Motion Sickness question

bunnyfoofoo82

I can swear by ginger pills. They are a natural stomach soother... and you can take then often as they are organic and not medicinal...each time you feel a need take one, they work quickly. You can get them from most drug stores.

If you do not bring ginger pills... try a ginger ale. Not quite as potent, but still seems to work.

There are also many over-the-counter pills like Dramamine, but those leave me feeling dopy and tired.

Good Luck!

I get motion sick too. On our first cruise, I didn't think anything of it and ended up pretty queasy the first 2 days. I got some Dramamine from the front desk and after a few hours was feeling a lot better.

2nd cruise was to Alaska where it's pretty common to hit rough water in the Pacific. I *thought* I was getting well-prepared by getting the scopolamine patch from my dr. He told me to start it 2 nights before we boarded. By the time we were boarded and getting ready to go to dinner, the whites of my eyes had turned blood red, like a Hollywod special effect red lol They felt really dry and painful. Reading the box, it said it's a very rare but possible side effect of the patch. So I took it off and went back to Dramamine.

Remember that we are all different and what works well for one person might not be good for you. You may also want to see what your physician says.

I use Bonine and there are other similar products that you can purchase at the drug store. They are over the counter. The one side effect is they can make you drowsy but for the most part we have not had that side effect. We take it before the ship leaves port and then we take it only when the captain says there might be rough seas. It says 1 to 2 per 24 hours and I only take one. Another similar one is dramamine.

Some go with the ginger capsules and if they work then they are good. But they don't always work.

Other remedies include sea bands but even the manufacturer notes that they only work for about half the people.

There are other remedies such as the patch which requires a prescription. Biggest side effect from that is a dry mouth.

Whatever you do try it out before you go. So if you try bonine take one at home to see if you have any side effects.

Keith

DH has had good results with meclizine, the generic version of Bonine. He starts taking it a couple of days before we sail, and takes it in the evening.

We always book a cabin as low and midships as possible.

I know several people who swear by the sea-bands. Not sure if they'll work for you, but if they don't there aren't any side effects.

Actually, there is an awful side effect. If they do not work you get seasick! And once you are seasick it is very difficult to reverse the process. But we do know some cruisers who swear by the sea bands. Ironically, we were on a TA cruise last year and dined with a young German couple who told us how great the seabands worked. It was only their 2nd cruise and they had never been in really rough seas. Well sure enough...on the 3rd evening of the crossing we hit some moderate seas (about 5 meters) and the ship was doing some rocking and rolling. During dinner the German lady started turning quite green, and a few minutes later so did her husband. They had to quickly exit the dining room and we did not see them for 2 days. They told us they finally went to the medical center where they had to pay for shots (probably Compazine) and they were also given Meclizine (over the counter its sold as Bonine) along with a bill of over $100.

Hank

Motion Eze from Walmart. Costs about $7. All natural oils.

Just remember that Arsenic is also totally natural :). But not so sure we would recommend that product. My only point is that marketing ploys like "all natural," "organic," etc usually means not much.

Hank

P.S. Deadly poisonous mushrooms are "organic"

Just remember that Arsenic is also totally natural :). But not so sure we would recommend that product. My only point is that marketing ploys like "all natural," "organic," etc usually means not much.

Hank

P.S. Deadly poisonous mushrooms are "organic"

Everyone needs to do what is right for them. It works for me and my family.

Thanks for all the wonderful tips. I already own the sea bands, I use them in the car for motion sickness, so I'll definitely be packing them. But it sounds like I'll pick up a couple of different things, maybe try them before hand just to see how I'm effected by the side effects.

Let start at the beginning with some background information that will really help you before we get to remedies.

First of all, most people don't get seasick, and if you do, it almost always passes in a day, once you get your sea legs. Yes, I know, there are some people (a very small number) who seem to take several days to get over it. If you are prone to motion sickness, then you ought to take some precautions.

Seasickness is primarily caused by a conflict between the eyes (if they are not seeing the motion) and the inner ear which detect the motion. So, prevention is somewhat easy -- stay someplace where you can see the motion until you get your sea legs. Staying out on deck and watching the horizon is the cure, and the fresh air will help as well. If you are inside, stay near a window so you can see the horizon. If you are not feeling well, do not go inside and lose sight of the seas. The other thing is to eat normally. While this seems counter-intuitive, an empty stomach is not the answer. Keep away from greasy foods and don't overeat, but eat normal meals at normal times.

As for the remedies:

Ginger is clinically proven to dramatically reduce or prevent all motion sickness. You can take ginger pills (available in any drug store), eat candied ginger or ginger snaps, or drink real ginger ale (though you might need a lot). This is a natural remedy obviously, but clinically proven to work. Start taking or eating it before you get on the ship, but you do not need more than a few hours' time for it to get into your system.

Some people, as noted in a previous post, swear by the seabands, others notice no effect whatsoever. Again, no medications, but not always effective, and if they don't work, you are going to be in a predicament.

Bonine and dramamine are OTC medications available everywhere. They will work for most people who get seasick. They should be started before getting on the ship. Ships also dispense generic forms of these pills.

For cases of severe seasickness where nothing else has worked, there is the patch. The most common side-effect is dry mouth, but there can be some serious side-effects as mentioned and including hallucinations. If you know you are going to get seasick, and you have tried other medications without success, and your doctor recommends it, get the prescription filled in advance and try it for a week on dry land first -- you don't want to start hallucinating as you walk along the rail while you are at sea.

Perhaps most of all, don't worry yourself into it. Even if you get motion sick in other situations, you are likely to be fine or will be fine after a few hours. While cruise ships do move in the seas, and rough seas can cause a lot of motion, bear in mind that they are not anything like small pleasure craft that bob and bounce along all the time or like the world whizzing by in a car. Motion on a cruise ship tends to be much, much slower and less dramatic. If it were a really common problem, you wouldn't see so many cruise ships out there. For most passengers, the gentle motion is calming. Cruise lines try to avoid rough seas when they can, though that is not always possible, and the seas are not always coming from the right direction (Mother Nature can be soooo finicky). For the most part, though, relax and enjoy. Odds are that you are going to be just fine at least after a day or two at the most.

BB, you took the words right out of my mouth. The best cure for motion sickness is a balcony suite! Looking out at the Horizon so your eyes see what your inner ear feels usually does the trick! Have a great time, cruising is the best!

I tried the balcony suite last time.. I am a long time boatie and never been sea sick.. but i thought my wife might as she is not a boatie at all.. sure enough she felt sea sick.. problem was she said the view made it worse.. no matter how hard I tried I could not get her to sit outside and have the curtains open...

After getting back we found out that the dose of stemital she was taking for it was to much and may have made it worse..

We cruise in about 6 weeks again.. so no stemital this time and will leave the curtains open this time!!

Just booked our first cruise for March, 2013 and I'm excited and nervous... I get seasick on any boat that gently rolls (I have had BPP vertigo issues on land). Exciting, bouncy boat rides and I'm fine. So, I've planned to get the patch prescription from my doctor, will take ginger capsules, and may buy SeaBands, but I'm also contemplating hypnosis for motion sickness.

Has anyone tried this before? Did you get any positive results, or no good results? Its not an inexpensive process, but I'm more than willing to try if it works!

Cathy in PA

Let start at the beginning with some background information that will really help you before we get to remedies.

First of all, most people don't get seasick, and if you do, it almost always passes in a day, once you get your sea legs. Yes, I know, there are some people (a very small number) who seem to take several days to get over it. If you are prone to motion sickness, then you ought to take some precautions.

Seasickness is primarily caused by a conflict between the eyes (if they are not seeing the motion) and the inner ear which detect the motion. So, prevention is somewhat easy -- stay someplace where you can see the motion until you get your sea legs. Staying out on deck and watching the horizon is the cure, and the fresh air will help as well. If you are inside, stay near a window so you can see the horizon. If you are not feeling well, do not go inside and lose sight of the seas. The other thing is to eat normally. While this seems counter-intuitive, an empty stomach is not the answer. Keep away from greasy foods and don't overeat, but eat normal meals at normal times.

As for the remedies:

Ginger is clinically proven to dramatically reduce or prevent all motion sickness. You can take ginger pills (available in any drug store), eat candied ginger or ginger snaps, or drink real ginger ale (though you might need a lot). This is a natural remedy obviously, but clinically proven to work. Start taking or eating it before you get on the ship, but you do not need more than a few hours' time for it to get into your system.

Some people, as noted in a previous post, swear by the seabands, others notice no effect whatsoever. Again, no medications, but not always effective, and if they don't work, you are going to be in a predicament.

Bonine and dramamine are OTC medications available everywhere. They will work for most people who get seasick. They should be started before getting on the ship. Ships also dispense generic forms of these pills.

For cases of severe seasickness where nothing else has worked, there is the patch. The most common side-effect is dry mouth, but there can be some serious side-effects as mentioned and including hallucinations. If you know you are going to get seasick, and you have tried other medications without success, and your doctor recommends it, get the prescription filled in advance and try it for a week on dry land first -- you don't want to start hallucinating as you walk along the rail while you are at sea.

Perhaps most of all, don't worry yourself into it. Even if you get motion sick in other situations, you are likely to be fine or will be fine after a few hours. While cruise ships do move in the seas, and rough seas can cause a lot of motion, bear in mind that they are not anything like small pleasure craft that bob and bounce along all the time or like the world whizzing by in a car. Motion on a cruise ship tends to be much, much slower and less dramatic. If it were a really common problem, you wouldn't see so many cruise ships out there. For most passengers, the gentle motion is calming. Cruise lines try to avoid rough seas when they can, though that is not always possible, and the seas are not always coming from the right direction (Mother Nature can be soooo finicky). For the most part, though, relax and enjoy. Odds are that you are going to be just fine at least after a day or two at the most.

Thanks Ben and Susan, that was a very helpful post

I have become more affected by motion sickness as I have aged. While I rarely if ever feel the effects in a car or on an airplane, I get very sick when on a boat or riding a rollercoaster.

I get a prescription from my Dr. for the patch before any cruise. The patch I have now contains scopolamine 1.5mg and each patch lasts about 3 days (they recommend starting 4 hours before you sail).

Dramamine also works for me, however, it makes me VERY drowsy.

If using either of these to combat motion sickness, remember that they are PREVENTATIVE and will only work BEFORE you get seasick. Taking them after you are seasick will not help. This does not bode well for the people who want to take a wait and see approach to see if they actually get sick on the ship first!

Research that I have read support that ginger tablets are the only thing you can take for motion sickness AFTER the fact although the extent of relief given vary between individuals. I always take ginger tablets with me on a cruise just in case, but have not had to use them yet, so I can not tell you how they may help or not.

In any case, good luck to you. Getting seasick on a cruise can, for lack of a better word, blow!

Archived