Just Booked Norwegian Sun

sonicbuffalo

We postponed a RCCL on the Allure and instead, decided to take the Sun to Columbia, Aruba, Curacao, St. Thomas, and St. Martin. Does anyone have an insights they can give to us newcomers to NCL? We have previously sailed only on Carnival, and figured it was time to branch out and try new lines. We didn't like all the GREAT NEW CHANGES that Carnival has gone to.

Hi, Norwegian Sun is the only NCL ship we've been on. I thought she was a very good size. We did a Back to Back to western Caribbean, booked guaranteed insides and received 2 outsides, so how could we complain! But the cabin we had for the first week was on a very odd deck: forward there was a deck that was only half way along the ship, so only forward, and it was a half flight of stairs down from deck 7 (so like deck 6 1/2). We were ok with that but thought that if someone had mobility issues they would have had a major issue.

I loved the entertainment on Sun, but not sure if they still have the Jean Ryan dancers; plus we had Jane Powell who in my opinion is one of the very best entertainers we've hever had on a cruise ship.

We ate in the MDR and found the food good to very good but not extrordinary. I didn't like the menus at most of the pay-for venues so didn't feel like doing that. Had plenty to eat!

When we sailed, the breakfast buffet had 9 waffle irons going at once and they turned out the best waffles, good and hot! That station had Indian food at the lunch buffet which I loved. And not to miss the Chocoholics buffet one afternoon - I sure hope cutbacks haven't cut that delight.

Both room steward and dining room staff I thought did a better than average job, good service! but they are from all over the world and language barriers were an issue for some guests who thought they were "aloof", but whenever we asked the staff about their family, their county, etc, they were all smiles!

One thing I didn't like about Sun was that there were no deck chairs on the promonade deck, but I found others elsewhere.

Hope you enjoy what sounds like a very nice itinerary. m--

You booked a really nice itinerary on a wonderful ship. We just sailed her last April - it was my husband's first cruise & now he's hooked! Pictures from our trip are in the thread linked to in my signature below. I'm not sure what you liked or disliked about Carnival, so its hard to speak to whether or not you'll find the Sun to be a better fit, but we loved our time on her!

We postponed a RCCL on the Allure and instead, decided to take the Sun to Columbia, Aruba, Curacao, St. Thomas, and St. Martin. Does anyone have an insights they can give to us newcomers to NCL? We have previously sailed only on Carnival, and figured it was time to branch out and try new lines. We didn't like all the GREAT NEW CHANGES that Carnival has gone to.

When is your cruise? We are on 3/20/13. I was on the Sun in 2009 and booked same aft suite. I love a cruise longer than a week.

When is your cruise? We are on 3/20/13. I was on the Sun in 2009 and booked same aft suite. I love a cruise longer than a week.

Our cruise is October 9th....sorry we're not going to be crossing paths but you can post and tell us all about it.....we're counting on you! lol

• 1 month later...

Having sailed on the Carnival Spendor I think your going to find a much more relaxed cruise. From what I've seen and read elsewhere........booze seems to be the over riding factor from Carnival passengers. Never saw so many rude drunks on any other ship (7 so far). While the food, decor and staff were OK the passenger make up would prevent my wife and I from ever sailing with Carnival again.

Now on NCL we've sailed on the Norwegian Spirit (twice), the Norwegian Star and the Pride of Aloha.....we just booked a 2013 cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage in late August on the Norwegian Sun. We also like the smaller ships. The mega ships may be great especially if you have kids but we like the smaller ones. Seem more personal and easier to get around. (we're in our early seventies).

Again, I think your in for a great trip. :)

Congrats, have a great time.

We recently returned from the very same itinerary on the Sun...absolutely loved it. It ranks right up there as one of our favorite cruises...and this was #17 for us (second on NCL).

The crew is fantastic. I believe you will enjoy this one!

Let me know if you have any questions.

I'm REALLY jealous man! Columbia, Aruba, and Curacao in one cruise is crazy! I sure do want to do that itinerary but I'll probably never get to take that much time off at one time from work. I can't wait to hear about it and I know you'll have a great time!

Our cruise is October 9th....sorry we're not going to be crossing paths but you can post and tell us all about it.....we're counting on you! lol

Hi!

We are on the Oct 9 cruise too. I was reading your posts on other threads and can understand your apprehension. But you will enjoy NCL! We have a roll call going so come over and join it.:)

I feel much like you. After five Carnival cruises, (and all of them really nice cruises, but the last one started to show some decrease in things I liked, ie entertainment, as well as inconsistencies in service). When it came time to plan my next cruise, I decided it was time to branch out as you say and try something new. I too chose NCL. Freestyle appeals to me, as I like the freedom to dine when I choose, and to dress up a bit if I want or not to.

I cant give you any insight yet, as my only cruise on NCL was in 1999, and my upcoming one is in November this year. But I understand your wish to change lines, and I do hope to cruise Carnival again someday, but have to try a different option or two first. I feel optomistic though that I will be hooked after my next cruise. :)

We recently returned from the very same itinerary on the Sun...absolutely loved it. It ranks right up there as one of our favorite cruises...and this was #17 for us (second on NCL).

Yes....can you e-mail me at sonicbuffalo at yahoo dot com? I will very much appreciate any insights! Thanks!

Go to the Roll Call board for October 9! There are a few of us there already. DH and I did all ports except Curaçao. We never pay for cruise tours and had a great time in Cartegena.

Risa

I'm REALLY jealous man! Columbia, Aruba, and Curacao in one cruise is crazy! I sure do want to do that itinerary but I'll probably never get to take that much time off at one time from work. I can't wait to hear about it and I know you'll have a great time!

We tend to book cruises based on itinerary and this one sold us for sure. We are booked for this March and will give everyone a review. I will tell you- once you cruise past 7 days- you will never want to go back. Day 7 is when the real "chill factor" kicks in :)

I'm just sorry we have to wait until October....but wish you and your DW could join us!

My DW is a little leary about Cartagena....how was your stop there and did you feel like it was ok to get out and about around the city? What did you do there?

Sonicbuffalo-I sent you an e-mail about Cartagena. Did you receive it?

Don't be afraid to get off the ship-you will miss a beautiful city. We did a private tour with Dora....wonderful day! I highly recommend her.

Archived