Will my regular Kindle and/or my Kindle Fire work on the Dawn?

SANDPEBBLES

They will work fine as an e-reader....if you need an internet connection (say, to download a new book), you will have to sign up for that onboard the ship and pay for the service. Here is a link to that information from the NCL website FAQs:

http://www.ncl.com/about/staying-connected-sea-internet-access

"Free Site" - access to NCL dot com is free on the ship via your laptop, tablet or mobile/smartphone devices - you can use it to explore future cruises, connection is slow as expected and bandwidth is narrow.

shot_000008.jpg

Everything else required plan enrollment on a per device basis with a running meter - you must logged out after each use or else you will continued to be charged (debited against your minute allowances)

shot_000007.jpg

I gave me older kindle to a family member when my DH bought me my tablet. To use it as just an e-reader, would I keep it in airplane mode?

Thank you in advance.

You could put it in airplane mode, but don't have to. It might ask if you would like to connect to the NCL Wi-Fi service it detects, but it won't connect unless you connect it....and you would have to sign up for the service to do that. Now...reference smartphones........and data.....DO have "data off" or "data off while roaming". They will connect to data outside your data plan area and can cost you a fortune if they do.

Definitely bring a power strip as there is usually only one electrical outlet in the cabin. That said, on the Dawn on the last day, we found a second one by unplugging the coffee maker. Never "dawned" on us to do that earlier in the week. Duh.

You could put it in airplane mode, but don't have to. It might ask if you would like to connect to the NCL Wi-Fi service it detects, but it won't connect unless you connect it....and you would have to sign up for the service to do that. Now...reference smartphones........and data.....DO have "data off" or "data off while roaming". They will connect to data outside your data plan area and can cost you a fortune if they do.

My tablet is on our cell phone data plan. It is a new "toy" and I did find the "mobile data" on/off button. Didn't want any expensive "surprises".

I gave me older kindle to a family member when my DH bought me my tablet. To use it as just an e-reader, would I keep it in airplane mode?

Thank you in advance.

Be warned, the tablet might be unreadable outdoors. I have both iPad and Kindle, I download same books on both and I use the Kindle when I'm outdoors.

We leave all our devices in airplane mode - we are on vacation away from internet. I download several books on them before we go on vacation.

My tablet is on our cell phone data plan. It is a new "toy" and I did find the "mobile data" on/off button. Didn't want any expensive "surprises".

If your tablet is 3G data capable in addition to Wi-Fi, you will need to find out how to turn "data" off. If your tablet finds a data signal outside your service plan area, it can connect on its own and start downloading mail, attachments, etc. That can be super expensive. Wi-Fi, on the other hand, if your tablet can connect to a Wi-Fi signal, is free. However, the ship's Wi-Fi and many other Wi-Fi signals are locked, requiring a password. So you tablet will not connect to them unless you choose to do so by securing the correct access (paying, on the ship).

Ooops...I see you DID find the data off button. Good.

The first and second generation Kindles download books with whispernet so no need for internet of any kind. Its the newer ones that need wifi. I agree that tablets are impossible to read in the sun! I brought mine to the beach and couldnt read a darn thing. Im taking my old kindle out of mothballs so to speak for my upcoming cruise!

I have a first generation Kindle and use it all the time on ships. You cannot download books while you're far out at sea but only in port or when you're close enough to a tower to get a signal. I have the Experimental function on a 3G Kindle so I can access the internet in port without any charge. It's not the best looking screen and it's kind of hard to navigate but I can check e-mail and Facebook and I've done that in the Caribbean and in Europe. It's great for free. It's also very easy to read in the sunlight. Sometimes the older models can be better.

Archived