Transportation from Houston Hobby to Galveston Port

beezercatz

We are a family of 6 and were travelling from Hobby to Galveston. I booked Executive Transport Limo's and found their service fantastic.

They were quick to respond to emails and were on time both at pick up from the airport and on the return trip picking up us from Galveston cruise terminal.

Each way was $150 but divided amongst 6 of us it was cheaper than catching a taxi or using the cruise line transfers.

I highly recommend this company. I used them on March 2nd 2013 and returned with them March 10th 2013.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from trip.

We used a taxi round trip from Hobby to Galveston pier and cost is about $105 each way not including tip. The taxi's are mostly mini-vans and SUV type and can easily handle up to 6 people depending on luggage. Very easy to use, the taxi stand is just across from the baggage claim. At the pier the are down at the far right of the terminal building. Just jump in and go. Highly recommend.

Just got back from trip.

We used a taxi round trip from Hobby to Galveston pier and cost is about $105 each way not including tip. The taxi's are mostly mini-vans and SUV type and can easily handle up to 6 people depending on luggage. Very easy to use, the taxi stand is just across from the baggage claim. At the pier the are down at the far right of the terminal building. Just jump in and go. Highly recommend.

I would also recommend a plain old taxi. Took a taxi from hobby to four points by Sheraton in Galveston and it was a flat rate of $100 (plus tip). I originally had a town car reserved from extreme elegance and they never showed. My flight was about 15 mins late. They were supposed to call me on my way to baggage claim. I waited 15 minutes after collecting my luggage and still no call, so I called them and they said "we tried to call but no one answered". I told them my flight was a few mins late and my phone was obviously turned off during flight. They said to wait 10 mins and they would have someone there, so I waited another 20 mins and no one ever showed so I just said heck with it and jumped in a cab.

So I learned two things. Obviously Extreme Elegance doesn't track your flights, and a plain old taxi is just so much more convenient and worry free.

• 2 months later...
Intercontinental (IAH) is located on the north side of Houston and is 70 miles from the cruise port in Galveston. Going rate seems to be $70/each one way for a limo but can be adjusted with more pax sharing the ride.

Hobby (HOU) is on the near south side of Houston and is 40 miles from the cruise port. Going rate seems to be $40/each one way. Prices vary of course by limo company etc.

Hmm.. a little help then. I can's find anything for less than $55 each one way. What limo service offers $40?

I have a client flying into HOU that is saliing on Disney... they stopped offering ground transport from HOU .... :(

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest a cruise line transfer. We also had a private transfer arranged with a company called airport transportation don't use them!! The owner is a smooth talker and will try to talk him self out of any jam. Paid for a private ride then told me had to be shared? Got me to the ship but not without unneeded anxiety.

I would suggest a cruise line transfer. We also had a private transfer arranged with a company called airport transportation don't use them!! The owner is a smooth talker and will try to talk him self out of any jam. Paid for a private ride then told me had to be shared? Got me to the ship but not without unneeded anxiety.

With the recent spike in gas prices, I checked with a taxi/limo service from Hobby; Internet listed $85 for a transfer, when I called they said the price was $120. We chose Disney transfers from Bush for our October cruise - not cheap, but at least the price is guaranteed and the service is dependable.

We are considering cruising out of Galveston for a Caribbean on the Navigator and have been reading the Post. My main question if we fly into Bush, do you recommend staying in Houston then transferring to the Port in the morning, or staying in Galveston & what Hotel would you recommend .

We are considering cruising out of Galveston for a Caribbean on the Navigator and have been reading the Post. My main question if we fly into Bush, do you recommend staying in Houston then transferring to the Port in the morning, or staying in Galveston & what Hotel would you recommend .

Depending on what day/time you are flying in it might be better to stay be he airport and catch a shuttle down to the island the morning of the cruise. It is about 75 miles (give or take a car length) from the ajrport to the pier. And depending on day and time of day that can mean a sitting in traffic for a while. Unless you need/really want to be on the island the night before there are plenty of hotels with airport shuttles near IAH. (I have done this in Miami and Tampa, fly in night before,stay at airport hotel,return to airport day of cruise and take cruise transportatiom to port.).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

Tucker Dave We would be coming in the day before the cruise from Palm Springs, CA, so we would be arriving fairly early, probably before Noon. Our plans are not set yet but looking at 2015 and want to do a Christmas/NY's cruise so a lot depends on what kind of itineraries will be offered then. Friends of ours are also interested in doing this same trip but we would be flying in separately as they live 1n hour from us. Thank you for your information and suggestions.:)

I am in the same "boat" as it were, in needing to find transportation from Hobby to Galveston on the day of my cruise, and cruise line transfers are not an option (Disney only provides transfers from Bush). I think I'll be going with Execucar, for the two of us, it priced online at $110 (plus tip).

For those taking a cruise from Galveston, has anyone contacted

Galveston Limo

http://galvestonlimousineservice.com/

Looks like they run mini-bus and motor coach to many locations in Galveston County

I just looked them up, for my date, it would be cutting it closer than I would like, plus I'd be sitting at the airport for over an hour. I want to get my luggage and go.

We are sailing out of Galveston 2-23-14, flying in the day before, which is during Galveston's Mardi Gras (2-21 thru 3-4). Everyone I talked to, hotels in both Hobby area & Galveston, Super Shuttle and a co-worker (she's from Houston) said travel time will be twice as long than normal, even from the airports. Because of this info we switched our hotel from Hobby area to Galveston. The hotels in Galveston are normally 5-15 minutes from the port so would take 10-30 minutes. From Hobby could be a 1 1/2 to 2+ hour drive. Same thing when we go back.

Something to take into consideration. I would rather take that long the day before rather than day of......what if there are traffic delays.

We are sailing out of Galveston 2-23-14, flying in the day before, which is during Galveston's Mardi Gras (2-21 thru 3-4). Everyone I talked to, hotels in both Hobby area & Galveston, Super Shuttle and a co-worker (she's from Houston) said travel time will be twice as long than normal, even from the airports. Because of this info we switched our hotel from Hobby area to Galveston. The hotels in Galveston are normally 5-15 minutes from the port so would take 10-30 minutes. From Hobby could be a 1 1/2 to 2+ hour drive. Same thing when we go back.

Something to take into consideration. I would rather take that long the day before rather than day of......what if there are traffic delays.

I dont know where the 2+hr drive from Hobby comes from. It is all interstste from the airport to the island. It will not double travel time from the airports to the island (IAH is also interstates from the island). The way to the ships (when on the island from the mainland) can easly avoid the downtown area and any mardi gras stuff. Most of the parades are in the evening anyway if i am not mistaken. Nothing to worry about. You simply take I45 to Harbor drive right to the ship. About the only things you will see is the port stuff and maybe a few drilling rigs, trains etc. You will reach the cruise ship and parking lots before you reach the historic downtown area.

I dont know where the 2+hr drive from Hobby comes from. It is all interstste from the airport to the island. It will not double travel time from the airports to the island (IAH is also interstates from the island). The way to the ships (when on the island from the mainland) can easly avoid the downtown area and any mardi gras stuff. Most of the parades are in the evening anyway if i am not mistaken. Nothing to worry about.

Are you from there? I only repeated what I was told by the "locals" yesterday.

Yes I live in the Houston area. I go down to the island every few weeks to del chemicals for the offshore operations so I am in the area of the cruise ship dock quite often.

Ok.......so is Mardi Gras as bad as I've been hearing? My friend says it is and I can only go by the people I've talked to. Hotels I talked to in Galveston all told me "double the time".

Yes I live in the Houston area. I go down to the island every few weeks to del chemicals for the offshore operations so I am in the area of the cruise ship dock quite often.

The drive from the airports they said would likely be 1.5 hrs from Hobby & 2 from IAH. Either way we are going down when we fly in the day before.

I live here and, unless a major wreck, Hobby is not 2 hours from Galveston. It's 40 miles.

What time are you arriving at Hobby? Can give you a better estimate then.

That first weekend, the parades are on Seawall, though there will be Mardi Gras things going on downtown.

The following weekend is the "big" weekend with parades on Seawall to Downtown on Saturday, Sunday will have the children's parade and Krewe of Barkus & Meow on Seawall. There will still be activities downtown, but much quieter after Saturday night. This weekend would have an estimated 250,000-300,00 people, depending on weather.

Leaving the ship to go to Hobby will not be a problem on Sunday morning - no one is up early.

I live here and, unless a major wreck, Hobby is not 2 hours from Galveston. It's 40 miles.

What time are you arriving at Hobby? Can give you a better estimate then.

That first weekend, the parades are on Seawall, though there will be Mardi Gras things going on downtown.

The following weekend is the "big" weekend with parades on Seawall to Downtown on Saturday, Sunday will have the children's parade and Krewe of Barkus & Meow on Seawall. There will still be activities downtown, but much quieter after Saturday night. This weekend would have an estimated 250,000-300,00 people, depending on weather.

Leaving the ship to go to Hobby will not be a problem on Sunday morning - no one is up early.

I was quoted 2 hrs from IAH not Hobby. We arrive 3:00 pm in Hobby on Saturday. So dinner in Galveston Sat night could be quite busy then?

Either time was over estimated.

I assume you are renting a car. By the time you get your luggage and car, you on the road will be 4pm.

Don't know where you are staying as I could give directions where you may avoid traffic once on the island.

Restaurants not on the Seawall would be your best bet.

If you are willing to say which hotel, will give you some ideas.

Either time was over estimated.

I assume you are renting a car. By the time you get your luggage and car, you on the road will be 4pm.

Don't know where you are staying as I could give directions where you may avoid traffic once on the island.

Restaurants not on the Seawall would be your best bet.

If you are willing to say which hotel, will give you some ideas.

We are taking Super Shuttle, there are 8 of us. We plan to use a taxi for dinner & a stop at the Wal Mart.

Archived