Puntarenas excursion help

lallarebecca

Hi!

Soon going on a Panama-canal cruise (Jan 2013) and Puntarenas is a port of call. I´ve been looking at the excursions offered but am not quite sure on what to pick.

Do you have any ideas or recommendations?

I´ll be going with my mother, and we´d like something not too adventurous, even if we are both active and fit, so no zip-lining or kayak´s :)

Also heard there is absolutuely nothing to do in Puntarenas, is that correct?

Thanks in advance!

Hi!

Soon going on a Panama-canal cruise (Jan 2013) and Puntarenas is a port of call. I´ve been looking at the excursions offered but am not quite sure on what to pick.

I´ll be going with my mother, and we´d like something not too adventurous, even if we are both active and fit, so no zip-lining or kayak´s :)

Thanks in advance!

If you would like to stay away from the zip-lining type things that's easy enough to do as there are a lot of sightseeing type tours available. The river cruise on the Tarcoles River will get pretty up close and personal with some hefty crocodiles all in relative comfort and safety. Tours to see the ox cart factory are popular as well as other of the nature/sightseeing tours may be suitable for you.

No, there is not much to do in Puntarenas, it is just a small little town and just the doorway for other activities. You could go swimming near the end of the pier as the locals do, however it is a dark volcanic sand beach without the crystal blue waters that you are more likely to find in the Caribbean.

Edited by BillB48

We have had three port calls in Puntarenas, Costa Rica. Twice we went to the Tarcoles River since my husband is a birder. It was so much fun the first time we had to go again. And as already mentioned the crocodiles are amazing. We also have gone to the Poas Volcano National Park, which was a long day but great fun.

There is a shopping area with little stalls at the end of the pier. A number of folks enjoy just browsing and looking for good deals on coffee.

We have had three port calls in Puntarenas, Costa Rica. Twice we went to the Tarcoles River since my husband is a birder. It was so much fun the first time we had to go again. And as already mentioned the crocodiles are amazing. We also have gone to the Poas Volcano National Park, which was a long day but great fun.

There is a shopping area with little stalls at the end of the pier. A number of folks enjoy just browsing and looking for good deals on coffee.

The mention of coffee makes me think of the market about five blocks from the pier. Very good selection and much better price than the stalls near the pier.

The mention of coffee makes me think of the market about five blocks from the pier. Very good selection and much better price than the stalls near the pier.

HOWEVER, what you get in the market is the stuff Costa Rican's buy, not necessarily export quality. There is a old gringo guy, like me, who gets coffee in TARAZZU, which is 5,000 feet, the best Arabica coffee in Costa Rica and roasts it the day before the ship comes in and sells it at the pier. I GROW COFFEE in Panama, but when I'm in Puntarenas my wife always has me bring back some - it's that good. It's called SHADE LADY - NOT "Shady Lady" - that's another business in Costa Rica, not one I recommend, and where you may get a lot more than you bargained for! SHADE LADY Tarazzu coffee - it's great and it isn't in the supermarket. The other option is that most ships have a tie in with Cafe Britt - you order on the ship, and of course the ship makes a few cents, but it is a lot cheaper than what you'll find in the States or in Canada. They sell the Tarazzu coffee and they INCLUDE delivery to your home in US or Canada, and you can reorder at the same price on line. Really a good deal all the way around.

Enjoy! Happy Holidays! Regards, Richard

Hi!

Thanks in advance!

We were just there 12/9/12 on the Coral Princess. I think you and your mother would love the 6 in 1 tour with Gio Day Tours. I can't say enough good things about them, especially if you get Olman Quiros (Oli) as the guide. Go to http://www.giotours.com/index.html to make a reservation for the Costa Rica Highlights tour. Don't even have to put a deposit down. Pay at the end of the tour. They earn a good tip so be prepared to give them 10 - 15%. Puntarenas itself is just a working fishing village that is a doorway to Costa Rica with some nice shopping stalls set up at the end of the pier. Check Gio's reviews on Trip Advisor. I think you will be pleased.

• 9 months later...
HOWEVER, what you get in the market is the stuff Costa Rican's buy, not necessarily export quality. There is a old gringo guy, like me, who gets coffee in TARAZZU, which is 5,000 feet, the best Arabica coffee in Costa Rica and roasts it the day before the ship comes in and sells it at the pier. I GROW COFFEE in Panama, but when I'm in Puntarenas my wife always has me bring back some - it's that good. It's called SHADE LADY - NOT "Shady Lady" - that's another business in Costa Rica, not one I recommend, and where you may get a lot more than you bargained for! SHADE LADY Tarazzu coffee - it's great and it isn't in the supermarket. Regards, Richard

Hi Richard,

We just returned from a Panama Canal cruise that had stopped in Puntarenas. We got some of the coffee. I regret not bringing back more. It is excellent!

I had with me a copy of your post and even showed it to him. He did not like to be called 'Old Gringo Guy' LOL

Thanks for the tip!

Gisela

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Richard,

We just returned from a Panama Canal cruise that had stopped in Puntarenas. We got some of the coffee. I regret not bringing back more. It is excellent!

I had with me a copy of your post and even showed it to him. He did not like to be called 'Old Gringo Guy' LOL

Thanks for the tip!

Gisela

Nice tip, can you be a bit more specific about who this vendor is, what he looks like and/or where he is located?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

We are going on the Island Princess in a month through the Panama and stopping at Puntarenas. We have done rainforest and river excursions in other places and thought that we might do a tour to Doka coffee plantation.

Anyone been at this plantation?

There is also an alternative tour to San Jose and Sarchi. Anyone recommend these towns as worth exploring?

Many thanks.

Ian and Amy Moore

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the tip!

Gisela

So is it okay to bring ground coffee through US customs? I frequently hear of people bringing food items into the US ports, but I'm never sure what's okay and not, but I'd love to bring back coffee.

Edited by kathynorth

So is it okay to bring ground coffee through US customs? I frequently hear of people bringing food items into the US ports, but I'm never sure what's okay and not, but I'd love to bring back coffee.

Coffee, and even whole coffee beans are fine to bring back. Coffee is shipped all over the world, with very few restrictions. :)