Pull the kids out of school, or no?

KPfromCT

I think it will be really hard for a straight A student in 8th grade to make up a week of missed work. I'm assuming she's in the advanced classes which probably give tons of homework. It will be really difficult. I was a straight A student, and occasionally I missed school for a few days due to a vacation or sickness, and it was tough to make up all the work while also completing the current work once I returned to school.

They will get as much or more education on a cruise and it will be a lifetime experience for them!

Any parent can decide to pull kids out, but please never impart the attitude that you can't learn anything valuable in a book, or in school. I'm sorry, but teachers today have a hard enough time trying to teach your kids without having to fight the attitude that you learn more on a cruise (please, in ALL honesty, how many of you are actually teaching your kids anything on a cruise), than you can ever learn that week in school.

Wow, all of these excellent 4.0 students! I wish that they were all in my class. :D Seriously though, as a parent do what you think is appropriate. I teach an AP level class and all of my assignments are online and a student could certainly keep up on their own. One thing to keep in mind though, if I give a test on Friday and your student is on a cruise and misses the test, I expect them to make that test up on Monday when they come back, in addition to turning in all of the work due for that chapter.

This might seem a little hard hearted but the other students would like to get their tests back in a timely manner so that we can go over them and then move on the next part of our curriculum. I don't think that I should spend approx. three hours of my own time to write a makeup test for your child because they were on vacation. :cool:

(Emphasis mine)

But that's the point. A dedicated student (dedicated not necessarily straight A or AP) will make up the work and do whatever else is required. A poor or struggling student probably won't.

I think travel is a great education. However- I don't agree that a Caribbean cruise is all that educational. At least in the classic sense. Yes- swimming with the dolphins, zip lining and gathering sea shells are great family fun- but I find if difficult to believe that these pursuits can't be achieved during school holidays.

If your school supports your decision to travel and will help the child to make up the work- that's ideal. In my area the teachers are so overburdened that even when kids are sick- they don't put together the missed work. In middle school it is especially difficult. My son did not do well when he missed a week of school with bronchitis. He missed valuable building blocks in Spanish and in Math. The teachers are not likely to help with the missed work or spend any extra time with a student after absences.

I really don't think it is fair to put the kids in this position. I'm sure in the planning stages they are thrilled to go on vacation- who wouldn't be? However, they are children and aren't able to project into the future and what an absence might mean to their grades. If a child is really into school and their attendance- why destroy that? I think that is great.

Any parent can decide to pull kids out, but please never impart the attitude that you can't learn anything valuable in a book, or in school. I'm sorry, but teachers today have a hard enough time trying to teach your kids without having to fight the attitude that you learn more on a cruise (please, in ALL honesty, how many of you are actually teaching your kids anything on a cruise), than you can ever learn that week in school.

Teachers do have a hard time teaching a large number of children, all with different backgrounds and learning styles. But, they consider me an involved parent with easy to teach children. They encourage our trip plans and have told me my children will learn more from their travel. They know I will make sure the kids make up the work, and they won't have trouble catching up. Otherwise, I wouldn't take them. It helps that I still understand what my middle schooler is learning and enjoy teaching, so he won't need extra instruction from teachers.

I would never tell my kids you can't learn anything from books or school. My kids and I love books. But real-life experiences enhance what we learn in books or school. I've been teaching my children from books and the internet about the countries and communities we're visiting, but the trip will make things come alive. In Belize, they will see wildlife, Mayan ruins, and a glimpse of a different community. In Roatan, we'll have a private tour that will include a grocery store, orphanage, and local sites of historic and cultural interest. Any family travel widens children's horizons and strengthens family bonds. It also builds confidence and lets them practice being outside their comfort zone, which are things that don't come easy to my kids. We couldn't afford to cruise during school breaks and are spending our next summer vacation visiting national parks.

I think travel is a great education. However- I don't agree that a Caribbean cruise is all that educational. At least in the classic sense. Yes- swimming with the dolphins, zip lining and gathering sea shells are great family fun- but I find if difficult to believe that these pursuits can't be achieved during school holidays.

If your school supports your decision to travel and will help the child to make up the work- that's ideal. In my area the teachers are so overburdened that even when kids are sick- they don't put together the missed work. In middle school it is especially difficult. My son did not do well when he missed a week of school with bronchitis. He missed valuable building blocks in Spanish and in Math. The teachers are not likely to help with the missed work or spend any extra time with a student after absences.

I really don't think it is fair to put the kids in this position. I'm sure in the planning stages they are thrilled to go on vacation- who wouldn't be? However, they are children and aren't able to project into the future and what an absence might mean to their grades. If a child is really into school and their attendance- why destroy that? I think that is great.

It really depends on what you do with that week. I took three teens on a cruise and although a hurricane foiled some of our plans, visiting Mayan Ruins in Bleize, visiting with locals in Roatan, learning some new words and phrases in Spanish in Mexico that are actually relevant, is all educational. Yes if you lay on a beach or stay on the ship the whole time it wouldn't be very educational, but I , for one, always find education in every trip we take.

I also have an 8th grade daughter with straight As, and she would probably freak if I even suggested taking her out of school for a week! She's in advanced classes, and keeping up with all the work is hard enough as it is. Plus, Track season starts in April. At most, I'd take her out for a day in order to fly out a day early, but not for a whole week. It wouldn't be any fun anyway, because she'd be so stressed about what she was missing that she'd make my life miserable.

As someone else said, I agree that a Caribbean cruise isn't really that "educational". Alaska or Europe, maybe, but not the Caribbean. I really don't think I could justify it as educational enough to pull my kids out of school for it.

I'm a minoirty position on this one...

Like another poster I'd take kids out for unique situations, vacations are not one of them.

Has nothing to do with my assessment of kids performance, attendence, grades etc. etc. All about the principle and putting emphasis on the right thing. This being a vacation site I can guess 95% believe that vacation/family time is something worth compromising school time to save a few $. But the thing missing is by doing that what do you say you value more. Find it hard to believe between all the vacation time kids have one can't find good quality time with family, maybe not on cruise etc. but there is more to family time than an out of house vacation.. Probably the funniest excuse is the educational aspects... over value / sacrifice and schedule to do it around your prorities

Putting my flame suit on :D

My kid is in 8th grade, and he's legally blind.

We've pulled him out of school for various things, including vacation. Although, we're in New Jersey and we try to take advantage of "Jersey Week" when the teacher's Union has their convention... It occurs on the same week as election day, so he misses two half-days of school that week.

But in the past, we've pulled him out for a week of SCIVIS (Space Camp for Interested Visually Impaired Students) in Huntsville Alabama. Last year, we pulled him for a week for the National Federation of the Blind's LAW program, where he spent a week in Washington DC learning to advocate for himself... meeting with our Congressman and learning how bills are passed into law.

532684_3669191577552_1042084642_n.jpg

So, I agree with some other posters here that make the assertion that ONE week of missed school is NOT going to make or break your child's primary and secondary school career.

I feel a family vacation is very important. Everybody's family situation is unique, and some people can't do what others are capable of. I'm taking the kids to China in 2013. It was an extremely affordable deal we were able to take advantage of that occurred on their Spring Break. They will miss 3 days of school since the trip will take a total of 10 days and the break is 7.

I have never been to China. They have never been to China. Am I going to forgo that opportunity because they'll miss 3 days of school? Would you?

I'm with you..I wouldn't do it either. And I also disagree that they will get a by far greater education on a cruise (as one person put it) seeing other countries. Not sure how laying on a beach in the Carribean is an education or that watching basket weaving in the Bahamas adds that much more to an education. I would feel differently if the child were living and studying for an extended period of time in another country as an exachange student, etc. I would also honor my child's opinion and I think it's admirable if a child wants to have a 100% attendance record..too bad the parents don't.

Would be ineterested in hearing what some teachers think about this.

I guess I will side the opposite of most here. We never pulled our kids from school. My DS is in the top 2% of his school and is a senior. He would never want to be pulled. He would obviously be able to make up the work. To him , school is more important and we can go during the summer. He has never been absent in high school, ever. I believe he has been out of school a total of 3 days in his entire school career (kindergarten - 12th grade)

It's my opinion that it's school first. We work our vacations around that and we go where we can afford when they are out of school.

the part I would concentrate on is her words herself

If she was hoping for perfect attendance, she should be allowed to do what she is hoping for.

I guess I'm just old fashioned, but I believe kids should be in school when they're supposed to be. It seems a lot of parents want to cruise when it's least expensive. They want to save money, and to me, that just sends the message to their kids that saving money on a cruise is more important than them being in school. IMO, it shows the parents don't really place a high value on education in the first place. I agree with the other poster who stated that kids already have enough time out of school to vacation, cruise and spend time with the family. Those who think cruising the Caribbean is educational are just fooling themselves.

We also have always taken our kids out of school for vacation (cruises x 4 and Disney World x 2). We do, however, limit those to 1 time a year. We have never had any problems. They have always made up their work and are always on the honor roll.

Is lying on a beach in the Caribbean educational? No. But is visiting other countries and seeing places most of their peers may never see invaluable experience? Yes. Just my humble opinion, of course.

We have always: planned ahead. Communicated with teachers. And we also spend time during the airport wait time, during the flight, and at some points during the week doing homework and studying. The teachers send work with us, and I am more than happy to do this work with them. We read books. Work on reports if needed. Fill out workbooks about places we go and things they see. Whatever needs to be done to keep them caught up.

I would, however, take into account several factors before making the decision. Does the child want to be taken out of school? Does the school allow pre-excused absences? Does the child have difficulty making up work after missing school? Has the child been ill and had to miss a lot of school because of this or other reasons?

In the end, it is up to you and your family to decide if taking your child out of school is the best decision for you. I have NO PROBLEM taking my kids out of school for a vacation that will create memories that last a lifetime. And wouldn't it be a huge bummer if you didn't go on a trip because of trying for perfect attendance, but your child ends up falling short of perfect attendance for another reason?

Ultimately, however, it is up to you. And I wouldn't let anyone else's opinion sway your decision.

Good luck!

(Incidentally, I am taking my daughters, who will be in grades 5 and 6, out of school next September for an 8 night cruise on Carnival Breeze!) :cool:

Only you know your kids and your schools. Personally we did take our kids out for up to 3 days, but stopped or limited to 1 day once the oldest was in middle school. Our DD was fine with it and would make up any and all work before getting back, but DS was a different story all together. However, once DD got into high school, she asked us to not even take her out for 1 day as she was in AP and honors classes and was afraid of what she would miss. She did phenomenal in college, beating out a lot of the "top of their class" students and graduated with honors. She is now in graduate school and flourishing, still not wanting to take off any extra time. On the other hand DS would take off any days offered and suffer the consequences. He is a senior in HS this year and hasn't had the option for years now.

To the OP, listen to your kids, your gut and talk to your school to see what will work best for you and your family. Nobody on this board can tell you what is right for you!

I say go for it!!! But for our family up until two years ago, we have always had to pull the kids out in spring to go on vacation due to my hubby's business in logging. We always had to wait until April for the bush to shut down. It's only been the last two years, we've been able to go for March Break as he now has some very reliable/dependable help to look after things in March so we can go. We had always got their work ahead of time and they always had it completed before we even left.

This year is a little different. Our daughter is in grade 9 (first year in high school) and our son is in grade 6 fine arts program. We are booked on a 10 day cruise March 7th to 17th but we are actually leaving town later in the day on the 4th, so they will miss four days before our march break in ontario. I am a little nervous for both of them but I will be communicating soon with their teachers about what to prepare for before or after.

I am one of those that believes as others do that the kids see so much when they are visiting different islands. and also for us, most importantly , it is much needed family time and no one can ever take that away from you.

Good luck on your decision!! :)

Kathy

I'm a minoirty position on this one...

Like another poster I'd take kids out for unique situations, vacations are not one of them.

Has nothing to do with my assessment of kids performance, attendence, grades etc. etc. All about the principle and putting emphasis on the right thing. This being a vacation site I can guess 95% believe that vacation/family time is something worth compromising school time to save a few $. But the thing missing is by doing that what do you say you value more. Find it hard to believe between all the vacation time kids have one can't find good quality time with family, maybe not on cruise etc. but there is more to family time than an out of house vacation.. Probably the funniest excuse is the educational aspects... over value / sacrifice and schedule to do it around your prorities

Putting my flame suit on :D

Yes, I do value family time and real-life experiences, but anyone who knew my family would laugh at the idea that we don't put enough emphasis on education and hard work. :) Vacations give our life a little balance. Our two school-aged children receive the highest grades in every subject, just as we did when we were in school. I have to tell my dd that it's okay to make mistakes sometimes. My dh can only relax and focus on family when we're on vacation far from his two jobs, which often consume evenings and weekends, especially in the summer. Yes, we could figure out a time to cruise when they're out of school and dh doesn't have to work, if you want to send us an extra $3,000. We'd rather not waste the money because we have three children to send to college and, yes, we have future travel plans.

Someone asked what teachers have to say -- so far we have received no negative comments and several teachers have directly said that travel was more beneficial for our kids than a few days in school. Many schools have stopped recognizing perfect attendance because it only encourages good students to attend when they're sick and contagious.

Another point of view. I a teacher and a mother so I see both sides of this. My opinion of pulling kids out of school for family trips changed after my first student teaching assignment. It was right after Christmas break when one of the mothers said she would be pulling her child out two weeks later. I asked the cooperating teacher I was working with if this bothered her, she said it used to until she was teaching first grade and a mother came to her a week after a vacation to say they were taking their daughter the next week to Disneyworld. The girl came back not feeling well

and one week later was diagnosed with leukemia, six weeks later she was gone. The teacher said that her parents kept saying how glad they were some of their last memories of her were happy family times and that from then on she would always be glad when people have the opportunity for family time even if it didn't fit her or the schools schedule

I would pull them out in one second. they will learn more going to different countries hands on then in any book. The experience is rewarding and educational. Wouldn't think twice.

Totally agree!!

If they're out of school, maybe you could encourage them to do a 'journal' or book report (trip report) style on the ports you visit and their culture/language/currency, etc. That would teach them much more than they'd learn sitting in a desk for the week (or two) they miss anyways!

Have fun :)

Totally agree!!

If they're out of school, maybe you could encourage them to do a 'journal' or book report (trip report) style on the ports you visit and their culture/language/currency, etc. That would teach them much more than they'd learn sitting in a desk for the week (or two) they miss anyways!

Wow, missing two weeks of school would be equal to a book report and a journal? That doesn't speak too highly of the Canadian school system :cool:

I believe that you only live once and you can see from my signature that we whole-heartedly agree that travel is a fun, valuable experience.

The one thing I don't agree with (and I've heard all the excuses) is that you can't go to school AND have family vacations.

For example- the kids are off frequently for long weekends, holidays and summers. I find it difficult to believe that two intelligent caring parents- can't figure out a way to travel as a family during these breaks. Sorry but the money issue is moot. I've traveled with two kids for the past 25 years and I've always found deals.

The fact is- you have a budget (everyone does). So you work within your budget. Kids don't care where they go- parents do. Kids are resilient and love a vacation no matter where you decide to go. So it isn't for the kids that people travel- it's for yourself. I'm in the same boat so I know. I like to travel and need a break from time to time- that's what it's about.

If you have to take the kids out to travel- maybe do the sensible thing and go without the kids.

The fact is- you have a budget (everyone does). So you work within your budget. Kids don't care where they go- parents do. Kids are resilient and love a vacation no matter where you decide to go. So it isn't for the kids that people travel- it's for yourself. I'm in the same boat so I know. I like to travel and need a break from time to time- that's what it's about.

^^ Like!!

Yes, I do value family time and real-life experiences, but anyone who knew my family would laugh at the idea that we don't put enough emphasis on education and hard work. :) Vacations give our life a little balance. Our two school-aged children receive the highest grades in every subject, just as we did when we were in school. I have to tell my dd that it's okay to make mistakes sometimes. My dh can only relax and focus on family when we're on vacation far from his two jobs, which often consume evenings and weekends, especially in the summer. Yes, we could figure out a time to cruise when they're out of school and dh doesn't have to work, if you want to send us an extra $3,000. We'd rather not waste the money because we have three children to send to college and, yes, we have future travel plans.

Someone asked what teachers have to say -- so far we have received no negative comments and several teachers have directly said that travel was more beneficial for our kids than a few days in school. Many schools have stopped recognizing perfect attendance because it only encourages good students to attend when they're sick and contagious.

Some posters on here live in a fantasy black and white world where time in school = the only relavant education for all children, all schools have strict policies and do not excuse vacations, and all parents have the flexibilty and budget to travel during school breaks.

I don't live in that black and white fantasy world. I live in a colorful real world. In the real world, some children are able and willing learn the lessons taught outside of the class room and some can not. In the real world, some schools systems excuse vacations and even encourage and support them and some do not. In the real world, some parents have the flexibility in their work schedules to take vacations during school breaks and some do not. In the real world, some parents have money to travel whenever they want and some do not.

My point is that every child, every family, and every school system are not the same. Each parent needs to make their family decisions based on their circumstances. Chipmaster will say that it has to do with values and that if you value education then you will make sure child is sitting in a classroom and not on vacation during the school year. I say that sitting in a classroom itself does not equate to an education. IMHO learning the material for the class equals education and if a child can learn the material outside of the classroom then education is still valued. Not all children learn the same way. Some posters can not comprehend that in their fantasy black and white world.

To the OP- the way to solve your dilema... is to sail out of NYC instead of Florida. This way you can drive to the ship. There are many cruise options in April from NYC. I've done them myself (Carnival, Celebrity and QM2). There is also Norwegian.

Sailing in and out of NYC is spectacular. If you do one from Manhattan you go under the bridges and right by the Statue. It's magical.

that's really sad. maybe new teachers are needed. i cannot imagine a teacher not wanting to help out a sick child. that's awful and shame on the teacher(s).

Ok, I am not a teacher.

I am a high school counselor at a magnet high school in Louisiana.

And while I agree that a vacation will be a memorable experience for you and your family, I really wish that you would keep in mind that your child is only expected to be in school for 180 days. Less than half of a year. There's fall break, Thanksgiving break, Christmas & New Years Break, Spring Break, and various 3 and 4 day weekends scattered throughout the school calendar.

I agree with Chip and Sublime and previous posters... When you take the kids out of school for random vacations, it sends a message that school is not as important as Disney, cruises, skiing, etc.

I'm not sure how your schools work, but my students are STRESSED if they miss one day, and they are completely overwhelmed if they miss three days. I have to arrange extra help sessions and schedule make-up tests and quizzes on a separate calendar for them. If you can make up an entire weeks worth of work while waiting in an airport? You might want to check to see what level of work that school is putting out for their students! That's embarrassing. Unless it's an average elementary school, I guess.

You are the parent... You're going to do whatever it is you want to do, that's for sure. But if you want your school to bend over backwards with advance assignments, extra help before and after school with concepts missed while on vacation, or even extended time for assignments or tests missed? I'd like to recommend HOME SCHOOLING. Then, your child can learn whatever they want, whenever they want, and you aren't putting any extra expectations on 6, 7, 8 teachers that may have up to 150 other students to plan, test, and grade... who came to school and took the test on the day that she planned for them to take it. I will make arrangements for students who are ill... that is unfortunate and unplanned. BUT... when you tell me that your DD or DS won't be in school the week of final exams because the cruise was cheaper that week? Sorry. This is a PUBLIC school. You knew the calendar before you enrolled your child, and if you didn't want to follow it there are many other educational choices that you could have made.

And bringing in fake medical excuses? Really? That's a FANTASTIC moral lesson to teach your child. Keep up the good work!

Totally agree!!

No, it won't. This kind of thinking denigrates and insults teachers and the hard work they do. Yes, travel (even a Caribbean cruise, which is in no way a fully "cultural" or "educational" experience) will give them many good things and have some learning benefit, including the importance of family time. But it will not, it cannot fully encompass everything that they are learning in school, period. Go ahead and say travel is educational because it is. But do not ever believe that it will "teach" them more than they would learn in school. If you think that, why not just pull your kids from school entirely and let travel educate them for their future lives?

Yes, I feel strongly about this. My parents were both teachers, my brother is a teacher, my grandmother was a high school science teacher when women were barely getting BS and Education degrees at all, and I taught elementary school for 3 years until I bailed for double the salary (just to start) in the private sector. No one goes into teaching for the money. They used to at least be able to count on respect, but now they barely/rarely get that. I mean after all, they're only helping prepare our most valuable "commodity" for the future.

One final note, my mother always encouraged parents when they took their children out of school for reasonable periods of time, when the child was doing well and would be able to work mostly independently to make up lost lessons, and when there were no critical tests (such as high school placement) during that time. She spent extra hours and effort making packets of work in advance, helping afterward, and so forth. She also insisted that the student keep a journal (to be given to her) and do a presentation in class about the trip. In my family, we are not so rigid as to think classrooms are the only place to be educated. Far from it. But it really irks me when people have the attitude that it doesn't matter at all.

In this case, I'd like to think that the parents will ultimately listen to their child and put her well being ahead of any other consideration.

beachchick

p.s., In the interest of full disclosure, we did pull our daughter out of school a couple of days early a few times (e.g., to extend Thanksgiving weekend to a week). But not after she was a junior in high school and only when we knew she would be able to make up the school time missed.

Archived