When HAL sailed to 6 Mexican ports

billroddy

Found some photos from 2005 on my 10 day cruise that went to:

Cabo, Mazatlan, Manzanillo, Puerto Vallarta, Zihuatanejo, and Acapulco.

Much better than seven days to Cabo and overnight in PV.

Wonder why HAL doesn't do that anymore?

Bill

Ancient Mariner

Massive crime, violence, murders robbery. durg cartels, corruption, Is that enough. Almost as many people have been murdered in Mexico in the past 5 years as were killed in Vietnam.. some 50,000. And it isnt geting better. And a lot is directed at tourists... Its a war zone.

If I am on a ship that is foolish enough to stop anywhere in Mexico I wouls today not get off. Used to...not now.

Last year, we did the 10-day Sea of Cortez on the Oosterdam: Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan (cancelled), Puerto Vallarta, Topolobampo, Loreto, Guaymas, and then Cabo again since Mazatlan was cancelled. It was nice seeing the other ports, but VERY intensive: 6 ports in 6 days! :eek:

I am doing an 8-day Mexican Riviera on the Zaandam next year: Cabo, Loreto, Puerto Vallarta. No overnights.

KK, I understand about traveling far for a short period of time. I can't take off that much time all at once, so I'm lucky to live near the ports and not have to fly. If I ever want to go to the Caribbean, I'll have to save up time and (airfare) money.

I tire of the crime excuse. If it was as bad a some make out everyone would be dead. The most scary place I`ve ever been is Jamaica and HAL is pretty ok with going there.

I agree - we travel to Mexico on our vacations yearly (driving and flying)- yes there are some dangerous areas - the State Department post these warnings and are updated on a regular basis.

There are many dangerous areas all over the world and the US. Just have to be informed and use common sense.

CT

Last year, we did the 10-day Sea of Cortez on the Oosterdam: Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan (cancelled), Puerto Vallarta, Topolobampo, Loreto, Guaymas, and then Cabo again since Mazatlan was cancelled. It was nice seeing the other ports, but VERY intensive: 6 ports in 6 days! :eek:

I am doing an 8-day Mexican Riviera on the Zaandam next year: Cabo, Loreto, Puerto Vallarta. No overnights.

KK, I understand about traveling far for a short period of time. I can't take off that much time all at once, so I'm lucky to live near the ports and not have to fly. If I ever want to go to the Caribbean, I'll have to save up time and (airfare) money.

Don't know why HAL can't do the 10 day Sea of Cortez again. One year we went to La Paz - it was beautiful there - another year to Guyamis after they built a special dock for HAL. Now HAL doesn't bother with them. I sure miss Mazatlan but don't understand why we can't go to Manzanillo. It is very boring going to Cabo and PV and Loreto for that matter. Unless one likes to snorkel in cold water there is not much to do in Loreto. Glad HAL is offering a clam bake this year.:)

Weren't the fares very low for Oosterdam doing seven day Mexico cruises? If they can get higher fares by sailing her in Australia, that is what they have to do. It is a 'for profit' business.

Some people paid really low fares and spent little on board from what I have read. Given the danger factor, it's not surprising they don't sail there now.

We have been to Cozumel twice in the last year and felt perfectly safe there.

I don't ever think I've seen fares as low as they are for the Caribbean. I never get any deals. I don't imagine they make tons on shorex in the Caribbean either. I don't imagine they will stop cruising there. Why not move all those ships to Europe. It's SO painful to fly to the east coast for many of us on the west coast but there isn't much of a choice now. I do hope that the Oosterdam will come back to the west coast.

Massive crime, violence, murders robbery. durg cartels, corruption, Is that enough. Almost as many people have been murdered in Mexico in the past 5 years as were killed in Vietnam.. some 50,000. And it isnt geting better. And a lot is directed at tourists... Its a war zone.

If I am on a ship that is foolish enough to stop anywhere in Mexico I wouls today not get off. Used to...not now.

WOW. I guess if we defined the USA as downtown Detroit, South Central LA, Cleveland, etc. we would find that the murder rate is not very good. So here is the thing about Mexico. We would agree that Acapulco is no longer a great place for tourists. But, why don't you research how many cruise ship passengers have been "murdered" in Cabo, PV, Mazatlan, Zihuatanejo, and Manzanillo. I believe the answer would be a big Zero! Now take a look at how many cruise ship passengers have been gunned down in St Thomas (a 14 year old cruise ship passenger (female) was shot dead near Coki Beach).

You also mention that "a lot is directed at tourists" when referring to murders in Mexico. Do you think? You may not be aware that many Americans and Canadians live and routinely travel to Mexico with no fear, problems, or worries, In the Puerto Vallarta area (around the Bay of Bandaras) there are approximately 60,000 Americans/Canadians that either live or spend many months a year in that near paradise. The crimes against those expats are far fewer then most parts of the USA. In Cabo there are also lots of expats. So please do not paint Mexico with such a broad brush.

By the way, in the entire year of 2011 there were 111 reported violent deaths of America throughout the entire country of Mexico. Most of those murders were attributed to those involved in the drug trade and/or folks traveling in the high crime areas near parts of the US Border. Meanwhile in Chicago (a single city) there were approximately 500 murders in the same time period. Go figure. In fact, in Hawaii there were 17 murders in the same time period and Hawaii has only about 1/10 the population of Mexico. So I guess we can say that Hawaii is much more dangerous then Mexico

Hank

WOW. I guess if we defined the USA as downtown Detroit, South Central LA, Cleveland, etc. we would find that the murder rate is not very good. So here is the thing about Mexico. We would agree that Acapulco is no longer a great place for tourists. But, why don't you research how many cruise ship passengers have been "murdered" in Cabo, PV, Mazatlan, Zihuatanejo, and Manzanillo. I believe the answer would be a big Zero! Now take a look at how many cruise ship passengers have been gunned down in St Thomas (a 14 year old cruise ship passenger (female) was shot dead near Coki Beach).

You also mention that "a lot is directed at tourists" when referring to murders in Mexico. Do you think? You may not be aware that many Americans and Canadians live and routinely travel to Mexico with no fear, problems, or worries, In the Puerto Vallarta area (around the Bay of Bandaras) there are approximately 60,000 Americans/Canadians that either live or spend many months a year in that near paradise. The crimes against those expats are far fewer then most parts of the USA. In Cabo there are also lots of expats. So please do not paint Mexico with such a broad brush.

By the way, in the entire year of 2011 there were 111 reported violent deaths of America throughout the entire country of Mexico. Most of those murders were attributed to those involved in the drug trade and/or folks traveling in the high crime areas near parts of the US Border. Meanwhile in Chicago (a single city) there were approximately 500 murders in the same time period. Go figure. In fact, in Hawaii there were 17 murders in the same time period and Hawaii has only about 1/10 the population of Mexico. So I guess we can say that Hawaii is much more dangerous then Mexico

Hank

Thank you for presenting actual numbers compared to population. One of my former colleagues spends about a month a year in Mazatlan and never has any problems. I sure miss going there. Also, friends of my mom and dad had their daughters husband murdered in Hawaii. He was an innocent bystander in the wrong place at the wrong time. I should be bad mouthing Hawaii saying how dangerous it is since "everyone" is getting killed there;).

I don't ever think I've seen fares as low as they are for the Caribbean. I never get any deals. I don't imagine they make tons on shorex in the Caribbean either. I don't imagine they will stop cruising there. Why not move all those ships to Europe. It's SO painful to fly to the east coast for many of us on the west coast but there isn't much of a choice now. I do hope that the Oosterdam will come back to the west coast.

Yes, we on the East Coast get it about the long flights.

It is the same for us if we sail Alaska. :) LONG day of travel getting there and home.

It is unlikely I'll sail Alaska again because of the miserable travel days.

Actually, HAL has fewer Caribbean cruises this year. Maasdam is doing a very brief Caribbean season for example. Last year was the first time she did the late fall/winter cruise to Europe and she repeated it this year.

Don't know why HAL can't do the 10 day Sea of Cortez again. One year we went to La Paz - it was beautiful there - another year to Guyamis after they built a special dock for HAL. Now HAL doesn't bother with them. I sure miss Mazatlan but don't understand why we can't go to Manzanillo. It is very boring going to Cabo and PV and Loreto for that matter. Unless one likes to snorkel in cold water there is not much to do in Loreto. Glad HAL is offering a clam bake this year.:)

Nice to hear La Paz mentioned. It was our favourite port on a ten day Sea of Cortez back in 2008. It had everything: A lovely waterfront, interesting town, great photo ops, local shopping and market plus there was a shuttle to a beautiful beach with wonderful swimming and restaurants etc. That cruise also passed the Sierra de la Gigante (I think that was the mountain range) which was absolutely spectacular. Would love to visit that area again....

:D:D:D

Yes, we on the East Coast get it about the long flights.

It is the same for us if we sail Alaska. :) LONG day of travel getting there and home.

It is unlikely I'll sail Alaska again because of the miserable travel days.

Actually, HAL has fewer Caribbean cruises this year. Maasdam is doing a very brief Caribbean season for example. Last year was the first time she did the late fall/winter cruise to Europe and she repeated it this year.

I sure hope they are making buckets of money in Europe. I'm constantly getting emails regarding cheap Europe cruises even though I have zero interest in going there. I'd like to know where the cruise lines are getting the biggest bang for their buck because they seem to be moving more and more out of North America.

I sailed the Sea of Cortez in 2004 and loved every minute of it! La Paz was gorgeous with great food, beaches and a bustling mercado. Loreto was filled with the most friendly people I've ever encountered. And I'm a big fan of Cabo.

I'd book this cruise in a heartbeat!

I sure hope they are making buckets of money in Europe. I'm constantly getting emails regarding cheap Europe cruises even though I have zero interest in going there. I'd like to know where the cruise lines are getting the biggest bang for their buck because they seem to be moving more and more out of North America.

Canada/NE cruises yield a high per diem for many cabin categories.

Canada/NE cruises yield a high per diem for many cabin categories.

Generally I would agree with you. IIRC my 10 day cruise in 2011 cost me $3700. I could have gotten that exact cruise this year for either $2200 or $2600, can't remember which one it was but it was one of the 2. I'm hoping to see a repeat for 2013 so I can finally get a deal that so many others seem to score.

Generally I would agree with you. IIRC my 10 day cruise in 2011 cost me $3700. I could have gotten that exact cruise this year for either $2200 or $2600, can't remember which one it was but it was one of the 2. I'm hoping to see a repeat for 2013 so I can finally get a deal that so many others seem to score.

Hope you're not speaking to me :D if you're talking about 'deals'. There are never any for us. :rolleyes:

If you find a great deal, PLEASE let me know. It would be such a treat, for once :) for us to actually get a good price.

Certainly we have no 'deal' on our already booked Canada/NE cruises for next summer.

Hope you're not speaking to me :D if you're talking about 'deals'. There are never any for us. :rolleyes:

If you find a great deal, PLEASE let me know. It would be such a treat, for once :) for us to actually get a good price.

Certainly we have no 'deal' on our already booked Canada/NE cruises for next summer.

No, I'm speaking of others that brag how little they pay and then wonder why some of us get upset. I'm just dying to book a cruise on the Westerdam to the Panama Canal for 2014 for April but I'm going to wait until some of my issues are resolved and to see what HAL does with pricing. The cruise that had that smokin' deal last year was the Eurodam in mid Sept. I'm not sure if prices were high in the summer because I wasn't looking.

Mid September is okay but not optimum so perhaps it was the start of pricing down for end of season?

That Eurodam cruise is nice.

We like going all the way to Montreal and especially that we can sail from 'home'...... Boston and

that it's Maasdam. :)

Mid September is okay but not optimum so perhaps it was the start of pricing down for end of season?

That Eurodam cruise is nice.

We like going all the way to Montreal and especially that we can sail from 'home'...... Boston and

that it's Maasdam. :)

Yes, I can see prices going down in Sept. I don't blame you for taking the Maasdam. If I didn't have to fly anywhere I'd be all over that.

Archived