Internet Question

JasmineB

I've only used the Internet cafe to get online in the past and used the 'free minutes' offered to Platinum guests. This time I am taking an iPad. Can I sign up for minutes using either the internet cafe or my iPad and then use my allotted minutes on either/or device, or am I committed to one or the other once I sign up?

I'm not sure how much I'll like using the iPad as it has some limitations, but it's also convenient in certain ways as well.

I've only used the Internet cafe to get online in the past and used the 'free minutes' offered to Platinum guests. This time I am taking an iPad. Can I sign up for minutes using either the internet cafe or my iPad and then use my allotted minutes on either/or device, or am I committed to one or the other once I sign up?

I'm not sure how much I'll like using the iPad as it has some limitations, but it's also convenient in certain ways as well.

You register for your minutes and you can use your minutes on multiple devices by signing in on the device with the same password, but you and someone else cannot be using your minutes at the same time. One sign in at a time.

You can use your free minutes on either device . You'll have to do your first sign up thru the internet cafe . Pay attention to the instructions for logging off your portable device . Make sure you keep your portable device in airplane mode (WiFi turned off ) when not being used .

If you are going to buy an internet package, during the 1st two days there is a bonus of 10% of the package, for $100 you get 200 minutes & 20 free, but if you go on the Princess site before your cruise and "buy" yourself a gift , you get 20% bonus minutes - $100 gets you 240 minutes instead of 220. The onboard internet is verrrrrry slow - . Mike in CT

Although if I'm on the iPad, how do I find the login page? When I open my browser, will it be the first thing that pops up, much like in many hotels?
Before leaving home, put the iPad on Airplane mode if you have 3G. When you get on the ship, go to settings and turn on just WiFi. The ship's WiFi will show as an option so select it. Then, open Safari and the log-in page will appear. Initially, you sign up with your first name, last name, cabin # and your birthdate. Then, you create your password. After choosing an Internet plan, you'll be taken to the Internet. It's pretty easy.

The one thing you make sure you do is when you're finished, type either "logout.com" or 1.1.1.1 in order to log out of the ship's Internet. Even if you turn off the WiFi, you'll continue to rack up minutes because you won't be logged out.

Here is the initial log-in page I captured from my iPhone in September.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356910548.434405.jpg.2b6395613536009c28035a9031708768.jpg

Jasmine, I also have a WiFi Ipad and took it on a cruise for the first time two weeks ago and it worked great. We were in an aft cabin and I could use it on my balcony (was on Ruby Princess in the Caribbean). I used "logoff" vs. "logout" but maybe both work. Regarding limitations to the Ipad, I found that I could have left my laptop at home were it not for having it to download our pictures into a full version of PhotoShop. Other than that, Ipad worked perfectly for email, Facebook, internet etc. access.

I assume you all are referring to a cafe on board, correct? So does the Star Princess have one? How many computers are there; enough to get onto one with just a reasonable wait time -- or do you reserve time? If you don't purchase an Internet Cafe package (I doubt I'll use $100 worth of minutes), can you pay by the minute? Anyone know how much it cost per minute? We are not very tech oriented; our cell phone will not even work on board. So it would be nice to just send an email to folks at home maybe three or four times during the cruise.

...on a cruise. I'm going in order to get away from all this high tech communication type stuff. I just want to tell my loved ones at home that all is well. I'll go for the .75 a minute and hope to keep it under ten or twenty minutes.

The Internet cafe usually has about 20 computers. How long a wait depends on how many other people want to use it at the same time you do. With many people bringing lap tops or other Internet devices on board, there is less of a demand to use the Princess machines.

The Internet will be relatively slow much of the time, so you may be using more minutes than you think you will need.

Current prices are:

First there is a $3.95 initial sign up charge (once per cruise per user; free for platinum/elite passengers). Then 75 cents/minute unless you purchase a package. No refund for package minutes not used.

Packages:

100 minutes $69.00

200 minutes $99.00

400 minutes $159.00

600 minutes $199.00

1000 minutes (world cruise only) $249

If you sign up for a package the first day, there is usually some free bonus minutes. You can also pre-pay for a package at http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/communications/index.jsp and this will include more bonus minutes than you would get onboard. If you pre-pay, it will be priced to include the 3.95 initial sign-on fee.

The first time you use the Internet onboard, there will be instructions on how to set up your account and select a password.

Archived