HAL Medallions

woodworker&knitter

Someone with more knowledge of this will step forward, I am sure. But, we have 97 days...and have an upcoming 14 day cruise, so I think we'll get our first medallion this cruise since we will reach the 100 day mark.

100 days = 1st medallion.

100 days = Copper

300 days = Silver

500 days = Gold

700 days = Platinum

These must be actual days on the ship and not include bonus spending days and double for being in a suite. An exception is days spent on a HAL land tour in Alaska. Those days are included.

Someone with more knowledge of this will step forward, I am sure. But, we have 97 days...and have an upcoming 14 day cruise, so I think we'll get our first medallion this cruise since we will reach the 100 day mark.

For the Medallion Program, you will receive the award during the cruise on which you reach the required number of days.

That is unlike the Star Mariner Program where benefits begin on the cruise following the one on which you achieved the new level.

So, yes, Sheila...... You should be getting your Copper Medallion on your next cruise in January. :) Congratulations.

Wish I could be there to see you get it, Sheila. Congratulations!

Copper - 100 days

Silver - 300 days

Gold - 500 days

Platinum - 700 days

We received our bronze medallions on our 42 day Trans Atlantic,

Just so no one gets confused as to where bronze fits in on the list, there is no bronze medallion. The copper medallion is oftimes misnamed as "bronze".

For the Medallion Program, you will receive the award during the cruise on which you reach the required number of days.

That is unlike the Star Mariner Program where benefits begin on the cruise following the one on which you achieved the new level.

So, yes, Sheila...... You should be getting your Copper Medallion on your next cruise in January. :) Congratulations.

You don't always get them during the cruise - we should have gotten ours during our cruise on the Maasdam in 2009 but when we didn't get an invite to the Pre-mariner Lunch party (which is usually where they hand them out) I asked at the front desk and they told us they did not do the medallions any more.:mad::mad: Well when I returned home I contacted HAL and they ended up mailing us ours - not the same as getting them on the ship from the Captain but at least we got them. So - if you are suppose to get your Medallions while on a cruise you should probably notify the front desk at the start of the cruise.

We got a surprise invitation to this ceremony on our last cruise - along with perhaps about 20 others who also got their medallions. We almost overlooked this invite not realizing what it was for, assuming the "medallion" ceremony was still done at the Mariners Luncheon which we saw during our first cruises -- then it disappeared.

It was special and nicely done in the Queens Lounge on the Oosterdam - champagne and hors d'oeuvres and a chance to actually see who was getting this recognition, instead of merely hearing it was going on somewhere else out of sight at the previous Mariner's Luncheons.

We proudly hung them in our cabin and now they grace our travel/map wall.Remembering when we first saw this Medallion ceremony during a Mariners Luncheon, who on earth would actually cruise 100 whole days - wow! And then it happened cruise by cruise ...and every one of those 100 plus days on HAL ships has been wonderful.

You don't always get them during the cruise - we should have gotten ours during our cruise on the Maasdam in 2009 but when we didn't get an invite to the Pre-mariner Lunch party (which is usually where they hand them out) I asked at the front desk and they told us they did not do the medallions any more.:mad::mad: Well when I returned home I contacted HAL and they ended up mailing us ours - not the same as getting them on the ship from the Captain but at least we got them. So - if you are suppose to get your Medallions while on a cruise you should probably notify the front desk at the start of the cruise.

There was a period when the Star program began that the medallion program officially didn't exist. Most likely you got caught in that period. The medallion program was reinstated in parallel to the star program after a lot of complaining to Seattle.

We got a surprise invitation to this ceremony on our last cruise - along with perhaps about 20 others who also got their medallions. We almost overlooked this invite not realizing what it was for, assuming the "medallion" ceremony was still done at the Mariners Luncheon which we saw during our first cruises -- then it disappeared.

It was special and nicely done in the Queens Lounge on the Oosterdam - champagne and hors d'oeuvres and a chance to actually see who was getting this recognition, instead of merely hearing it was going on somewhere else out of sight at the previous Mariner's Luncheons.

We proudly hung them in our cabin and now they grace our travel/map wall.Remembering when we first saw this Medallion ceremony during a Mariners Luncheon, who on earth would actually cruise 100 whole days - wow! And then it happened cruise by cruise ...and every one of those 100 plus days on HAL ships has been wonderful.

I also got my 100 day medallion on my last cruise. I agree that it was a very nice ceremony. I also remember thinking during my early cruises that I would never reach that point.

My Dear Sis should have received her copper medallion during the second week of our collectors cruise last month, as she achieved 106 days in that week. She was told at the front desk that it would be given the next time she cruised. However, at the Mariner's luncheon she was seated with people who had achieved their 100 days during the cruise and had been presented with their copper medallions at the reception just preceding the luncheon. Needless to say she was extremely disappointed! HAL is going to mail her medallion to her. Nice gesture but not the same as having it presented by the captain at the reception.

If you expect to qualify for a medallion I suggest you check with the Mariner Society before your cruise.

I will have 107 days cruising after I finish my next cruise. So should I call Hal or email them before I sail. or can my TA advise them ?

Helen

Personally, I wouldn't do any of the above.

I would double-check my days on the HAL website, to be sure it is correct. If it is, then I would ask at the Front Desk on the ship, to be sure they have your name on the list to receive a medallion.

After all, it's the ship that needs to have the correct information; calling Seattle doesn't guarantee the ship has it.

If the HAL website doesn't have the days correct, then call the Mariners Society in Seattle to get that corrected. And follow through on the ship re: the ceremony.

I did not realize that I would have received a copper medallion at the Mariner's Reception in Crow's Nest several cruises back and didn't go to the reception. A few days later, the medallion was left on my bed.

I honestly don't know if the invitation was silent about the award or if there was something there that I just didn't read. :confused:

Personally, I wouldn't do any of the above.

I would double-check my days on the HAL website, to be sure it is correct. If it is, then I would ask at the Front Desk on the ship, to be sure they have your name on the list to receive a medallion.

After all, it's the ship that needs to have the correct information; calling Seattle doesn't guarantee the ship has it.

If the HAL website doesn't have the days correct, then call the Mariners Society in Seattle to get that corrected. And follow through on the ship re: the ceremony.

I fully agree. Check your Mariner record on the HAL site. Get any corrections made, if necessary.

Early in your cruise, confirm with Front Office that you will be receiving your Medallion.

Congratulations!!!

I think part of the problem lies with the Front Office staff on the ships. On the NA they seemed not to understand the difference between the 4 star Mariner pins and the 100 day Medallions. They also insisted that the medallion would be awarded on the NEXT cruise, not the one where the 100 days was achieved and even there they were inconsistent because some received and some did not. Even the Mariner luncheon invitations were hit or miss.

On our last couple of cruises, we have noticed that some people got their medals on the cruise in which their earned their medals while on another cruise people were told that they would get their medals on their next cruise. A few people we talked to were disappointed.

There should be one set of rules that all the ships should follow.

Archived