HUGE Group on Nov. 3, 2013 Sailing of Freedom

cruisead

Heres a heads up to anyone thinking of booking this cruise, unless you're part of the High Seas Rally group. This is a very large group of motorcycle enthusiasts, this years cruise numbered 1600 or so, that will be sailing on Freedom. We were on at the same time, but not part of the group, and it did affect a lot of the cruise. They are a fun group, but when a group this size is on any ship, it does affect those who are not part of that group. We heard some stories of people filing complaints that RCI should have informed passengers that a group of that size would be on board. Don't know if the complainers got anything as we didn't complain (the group didn't bother us one bit), but some passengers were apparently big time angry.

So, unless you don't mind a group of 1500 or so, you might want to think about an alternate booking.

Really, someone can predict how many or what kind of cruiser will be on a ship 11 months out when it's an open booking. I predict the group on this ship will be about 4000 strong as it is every week.:rolleyes:

No predictions, when it's an openly advertized event. Google it.

I can remember growing up as a teenager in the later 60s, early 70s when motorcycle groups were limited to the Hell Angels.

Now more motorcycle groups I know around this area has members whose other professions are doctors, lawyers, educational administators, etc.

My how times have changed.

Heres a heads up to anyone thinking of booking this cruise, unless you're part of the High Seas Rally group. This is a very large group of motorcycle enthusiasts, this years cruise numbered 1600 or so, that will be sailing on Freedom. We were on at the same time, but not part of the group, and it did affect a lot of the cruise. They are a fun group, but when a group this size is on any ship, it does affect those who are not part of that group. We heard some stories of people filing complaints that RCI should have informed passengers that a group of that size would be on board. Don't know if the complainers got anything as we didn't complain (the group didn't bother us one bit), but some passengers were apparently big time angry.

So, unless you don't mind a group of 1500 or so, you might want to think about an alternate booking.

Our first ever cruise was on the beautiful Mariner of the Seas and half of the ship had been chartered to Hogs on the High Seas. It was the WORST experience of my life. While I'm sure there are many very nice 'hogs' we got bullied and abused for a full 7 days for being gay. I can't tell you the names we were called at least once every hour if we were out and about. All from the hogs cliques. Neither of us 'looks' gay nor are camp or effeminate. I used to think - how do they know ???? We also had an incident where I went to the pool bar and 4 hogs started shouting at the bar staff to wash the glasses well so they don't catch fag disease !! There was another incident where my partner got in the solarium pool and all but one person got out. We ended up staying in our cabin nearly 24/7 for the last 3 days. We even ate room service rather than Windjammer or MDR. While disembarking and chatting to people in line we did find out a small contingent of hogs had decided to use us for 'fun' that week and due to the 'pack mentality' others followed and after a couple of days a decent sized group were looking out for us to 'make good sport'. Thankfully when we got back onboard (as it was B2B) we had an amazing, fantastic 2nd week.

• 6 months later...

Just so you know we are a lage group of bikers not affiliated with anyone other than our passion for riding and american made motorcycles. Yes we take over the ship but we are held to very high standards far more than the rotten teenagers get away with.

This is actually a charity called Debbies Dialysis fund where our goal is to raise $$$$ to bring dialysis patients on vacation with a partner plus spending money. We have all the equipment onboard with staff for their treatments. Are they bikers with bad kidneys? NO. This is open to anyone all you have to do is ask. We raised 350K last cruise for this year, we have our own shows our own vendor areas. Most passengers get a little put off at first but the vast majority join our fun. First ever ever fireworks on a cruise ship last year and we paid for it. Probably this year again! Our shows at the pool get alot of laughs from all.

Join the fun you will have a good time don't let the tatoos scare you. The majority of us are very affluent people that enjoy being with others that have the same interests. Last year 2300 this year I believe we were limited to 1600. We can easily fill an entire ship but RCCL rules. The crew looks quite forward to our cruise each year.

Just though I'd give you the Real Deal.

Our first ever cruise was on the beautiful Mariner of the Seas and half of the ship had been chartered to Hogs on the High Seas. It was the WORST experience of my life. While I'm sure there are many very nice 'hogs' we got bullied and abused for a full 7 days for being gay. I can't tell you the names we were called at least once every hour if we were out and about. All from the hogs cliques. Neither of us 'looks' gay nor are camp or effeminate. I used to think - how do they know ???? We also had an incident where I went to the pool bar and 4 hogs started shouting at the bar staff to wash the glasses well so they don't catch fag disease !! There was another incident where my partner got in the solarium pool and all but one person got out. We ended up staying in our cabin nearly 24/7 for the last 3 days. We even ate room service rather than Windjammer or MDR. While disembarking and chatting to people in line we did find out a small contingent of hogs had decided to use us for 'fun' that week and due to the 'pack mentality' others followed and after a couple of days a decent sized group were looking out for us to 'make good sport'. Thankfully when we got back onboard (as it was B2B) we had an amazing, fantastic 2nd week.

Oh my goodness! That is such a horrible experience. I am so sorry that you and your partner had to endure this. I am glad that you were able to enjoy the second half of your cruise.

That is awful. As the mother, sister and aunt of individuals who are gay stories like that make my heart ache. Here is hoping for the day when you (or anyone) never have to endure behavior like that again. Wishing you nothing but wonderful cruises in your future!

Just so you know we are a lage group of bikers not affiliated with anyone other than our passion for riding and american made motorcycles. Yes we take over the ship but we are held to very high standards far more than the rotten teenagers get away with.

This is actually a charity called Debbies Dialysis fund where our goal is to raise $$$$ to bring dialysis patients on vacation with a partner plus spending money. We have all the equipment onboard with staff for their treatments. Are they bikers with bad kidneys? NO. This is open to anyone all you have to do is ask. We raised 350K last cruise for this year, we have our own shows our own vendor areas. Most passengers get a little put off at first but the vast majority join our fun. First ever ever fireworks on a cruise ship last year and we paid for it. Probably this year again! Our shows at the pool get alot of laughs from all.

Join the fun you will have a good time don't let the tatoos scare you. The majority of us are very affluent people that enjoy being with others that have the same interests. Last year 2300 this year I believe we were limited to 1600. We can easily fill an entire ship but RCCL rules. The crew looks quite forward to our cruise each year.

Just though I'd give you the Real Deal.

It might have been the first fireworks on a RCI cruise ship but Disney has had fireworks at sea for years. If the group is that popular and can fill a ship then chartering the ship for the week sounds like a good idea. I applaud your fund raising efforts.

Edited by cruisingator2

• 4 months later...
How do you find out if a large group is sailing with you?

I've had good luck doing a query on Google using the name of the ship and the sailing date. You may have to use different forms of the date.