Century News is Out!

M.S JAZO

If memory serves me correctly,there is no place on the Century for music such as a quartet, much like the Cova Cafe on the MIllie class ships. The Cova Cafe has usually been a place where one enjoys soft-style/classical music.

Anita

I have to disagree. We were on Century in February, and in the early evening before the main seating, there were musicians playing live musice in the Cova Cafe. And sometimes, a person was playing the piano there - and other times, the piano was making like a player piano.

SkySweet, it's a small world. We also did the Leonardo da Vinci cruise for our Honeymoon back in March 1974. I don't think I have the passenger list any longer, but I still have the photos of the cruise and shaking hands with the Captain.

Diana

Hi Evoni.....It certainly is a small world. We took the same ship for our honeymoons during the seventies and will be on the same Baltic Cruise next June :)

LEONARDO DA VINCI was my very first cruise ship! I was only 12 years old and it was around 1978. I remember all the details pretty well, and especially that I absolutely loved the ship. Our cabin was Lido Deck #9, an outside upper/lower berth. That wonderful ship turned me into the ship nut I am today! I sure wish she was still around ... to this day I think she is the most beautiful looking ship I've ever laid eyes on. Not a box like the ships built today.

Ernie

Hi Ernie :)

It was also our first cruise but, needless to say, if I was on my honeymoon during the middle seventies, I am a few years older than you are :)

I agree with you about the classic beauty of the S/S Leonardo da Vinci, compared to the boxy ships that have been built in recent years. It was also wonderful to be able to take a cruise to St Maarten and St Thomas during March, without having to fly. At that time, we were living in New York City and simply took a cab from our apartment in Manhatan to the Port of New York. Then four days later we arrived in St Maartin after enjoying several wonderful sea days.

I haven't been on CC for awhile. In January we took our first X cruise on Century and loved it. So, we decided on 4/24/06......Century after drydock. After noticing it had disappeared from the website, I began calling X. Oh, not to worry......cruise is still on. Yesterday, I called again.....still, not to worry cruise is still on. My friend Toni advised me that it had been cancelled and sent me a copy of the article in this thread. I knew they must be giving me a bunch of bull.

I got home last night and had a voice mail....cruise is cancelled. We can go prior to April 9, if available with a $200 shipboard credit. I think we are glad to have experienced Century. The food and service were excellent, but we have already booked HAL for Jan 06.

We are not interested in 4 or 5 day cruising....especially flying to Florida from New Mexico. These boards have been great and very informative.

I haven't been on CC for awhile. In January we took our first X cruise on Century and loved it. So, we decided on 4/24/06......Century after drydock. After noticing it had disappeared from the website, I began calling X. Oh, not to worry......cruise is still on. Yesterday, I called again.....still, not to worry cruise is still on. My friend Toni advised me that it had been cancelled and sent me a copy of the article in this thread. I knew they must be giving me a bunch of bull.

I got home last night and had a voice mail....cruise is cancelled. We can go prior to April 9, if available with a $200 shipboard credit. I think we are glad to have experienced Century. The food and service were excellent, but we have already booked HAL for Jan 06.

We are not interested in 4 or 5 day cruising....especially flying to Florida from New Mexico. These boards have been great and very informative.

Hi PJSugg :)

Since you live in the southwest, have you ever considered taking the Mexican Riviera Cruise that leaves from San Diego on Century's Sister Ship, the Mercury. We took that cruise this past winter and loved it :)

I don't that is realistic - the ships are too big for that select target market. The yields would be too low and I think if they positioned themselves in that manner there would be other formidible competitors. With ships of CC's size you have to expand your customer base - I think that is why you see them making renovations to their ships - a more mature, slightly upscale alternative to Royal.

In many ways I think that is Celebrity's main challenge. Families are the fastest growing segment of the cruise industry's customer base. However, it seems Celebrity's core customer base is not in love with cruising with families - it is a delicate balancing act.

As there was some debate regarding the positioning of the "sponson" or "sponson's" between Mel and myself, I took the liberty to contact Mr. Miorelli, Royal Caribbean's Senior Naval Architect. He replied to my email today.

As I assumed from his original quote, I was correct in concluding that the sponson will be a single 200-ton piece, not two pieces that will run along the sides as Mel suspected. Mr. Miorelli informed me the single piece will be fitted around the stern, and it will also partially wrap around the aft sides of the ship as well. This was exactly as I imagined. I don't know what the finished product will look like, but judging from other ships with these added "ducktails", I'm not expecting a future beauty queen. ;)

Mystery solved.

Ernie

Ernie,

Where will the specialty dining room be placed? And, will it effect the Crystal Room, one of my favorite spots on the ship.

I think they should have put it in the Sky Bar.

barbon2, Century is classically elegant. That's why some of us are leary of the make-it-more-like-Millennium tone of the press release.

jsea, you haven't sailed the Century. Maybe try it before the changes and see if you share a feeling of classic elegance that some of us feel.

jsea, you haven't sailed the Century. Maybe try it before the changes and see if you share a feeling of classic elegance that some of us feel.
I would love to but the family can't stomach any more Caribbean and we already have something planned on Princess this summer (put together in a rush after Radisson sold Diamond on us :mad: :D no biggie) so no chance of catching her pre-renovations. That being said, I have always appreciated her even in photos, especially some of your favorite spots like the Grand Restaurant. She and Galaxy are on our radar for next summer (but itinerary trumps almost everything for us).

I think unfortunately that in order to draw the appropriate number of pax, the older ships of most lines have to update. Many of the older ships that have not updated end up doing 3 or 4 day quickie cruises and draw a completely different demorgraphic group, and then are sold off to some second rate line overseas. This is not just on Celebrity but on many of the lines. People want to sail on newer, more updated ships, just as many of us elect to stay in newer more updated hotels, etc. Even with the latter, many of the old worldy hotels spend millions on renovations in order to attract consumers to their facility. If ships do not upgrade then they get the reputation as being old and worn. So yes I do like the classic elegance of the Century, but in order for the Century to remain as a ship that attracts passengers, they have to update. This may not necessarily mean taking away the classic elegance (I think all X ships have an elegant and classic feel), it may just keep the Century "afloat" and not allow it to be one of those "old" vessels.

Barbara

Mr. Miorelli informed me the single piece will be fitted around the stern, and it will also partially wrap around the aft sides of the ship as well. This was exactly as I imagined. I don't know what the finished product will look like, but judging from other ships with these added "ducktails", I'm not expecting a future beauty queen. ;)

Mystery solved.

Ernie

Thanks Ernie.

This doesn't sound like the "ducktails" of which I'm familiar either, which I don't recall actually wrapping around the sides of the ships. With your clarifications, this sounds to me like a combination of the designs both you and I envisioned: not exactly the ducktail we've seen used in the past but not the monstrocities added to Atlantic either. This is probably why Celebrity was so "thrilled" with the design since they feel they've arrived at a solution that serves the purpose of the sponsons I expected in a design just a bit more bulky than what you were picturing. UGLY, but not nearly as ugly as what I was expecting. Let's hope it works.

I'm delighted with the news especially the addition of the specialty restaurant. That was the main reason i wouldn't sail her again after sailing on the Summit. Has anyone heard anything about them renovating furnishing in the rooms. Sailed in the Penthouse suite last summer and it definately needed a freshening. There is a good article right on the criuse critic site and it explains where all these new things are being added. Let me know if any news on redecorating.

Ernie,

Where will the specialty dining room be placed? And, will it effect the Crystal Room, one of my favorite spots on the ship.

I think they should have put it in the Sky Bar.

barbon2, Century is classically elegant. That's why some of us are leary of the make-it-more-like-Millennium tone of the press release.

The specialty restaurant will be off the lobby. Below is a quote from the news article given out by Cruise Critic the other day.

A specialty restaurant -- now considered a standard amenity on most mainstream cruise ships -- will also debut onboard, located off the main lobby (a seating area will be sacrificed to make room). While no theme has been set yet, the ambience is expected to mirror that of, say, Constellation's Ocean Liners -- intimate, romantic dining with table-side cooking ... and a delectable Michel Roux menu.

Thanks for the idea of the Mexican Riviera. Yes, we have considered it, but we really can just go to many places in Mexico inexpensively. We have loved the cruising in places not as close.

I am happy they are sending Century to drydock. I just did not appreciate them keeping it such a secret while it was off the website....and most of all I really don't think that doing the short cruises after such a significant amount of $$$$ to upgrade the ship makes sense. But, they have their own ideas and they could be right on. It just will not work for us.

Sky Sweet, you are right, we can take four day cruises out of San Diego anytime we want. And we just might do that.

PJ

A specialty restaurant -- now considered a standard amenity on most mainstream cruise ships -- will also debut onboard, located off the main lobby (a seating area will be sacrificed to make room). While no theme has been set yet, the ambience is expected to mirror that of, say, Constellation's Ocean Liners -- intimate, romantic dining with table-side cooking ... and a delectable Michel Roux menu.

Good location. Thanks for info.

The specialty restaurant doesn't need a theme. Hopefully, it will be designed by Birch Coffee in a way that is consistent with the Century's style.

We are new to cruising and have been on the Infinity. We have a Med cruise in August and wonder what we will miss. We loved the Infinity.
First question would be what kind of cabin you had on the Infinity and what kind you've booked for Century. There's a bit of a gap between the C-Class ships' Category 1 and those of the M-Class ships. In fact, there are a number of differences in cabins that distinguish these ship types.

On the minus side -- Specialty restaurant is missing, and the T-Pool will be at extra charge unless you're in a suite. No spa grill. Apart from that, I think you'll be surprised at what similarities there are between them overall. Our first cruises with Celebrity were on Galaxy, and then we started sailing on the Millennium class ships. We already had a very good feel for where most things (except the golf simulator, which was cleverly hidden on Galaxy!) could be found.

If it weren't for the lack of cabins similar to M-Class Cat1 (CC) cabins, and especially the aft CC cabins, we'd be just as happy on Galaxy or Century. As it is, we have to book a Sky Suite on those ships to avoid taking a hit in both interior and exterior space compared to our accustomed accomodations on the M-Class ships. One alternative is to book the FO cabin and give up the veranda.

Ever try to contact Celebrity customer service?

You will quickly find yourself entrapped in the very same customer service organization for Royal Caribbean. I soon realized I was no longer being "Treated Famously" anymore and was just another itinerary number to parent RCI. It felt very much like mass market treatment to me.

You will quickly find yourself entrapped in the very same customer service organization for Royal Caribbean. I soon realized I was no longer being "Treated Famously" anymore and was just another itinerary number to parent RCI. It felt very much like mass market treatment to me.

Their CS has always been a problem with many complaints on these boards both pre RCI and post RCI.

Sorry for troubling you.

Yes, I HAVE read the many posts lamenting the same issue I raised here. I mostly brushed these complaints off too, but when I experienced it firsthand during and after my last Celebrity cruise they almost lost a loyal repeat customer.

My point, in case you didn't get it, is that Celebrity is behaving very mass market when it comes to certain aspects of customer service, and this isn't necessarily consistent with their marketing and how you're treated during the the cruise experience itself.

Thanks Don! You saved me the trouble of responding. ;)

We are new to cruising and have been on the Infinity. We have a Med cruise in August and wonder what we will miss. We loved the Infinity.

My stance would be that it was made in a different time in the cruise industry and represented a lot of new signatures for Celebrity. IMO, this was made to be a great ship. She certainly in many ways is a very individual ship.

The major additions to the Millennium class, and Infinity is basically a copy of the Millennium, from the Century class, is a) more stateroom choices b) specialty restaurant c) spa food. All of the other major areas are versions from the Century class. If you spent a lot of time in your stateroom and if it is a high priority, if the specialty restaurant is a high priority, then indeed you may miss these features.

Century has aspects that the Infinity doesn't. It has one more lounge/club/atmosphere that features much passenger interaction. It has more private-feeling deck areas. Even though you pay for the thellasotherapy pool the experience for some of us feels more "special" because it is more private and more peaceful and the jets are stronger. Some feel that service is more personalized on this ship vs. the bigger ships and food quality is higher. Also, the public areas are designed to stimulate passenger interaction in "destination" spaces, where the Millennium ships are designed for excellent throughput. IMO, no other Celebrity ship's main restaurant matches the magnificence and style of the Century's. Millennium (and it is very similar on all of her sister's but not similar on Century's sisters) is in a similar style and is lovely, but the details aren't quite as classic.

So, you can look at the Century as a ship that many Celebrity fans think is their most special and endearing, and see if find her that way. I think if you feel you are going to miss something, you may.

We were unimpressed with a lack of consistent quality at the corporate CS desk long before RCI took over. I'm not sure it's really become any more difficult to get an answer, a correct answer, and the same answer twice.

The only folks that I've had to deal with that followed through and really had their act together were the post-cruise billing folks. Tedious process, but carefully conducted.

I've read reading this thread all week and am puzzled by the comments that people dont think Celebrity is mass market, specifically Century. Talk to any TA off the record and they will confirm the mass market competition outsells this ship at actual average perdiems significantly higher than Century. People vote with their feet, it is supply and demand, People don't always fall for marketing .

Archived