NCL rock bottom last minute european cruises

alaska_planner

i just noticed how cheap NCL's european cruises are for january/february!

especially the 10 day eastern med cruise - but i have no interest in spending 3 days in turkey (or any days in turkey for that matter)...

apparently other people aren't interested either or the prices wouldn't be so bargain basement....

I took advantage of the pricing and am really looking forward to going back to Turkey, especially Istanbul. I have been to "some" places around the world - Scotland, England, Mexico, Costa Rica, Egypt, Germany, Netherlands, Canada, numerous Caribbean Countries and US Cities; and Istanbul was far the most fascinating city I have ever been to. :)

We passed up China or Japan to go do this sailing out of Rome and couldn't be more thrilled it's stopping in Naples and Athens. Funny thing is it's Olympia I could do without!! :p

I'm STILL waiting for us to make it to Alaska though!! My parents did a trip there and said it was beyond compare...

L.A.S.T.

Back from that trip yesterday. Istanbul overnight is pretty nice, especially since the cruiseport is directly in the city.

And due to winter season the touristic sites are not crowded. When it is dry and mild walking around the ruins in most of the ports is much easier than in the summer heat.

I can really recommend the cruise, especially as the crew was extremely relaxed and attentive. Probably because of the not fully booked ship, around 1800 guests. Never had a better service before.

I have spent much time in Turkey and very much enjoyed it so unless you have visited and had a problem I can not see how you can judge somewhere without going first. Turkey is a massive country so I suggest taking time to travel around the many fascinating places - I live in Greece and even the Greeks shop and visit after there chequered history.

We'd have loved to have had two days in Istanbul. Had hoped NCL would replace Egypt with Istanbul. We did one day in a substitute port in Turkey for the scheduled one due to rough seas. In an earlier cruise, we loved Ephesus (Izmir) and will consider a Turkey land tour as there is so much to see.

On our December Jade cruise, we met folks from Europe who had apparently gotten rock bottom rates at the last minute. That works when you can come in on the train to Rome. For us in US, not so much due to airfare.

What's wrong with Turkey? Ephesus was great and even better than Pompeii and Istanbul was amazing. I went on a different cruise line and wished we had an overnight in Istanbul - clean, safe, modern, affordable, easy to get around, fascinating culture, good food... need I go on? :)

What's wrong with Turkey? Ephesus was great and even better than Pompeii and Istanbul was amazing. I went on a different cruise line and wished we had an overnight in Istanbul - clean, safe, modern, affordable, easy to get around, fascinating culture, good food... need I go on? :)

THANK YOU! I often wonder why people have such a preconceived notion about various countries and cultures. Turkey is one of my favorite places, especially Istanbul.

To the OP: have you ever actually BEEN to Turkey???

I have booked NCL Jade for March 27th great solo occupancy price I am very excited about visiting Istanbul

Don't know why the other person has no interest in Turkey but having done Istanbul and Ephesus on an Eastern Med cruise you should be excited. Istanbul is a great port to visit. Hopefully you are also doing Ephesus. That is another great Turkish port.

Personally, I don't think the low prices are a reflection of the ports - rather a reflection of it being "off" season and much cooler, so perhaps not the ideal vacation time there for some people.

I love cooler weather, would love to visit these ports and would jump on one of these cruises now if airfare wasn't necessary! I'm different than most and have visited Italy and Rome during the massive summer heat and would pick these temperatures over the summer no question.

We did a 12-night Med cruise on the Jade (RT Barcelona) four years ago in late Jan/early Feb, and we loved it. The normally crowded ports weren't crowded. Sure, cruising the Med in the winter isn't for everyone, but the lower temps made places like Egypt and Ephesus really comfortable.

Earlier this week, my partner noticed NCL's low prices for this Jan. and Feb. She was pretty much calling me daily in amazement with each price drop. We'll be on another trip then, so we can't take advantage of these prices, but those are some great deals.

As for Turkey, I don't know what the OP has against it, but we loved our day in Ephesus, and Istanbul is really high on our list of places to visit. I'd love to take a cruise that overnights there.

Yes Ephesus is one of the places to visit but we cruise to Izmir which I believe

is over an hours drive away and very expensive with the cruise ship can we get there independently?

I used Ephesus Shuttle for both Ephesus and Istanbul. They were very good and not very expensive. Much better than the cruise line rates. If you can get a group out of your Cruise Critic roll call they will give an even lower price than their standard rates. Check your roll call, there may already be independent tours being organized you can join. We picked them from reading trip reports on the Cruise Critic port of calls board. There are also several other companies mentioned on the port of call board that will pick you up at Izmar that sounded good. You can certainly do it independently.

Yes Ephesus is one of the places to visit but we cruise to Izmir which I believe

is over an hours drive away and very expensive with the cruise ship can we get there independently?

When we were on the Jade (see above), we too docked in Izmir. Several of us on our Roll Call had arranged a private shore excursion to visit Ephesus (including the Terrace Houses), the Temple of Artemis, and the Mary House using Ekol Tours. Our guide (the fabulous Yelda Celik) was phenomenal; our day with her in Ephesus was the most fantastic single day of our wonderful trip. (Get off the ship as early as you can, and beat the buses to the Mary House and Ephesus....) The prices were very reasonable.

Ekol is one of several highly-recommeded private tour operators in that part of Turkey. If you haven't already done so, please go over to the Ports of Call Board (Europe/Other Med Ports), and you'll find Ekol as well as others recommended, and a great deal of info about the private tours.

If you visit Ephesus, the Terrace Houses are a must, but the ship tours are too big to be allowed in.

Have a great trip; here's a little bit of Ephesus to whet your appetite.

LibraryofCelsus.jpg

EphesusTheatre.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

Archived