Booked Sun For October - What Should We Expect?

sonicbuffalo

We just booked the NCL Sun for an 11 day cruise going to Cartagena, Columbia, Aruba, Curacao, St. Marteen, and St. Thomas. We've been to all the islands but have never been to Columbia. My question is more about how does the NCL Sun compare to Carnival? We went on The Carnival Miracle and it seems like it is a comparable size to the Sun, but we're more concerned and interested in the shows on the Sun. Does the Sun have a large theater like the Carnival ships? Does it have the same type of shows? Is the food comparable? Any and all questions you can answer will be helpful. Thanks for all your responses.

If you do a search on Cruise Critic, you will see the Sun is a beloved ship by many of us. The crew is wonderful. Love this ship. Have been on her 23 nights on two different, very special, sailings to South America and the Baltic.

Yes, there is a theater and there are production shows. The food is much better than Carnival.

The main theater is at the back of the ship on 6 &7. It also has some small chairs and cocktail tables in the very first few rows. The kids club is at the front on 7 and they also have like a half deck of rooms between 6 & 7 at the front of the ship. There is a Great Outdoors aft behind the buffet.

We did a B2B on the Sun Jan/12, Eastern, Western . For me the ship was awesome, the crew was great, food very good. Lot's of happy people.

We did 2 specialty resturant's , Le bistro, Filet, one of the best i ever had.

Moderno-- bring your appetite, don't fill up on the salad bar, but you could.

After a few day's it felt like you were at your favorite bar, resort. Would sail on her again in a heartbeat.

On reading your post, i had a little chuckle. We are doing a 15-day on the Miracle, this September, to Hawaii., can't wait.

Enjoy the Sun, and have fun.

We just booked the NCL Sun for an 11 day cruise going to Cartagena, Columbia, Aruba, Curacao, St. Marteen, and St. Thomas. We've been to all the islands but have never been to Columbia. My question is more about how does the NCL Sun compare to Carnival? We went on The Carnival Miracle and it seems like it is a comparable size to the Sun, but we're more concerned and interested in the shows on the Sun. Does the Sun have a large theater like the Carnival ships? Does it have the same type of shows? Is the food comparable? Any and all questions you can answer will be helpful. Thanks for all your responses.

I am interested in this thread as well....I have my eye on this very same itinerary next year. One of the best out of FL it seems.

I live in the Ral-Durham area as well OP..and I enjoyed the Miracle. Cruising on her sister ship Legend in 3 weeks! I have read many reviews of the Sun...sounds promising---as I have never cruised NCL before. Looking forward to trying hopefully.:)

Bump

John in NC

Hey John Boy and fellow NCL's. I was wondering too, if they served Filet Mignon, lobster, and prime rib in the 'complimentary' restaurants? I kind of get a little ticked when I hear it called 'complimentary'. I mean we pay for the food when we book a cruise, don't we? It's not complimentary, it's food that's expected to be decent quality without having to purchase a specialty restaurant fare. NCL needs to rephrase their terms in that regard.

The Sun is my favorite ship I have sailed so far (8). I am pleased to be back on in March for this itinerary.

I prefer freestyle. So NCL has the edge. However, there are many similarities between the mainstream lines.

When did the Sun have it's last refurb? We're also interested in this cruise next January.

Howdy neighbors - we live in Cary.

About a year as I recall (2011). Not much in changes other than the cooking light restaurant became Moderno.

Hey John Boy and fellow NCL's. I was wondering too, if they served Filet Mignon, lobster, and prime rib in the 'complimentary' restaurants? I kind of get a little ticked when I hear it called 'complimentary'. I mean we pay for the food when we book a cruise, don't we? It's not complimentary, it's food that's expected to be decent quality without having to purchase a specialty restaurant fare. NCL needs to rephrase their terms in that regard.

Yes, lobster, steak etc is served in the complimentary restaurants, or whatever you wish to call them. Each ship has at least 4, if not more, of these venues as well as 5 or 6 specialty venues which range from $10 to $25 pp. You can eat in a different location each night and still not try them all. It is nice to have the option even if you don't choose to go. We choose to eat at the specialty dining rooms at least 2 or 3 times each cruise as we enjoy the food and the experience. And, IMO, they are a fantastic value. In a land based restaurant, your bill would be well over $100 and probably closer to $200.

We have not sailed Carnival in several years, but I most often hear that NCL is tops in entertainment. You will find live entertainment all over the ship as well as in the theatre.

Yes, lobster, steak etc is served in the complimentary restaurants, or whatever you wish to call them. Each ship has at least 4, if not more, of these venues as well as 5 or 6 specialty venues which range from $10 to $25 pp. You can eat in a different location each night and still not try them all. It is nice to have the option even if you don't choose to go. We choose to eat at the specialty dining rooms at least 2 or 3 times each cruise as we enjoy the food and the experience. And, IMO, they are a fantastic value. In a land based restaurant, your bill would be well over $100 and probably closer to $200.

We have not sailed Carnival in several years, but I most often hear that NCL is tops in entertainment. You will find live entertainment all over the ship as well as in the theatre.

Specialty restaurants are now $15 to $25 a person.

There are good steak options in the MDR for lunch and dinner everyday. However, if you want a superior cut, you would want to pay for Cagney's and/or Le Bistro. As the Stardust Theater goes, because it has a cocktail set up and the stage isn't super deep, the shows are a little smaller in scale, but good. Norwegian is known for quality entertainment.

I'm booked on the 12-night on Jan 22, 2014 that adds in Tortola. I'm glad to hear all the positive word. I hope you enjoy Norwegian.

John

There are good steak options in the MDR for lunch and dinner everyday. However, if you want a superior cut, you would want to pay for Cagney's and/or Le Bistro. As the Stardust Theater goes, because it has a cocktail set up and the stage isn't super deep, the shows are a little smaller in scale, but good. Norwegian is known for quality entertainment.

I'm booked on the 12-night on Jan 22, 2014 that adds in Tortola. I'm glad to hear all the positive word. I hope you enjoy Norwegian.

John

Thanks John! Much appreciated!

Archived