Details of Upcoming Coral Drydock???

IECalCruiser

The Coral's 20 day drydock is scheduled to start in less than three weeks on January 18th but I haven't seen details posted by Princess. It appears almost certain that the Horizon Court area will receive a major revision. Does anyone have "official" details of any other changes?

• 2 weeks later...

Just bumping this thread up before we board the Island later today. The Coral drydock is nine days away. Princess should know what they ate doing by now. If staff attends our M&G tomorrow I will ask them as the Island will presumably have the same changes this fall.

Just bumping this thread up before we board the Island later today. The Coral drydock is nine days away. Princess should know what they ate doing by now. If staff attends our M&G tomorrow I will ask them as the Island will presumably have the same changes this fall.
Bon Yoyage Brian. Hope you and Janet have a wonderful cruise.

Drydocks are for maintenance. Refits are for major overhauls of public spaces. I do not believe that either the Island or Coral are schedule for anything other than a regular drydock as they both had biggish refits recently when the Sanctuary was added.
A 20-day drydock is twice as long as needed for routine maintenance. Something major is being done, either structural or reconfigured. The question is, what? Chances are the buffet will be redone but is there anything else?

Beach Fever, we are on that sailing as well and interested in the possible redo of the Horizon in particular.

If the same is done there as on other ships, the result is:

a) A new serving stand outside the tradition serving area. The new stand is used at breakfast for toast, bagels, muffins and waffles. The rest of the day it is used for desserts.

b) The aisles are wider inside the traditional serving area.

c) Food is placed on the islands so it can be accessed from two directions, lessoning congestion. However, having the same food in two places means less food choices.

Dessert counter, Horizon Court on the Star Princess

104a30312DessertcounterHorizonCourtdeck14100_7261_zps76329239.jpg

Horizon Court on the Star Princess

11230312HorizonCourtdeck14100_7290_zps41062e37.jpg

The ship is getting an additional diesel engine installed, similar to what Celebrity did with the Millennium class so that they could reduce the usage of the gas turbine engine and run just the diesels and save on fuel...
I thought they normally run the Island/Coral on diesels, using the gas turbine very sparingly and only under certain conditions. I was on the Coral three years ago when as we sailed from Cartagena, we were asked to join a search for a sunken fishing boat's crew. The Captain used the gas turbine engine in addition to the diesels and we were flying. I went to the front of the ship and was blown back against the bulkhead. It was very hard to stand still without support.

The ship is getting an additional diesel engine installed, similar to what Celebrity did with the Millennium class so that they could reduce the usage of the gas turbine engine and run just the diesels and save on fuel...

Are they removing the gas turbine to make space for the diesel? And, if so, does that mean they'll remove the fake "jet engines" from the aft superstructure? I've heard they are there to highlight the fact the vessel has a gas turbine engine.

R&R a gas turbine for a diesel is a BIG JOB. Where did you get your information?

I have wondered about some of these questions also. But an even bigger question has come up looking for rooms for our March 7 cruise on the Island.

Why, on the Princess site, when you go to look at deck plans, does it ask you if you are sailing before or after May 12, 2013? Is there another drydock scheduled?

Why, on the Princess site, when you go to look at deck plans, does it ask you if you are sailing before or after May 12, 2013? Is there another drydock scheduled?
Princess is re-organizing cabin categories and pricing. It has nothing to do with anything other than based on research and location preferences, Princess is adjusting and re-naming categories.

Princess is re-organizing cabin categories and pricing. It has nothing to do with anything other than based on research and location preferences, Princess is adjusting and re-naming categories.

And that is a question that has come up time after time. It would have been so easy for Princess to just add this information on the web page that asks when you are sailing.

Are they removing the gas turbine to make space for the diesel? And, if so, does that mean they'll remove the fake "jet engines" from the aft superstructure? I've heard they are there to highlight the fact the vessel has a gas turbine engine.

R&R a gas turbine for a diesel is a BIG JOB. Where did you get your information?

Hmmm...I haven't heard that they'd be removing the gas turbine. It's located in the funnel and they would certainly not install a much heavier diesel engine in its place.

It is my understanding that they will be adding some new oceanview cabins on Fiesta deck, apparently in that space right behind the Princess Theater during this drydock...

Hmmm...I haven't heard that they'd be removing the gas turbine. It's located in the funnel and they would certainly not install a much heavier diesel engine in its place.

Yep, that's why I asked Captain Rhone where he got his info. While he may be correct, it just doesn't sound right to me. The mechanical spaces of those ships are packed to the gills. Those diesel engines are monsters. Adding another one is unlikely IMHO.

On our cruise at the first of Dec. at the Captins party he updated us on some future happenings. Of course a lot about the new Royal but he also said that the Coral was getting a new engine. Whether that ment that they were replacing one are adding I do not know.

Archived