the numerous passengers that were ready to donate had the need arisen, my heartfelt thanks to you as well.

To my fellow passengers: Thank you all for your prayers and understanding. I was told in the medical facility that the Captain had turned the ship around for my rescue and that the entire ship would miss the next port the following day. You many not believe this, but I was more worried about that than my own condition. No one felt worse that I did that your vacation was altered. Please know that I was cleared by the doctor to travel. I did follow the restrictions he gave me and by no means whatsoever, did I ride a Zip Line while in Haiti.

Again, thank you to everyone to helped, prayed and cared for me in my time of need. I will be forever grateful, God bless you all!

Very nice letter. Maybe you should book the same cruise and complete it. If nothing else, but to get away and relax. You deserve it.

Thanks for your post... certainly glad you are better and posted.

I am curious. I know you were scared.... scared for your health more than anything else... but, were you scared of the actual rescue, etc? Like when they lifted you off the ship? Did they give you any special instructions... like close your eyes, etc? I am just curious because I could see some people going into a panic when being lifted up.

Hope you are able to make a complete recovery soon.... keep cruising.

Thanks for your post... certainly glad you are better and posted.

I am curious. I know you were scared.... scared for your health more than anything else... but, were you scared of the actual rescue, etc? Like when they lifted you off the ship? Did they give you any special instructions... like close your eyes, etc? I am just curious because I could see some people going into a panic when being lifted up.

Hope you are able to make a complete recovery soon.... keep cruising.

I'm really curious about insurance. Was this a specific coverage in your insurance policy? I often see "emergency evacuation" coverage....I'll be more mindful when I see that.

I can imagine not having coversge and coming home to a $250,000 bill!

Glad you are on the mend!

Dawn

I'm really curious about insurance. Was this a specific coverage in your insurance policy? I often see "emergency evacuation" coverage....I'll be more mindful when I see that.

I can imagine not having coversge and coming home to a $250,000 bill!

Glad you are on the mend!

Dawn

I have heard that the coast guard does not charge for flights... maybe she can confirm that.

It's even frightening to read this story, forget about watching the video or even being there live.

Courage has pulled you through that day and to come back here and write about it! Good on you, as well as your gratitude to the whole gang!

Please take care of yourself, its so important since we only live once!

As another poster said..you should definitely redo this cruise to conquer it once and for all!

I am gld you are ok. I am also very curious about insurance. Undoubtedly there were medical bills from the boat as well as from the hospital, which I understand is run by a private Canadian company (for profit). I live in Canada and there have been people with massive bills just from needing medical care/surgery while in Florida and then end up having their insurance declined for stupid reasons. I can't imagine what would happen if I needed to be rescued at sea.

• 3 weeks later...

A guest that was on your sailing waits till 12/31 to post on FB that he was inconvienenced that you were airlifted from the ship and they had to miss Jamaica..

......RCCL is not a fair and just cruise line. They are only out to take your money and run. 17 friends and family went on the Liberty of the Seas 12/3-12/9 to Jamaica costing me over $17,000. We never made it to Jamaica because of a medical emergency with one passenger. The whole trip was planned to have a 50th Bday celebration in Jamaica at a top renowned restaurant. All we requested was a % off another cruise to fill the void. I was told we don’t compensate our passengers. REALLY RCCL....

Really people... Read your contracts. They don't send you 44 pages of information for their own good... Wait, yes they do. Gotta CYA... CoverYourAzz!

Archived