NCL rock bottom last minute european cruises

alaska_planner

I'm just planning my excursions for the 12-night Venice to Barcelona coming up in less than 9 months. Thanks for the timely advice about Ephesus.

I'm also hoping that in Istanbul I will have enough time to get the full body treatment in a hammam, drink a Turkish coffee at a cafe, and see the major local sites, like the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia, and Topkapi. Anyone know if this is even possible?

I'm just planning my excursions for the 12-night Venice to Barcelona coming up in less than 9 months. Thanks for the timely advice about Ephesus.

I'm also hoping that in Istanbul I will have enough time to get the full body treatment in a hammam, drink a Turkish coffee at a cafe, and see the major local sites, like the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia, and Topkapi. Anyone know if this is even possible?

Yes! It's very easy to tour Istanbul on your own for very cheap! Check out my review of the Epic Western Med cruise in my signature for some advice and pics!

It is and the Terrace House that Turtle mentioned is a must do. All the independent tour companies offer it as an add on to their tour. The add on is because there is an admission charge.

The Terrace Houses were the homes of the wealthy in Ephesus; they were built into a hillside, hence their name. Visitors start at the bottom, and walk up stairs and across platforms through the ruins. The additional admission charge is minor; this is a "must see."

MedCruise20101452.jpg

(Terrace Houses, photo by turtles06)

The Terrace Houses were the homes of the wealthy in Ephesus; they were built into a hillside, hence their name. Visitors start at the bottom, and walk up stairs and across platforms through the ruins. The additional admission charge is minor; this is a "must see."

MedCruise20101452.jpg

(Terrace Houses, photo by turtles06)

Yes, the fee is minor. It is about $10.

The low prices totally drew me in. I was playing around the NCL site a few weeks ago and stumbled upon pricing of $350pp for the 10 day Jade itinerary on Jan 2nd. There was a hot deal of $300pp for the same cruise later in the month. I happened to have a lull in my work schedule so I jumped on the Jan 2nd date almost instantly. I actually ended up with an obstructed oceanview cabin for only about $40 more. Its pretty hard to beat 10 days in Europe for under $75 per day (paying double as a solo). This will be my third time on the Jade, and second time to Olympia / Athens / Izmir. I'm excited for the repeat ports, totally stoked about two days in Istanbul, and a visit to Pompeii from Naples is just icing on the cake. This is the quickest I've ever planned for a cruise, but I am so excited!

I have spent much time in Turkey and very much enjoyed it so unless you have visited and had a problem I can not see how you can judge somewhere without going first. Turkey is a massive country so I suggest taking time to travel around the many fascinating places - I live in Greece and even the Greeks shop and visit after there chequered history.

Turkey is great! I was amazed. When we went there the first time, we'd gone on the Jade to see Egypt, Rome, and Athens. Ephesus was just as wonderful or more so! On our recent Jade cruise, we met a couple who had been on a land tour of Turkey and told us about the great things they had seen. Add one more to our bucket list.

You most certainly will! In fact, you can do all the above in a SINGLE day. I am going to do a write up on diy Turkey soon which will cover this.

An abbreviated version is this:

The cruise ship docks near the Karakoy metro stop, go there after getting some Turkish lira at a nearby ATM or onboard. Take it to Gulhane (one stop before Sultanahmet stop). From the Gulhane stop you are aboua block away from the road leading to Hagia Sophia and Topkapi. Some of the best major sites are nearly in a straight line only a few blocks spacing apart - Topkapi, Istanbul Archeological Museum, Hagia Sophia, the Cistern, the two Obelisks, and the Blue Mosque. You can start on one side and continue down the line to see each of them.

Across from the park between Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque are several good cafes to take a rest with nearby shopping if you don't have time to stop at the Spice Bazaar on the way back to the ship.

When you finish your last stop at the Blue Mosque/Obelisk, across is Sultanahmet Metro Stop, get back on the metro and go one stop to Cemberlitas. Get off there and enjoy one of the best Hamams in the area - Cemberlitas!! It is only 1/2 block from the Metro. When you are done with the Hamam, get back on the Metro at Cemberlitas and take it back to the cruise ship stop - Karakoy.

What you will get to see of the above will depend on the time you have available for a day, and what is open. Hagia Sophia is closed on Mondays, and Topkapi on Tuesdays.

Order of Importance and Time to See (imho):

Hagia Sophia - 60 - 80 minutes

Topkapi including the Harem - 2 - 3 hours

Blue Mosque - 20 - 30 minutes + wait time if you arrive around prayer or on busiest days

Archeological Museum - 2 hours

Cistern - 30 minutes

Obelisks - 5 - 10 minutes walking by to take pics

I also LOVE the spice market across from the Eminou Tram Stop which is 1 metro stop away (on the other side of the bridge) from the cruise port if you have time to stop on your way back. More on that later...

See page 3 for a good map showing the above: http://www.**************.com/Istanbul-09-05-2011.pdf

Rick Steves is a great guide book as well.

L.A.S.T.

When we were on the Jade (see above), we too docked in Izmir. Several of us on our Roll Call had arranged a private shore excursion to visit Ephesus (including the Terrace Houses), the Temple of Artemis, and the Mary House using Ekol Tours. Our guide (the fabulous Yelda Celik) was phenomenal; our day with her in Ephesus was the most fantastic single day of our wonderful trip. (Get off the ship as early as you can, and beat the buses to the Mary House and Ephesus....) The prices were very reasonable.

Ekol is one of several highly-recommeded private tour operators in that part of Turkey. If you haven't already done so, please go over to the Ports of Call Board (Europe/Other Med Ports), and you'll find Ekol as well as others recommended, and a great deal of info about the private tours.

If you visit Ephesus, the Terrace Houses are a must, but the ship tours are too big to be allowed in.

Have a great trip; here's a little bit of Ephesus to whet your appetite.

(photos by turtles06)

Thanks for the great pictures! I can't wait for our Ephesus Trip!!

The low prices totally drew me in. I was playing around the NCL site a few weeks ago and stumbled upon pricing of $350pp for the 10 day Jade itinerary on Jan 2nd. There was a hot deal of $300pp for the same cruise later in the month. I happened to have a lull in my work schedule so I jumped on the Jan 2nd date almost instantly. I actually ended up with an obstructed oceanview cabin for only about $40 more. Its pretty hard to beat 10 days in Europe for under $75 per day (paying double as a solo). This will be my third time on the Jade, and second time to Olympia / Athens / Izmir. I'm excited for the repeat ports, totally stoked about two days in Istanbul, and a visit to Pompeii from Naples is just icing on the cake. This is the quickest I've ever planned for a cruise, but I am so excited!

I am sure you will have a fantastic time. We have cruised this area on various cruise lines (Crystal, Princess, Celebrity, HAL, Cunard) starting back in l990, we just keep on going back. All ports are wonderful. We have done many on our own, plus some ship tours. Booked on the Jade in April 2013 to go again. I don't know how the Jade will compare to these other lines, because we have not been on NCL in 10 years. Jade reviews are good. But the truth is these are very port intensive cruises, ship itself is less important. A good bed and a good meal on board is all you need.

Had to book the Feb cruise on the Jade when we saw the great prices! Can't wait to visit these ports, as we haven't been to any of them (except Athens!) and they all sound amazing! We love going off-peak, and especially love not being in these places in the extreme heat of summer. I've done that in Greece! We were able to use frequent flyer miles for the air portion, so this is going to be a great bargain trip!!

It might be that Turkey is just a place they had no interest in going to. Example my Husband fascinated with most oriental countries. I have never really been that interested. But it would not keep me from doing a specific cruise. Who knows I may end up loving the place.

Love all the info on Turkey! I am about to book a 2014 Med trip on the Spirit. The price are "not" rock bottom :eek: We do have to go in June. Wondering...since I've never cruised NCL...how likely are the prices to drop on a Grand Med/Barcelona to Venice??

Archived