Minibar charges on Explorer

gfcacc

There are too many overcharges for mini bar items for the cruise line not to know about what is happening.

The people who inventory the mini bars are obviously padding the bill. There are too many overcharges for this to be accidental.

How many customers complain about mini bar overcharges and get the charges removed?

How many customers are unhappy about the overcharges? I would guess lots of customers are unhappy about it and I’ll bet lots of them say so.

How long would the mini bar guy have his job with all these overcharges and upset customers if the cruise line didn’t approve of the overcharging?

I believe it's just another cruise line shakedown.

There are too many overcharges for mini bar items for the cruise line not to know about what is happening.

The people who inventory the mini bars are obviously padding the bill. There are too many overcharges for this to be accidental.

How many customers complain about mini bar overcharges and get the charges removed?

How many customers are unhappy about the overcharges? I would guess lots of customers are unhappy about it and I’ll bet lots of them say so.

How long would the mini bar guy have his job with all these overcharges and upset customers if the cruise line didn’t approve of the overcharging?

I believe it's just another cruise line shakedown.

There are lots of mistakes made, same thing at hotels, it only seems like an overcharge conspiracy because no one comes here to complain about their minibar undercharges.

I just called RCI and had my $19.32 credited back to my card. The rep came up with saying minibars were checked at around 10:00 am on departure day.....My bill as of 3:10 AM departure day was correct. Also stated on the final bill, "inquiries regarding this statement be completed at the guest relations desk prior to 8:30 am departure morning." If there had been a problem on my final bill, I would have settled it at guest relations, but it was right.

Another note, after having a stomach virus and being confined to the cabin, (minibar items are complementary) we were charged $22.71 and $31.80, and those charges were removed. Now, the strange part of this is......all we had was 3 bottles of water and 4 canned sodas. I also questioned the rep about this. She said the bottles of water are $4.95 and sodas $1.90. I told her then, our three bottles of water were apparently charged at $10 per bottle and cokes at $5 a can. She couldn't explain that one. Think next cruise, I'll find out the name and country of the minibar checker each time I see them entering my cabin. Something really needs to be done about all these charges. I also asked the rep if they are getting many calls on the overcharges. She said not hundreds....(is that daily??):rolleyes: I also told the rep that this was my 59th cruise, seventh this year, and I have been charged several times recently after getting home. She said sometimes it takes two or three days for the charges to show up.......

Now, we'll check our cc card statement for the next five days to make sure the amount has been removed.

Happy cruising!

Its no mistake, its a scam.

If it was a mistake, the mini bar person would be fired for incompetence.

If the cruise line wanted to fix it, they would leave a note in your cabin offering to fill your empty fridge. If you said no, they wouldn’t put anything in the fridge.

Think of the money the cruise line would save by not having to send someone around every day checking mini bars that people have no intention of using.

Come on folks…. It’s a little scam.

There are lots of mistakes made, same thing at hotels, it only seems like an overcharge conspiracy because no one comes here to complain about their minibar undercharges.

I've had a lot more hotels/resorts nights than on cruises in my lifetime and I have NEVER had an issue with mini-bar under/overcharges after checking out and receiving a final statement.

I have NEVER read a posting of anyone being undercharged. If it has happened, they've either "had a good day" or settled it with no problems.

If the cruise line wanted to fix it, they would leave a note in your cabin offering to fill your empty fridge. If you said no, they wouldn’t put anything in the fridge.

Think of the money the cruise line would save by not having to send someone around every day checking mini bars that people have no intention of using.

Come on folks…. It’s a little scam.

I repeat, think of the money they make with overcharges of minor amounts people either don't go after for a refund or don't notice when they have a large bill.

I can understand why they want to keep it stocked--looking for "impulse" purchases from people who don't want to leave their cabin for some reason.

When someone has gone after a minor refund, it appears that it was removed without any problems. That says something to me. Like "Darn, they caught it" rather than "It's just a few dollars, better a happy customer than to quibble over a few dollars."

Tucker in Texas

Guest maddycat
Exactly, we do the same thing every cruise. Then no one coming in to constantly check the mini bar on the cruise as well.:D

Don't be so sure. On my last cruise I asked the cabin steward to empty the mini bar just as I do on all of our cruises. She said that she would have the bar person do it so that I would not be charged for anything. The mini bar was emptied on the second day of the cruise. Later in the week a bar person was entering my cabin to check the mini bar. When he saw me he said that he forgot that my mini bar had been emptied. I really wasn't comfortable with anyone other than the cabin steward having access to our cabin.

Don't be so sure. On my last cruise I asked the cabin steward to empty the mini bar just as I do on all of our cruises. She said that she would have the bar person do it so that I would not be charged for anything. The mini bar was emptied on the second day of the cruise. Later in the week a bar person was entering my cabin to check the mini bar. When he saw me he said that he forgot that my mini bar had been emptied. I really wasn't comfortable with anyone other than the cabin steward having access to our cabin.

I actually dislike it also. I feel the less people in and out of the cabin the better and at least you know who the steward is. Also, if the steward is taking care of everything then you only have to communicate with one person and don't have to worry about messages making it to a bar person.

Its hard sometimes not to grab something out of the mini bar the only times ive grabbed a water a few times only because we were in a rush to get to our travel excursion. so ive never had that problem, But I agree some people say its only $6 sure, It's the principle of the $6

:rolleyes:

Yes, we found they took some time to remember it was empty.

Even had a charge to our account when it was empty. The reason was the wrong cabin number was written down, we were told.........

My husband and I were on the Liberty 11/24-11/29 and received on final bill on the last day. There was a charge from the day before that was fraudulant. It was on my card for a drink from the Pool Bar and I don't even drink. I went to Guest Relations to contest it and she took it off. I wondered how it got there. My card was not out of my possession.

My husband and I were on the Liberty 11/24-11/29 and received on final bill on the last day. There was a charge from the day before that was fraudulant. It was on my card for a drink from the Pool Bar and I don't even drink. I went to Guest Relations to contest it and she took it off. I wondered how it got there. My card was not out of my possession.

I don't know if they do this any longer, but in the past servers on the pool deck would write down your folio number on your drink order form and hand you back your card. All they had to do was make a mistake such as transpose a number and the bill would end up on another account. I'm not sure if they take your card to be swiped now or not. I don't like ordering from roving servers.

• 2 months later...
Here is the number to the Post Cruise Customer Service 1-800-256-6649. Give them a call and explain your situation. Have your booking number handy as they will ask for it or your folio number which is on your SeaPass card.

This is an old thread, but I just wanted to say Thank-You.... When I checked my credit card charges after my last Freedom cruise in February, I saw that they charged $9.78 extra. I called the number you posted and found out that the additional charge was for the mini-bar on the day we left the ship. After 'politely' telling him that we never take anything out of the fridge, he put through a credit for the over-charge.

BTW, I asked if I could just have them remove ALL the items in the fridge to avoid this problem in the future. He told me that we could do that, no problem. We will be doing that in the future.

This is an old thread, but I just wanted to say Thank-You.... When I checked my credit card charges after my last Freedom cruise in February, I saw that they charged $9.78 extra. I called the number you posted and found out that the additional charge was for the mini-bar on the day we left the ship. After 'politely' telling him that we never take anything out of the fridge, he put through a credit for the over-charge.

BTW, I asked if I could just have them remove ALL the items in the fridge to avoid this problem in the future. He told me that we could do that, no problem. We will be doing that in the future.

You are welcome and glad that they were able to resolve discrepancy in charges.

What we do is we remove the items in the cooler and put them in a cabinet. I then make a sign and tape it to the front of the cooler telling them where I put their items.

I cannot WAIT to see if my parents get a minibar charge. We were first billed $16 one morning when not one thing was touched. I called and complained and they credited it. The next morning we were charged $6 when not one thing was touched. I again called and complained and it was taken care of. I left a note in the minibar telling them I've had to complain twice and to stop billing me for things that were not taken. I then waited in my room until the girl (it was the same girl both other times) came and told her that I have had to twice call guest services to get the charges that were incorrectly put there off my account. I asked her name and asked her to show me how she is checking my minibar and adding charges when nothing was moved. She was very snotty and checked the minibar, threw my note away and left. I called the desk and complained about her and her erroneous charging AND attitude when corrected by me, the person that has been cleaning up her mess of mistakes for the past two days. I work in the hospitality industry and if one of my people pulled an attitude like that with a member I'd write them up.

I had a cash account on board. On the last day I owed 59 cents and received a note saying I would not be able to leave the ship until I went to the desk to pay it. :p I swear if I get a charge on my parents bill after the cruise for the minibar I will go crazy!

Lucky Princess, please keep us apprised of the mini bar charges, I thought all of this had long been corrected. Have had this happen numerous times on all lines :rolleyes: Its past time for the cruise lines to get a hold on this problem.

Thank you

I never use anything from the minibar so I always have my room steward remove everything when I first get on board so there's no question what was or wasn't used.

Only thing with us is that when we ask our cabin attendant to remove all items from the mini-bar we are told that they have to place them in a drawer or on top of the cabinet. They are never completely removed from the stateroom.

Archived