Favorite Seabourn Dishes

Paminflorida

Oh.....the table side prep of steak tartare which we enjoyed on two previous cruises.Best steak tartare ever!!!

I will second this comment. The steak tartare is fabulous--especially when you have the great Seabourn french fries with it. Can't wait to get some in two months when we will be on the Spirit.

-Barry

On our cruise in May we were in Le Havre overnight when we had the steak tartare. Instead of french fries we bought the WORLDS BEST EVER baguette and enjoyed that along with a bottle of Pomerol during an earlier port stop in Bordeaux. It will be hard to top that meal!

Bizarrely, ourt of all the gourmet foods on offer, one of my favourite dishes is their Mushroom Soup! I have been well and truly spoilt by such a humble dish that I am always disappointed when trying to find something that even gets close... The Soufle for desert is pretty damn good as well, not to mention the fondue when they do the galley kitchen, absolutely fantastic!

Despite protestations to the contrary, after 10 cruises on 4 of the ships in the last 8 years with one booked, I still find the food extraordinarily good - almost always. Fish is no longer their forte and the bread sticks were different 5 yars ago but that's about all that comes to mind.

Anyway, thanks all for these reminders which I've printed in PDF form to takw with me - one gets old enough to forget everything. I'd forgotten how many other items can be ordered with a little notice. The steak tartare, the (often thawed but still very good) raspberries on call are amongst my favourites and the strip steak on the fallback menu has never failed me. Too many other things I like to offset the occasional not so good thing and with a smidgin less salt at times the hot soups are always good.

Am in trouble with Sailor Boy for not mentioning some of his favorite SB dishes. He adores the beef wellington, the the parade of creme brûlées, and the mussels when just bought from the market. But his all time favorite, which is only occasionally offered at the Galley market lunch, is the soft shell crabs.

Pardon my ignorance but where/when/with whom do you place these special orders? We are new to cruising and sailed for the first time in June 2012 (Spirit) - we LOVED everything and have 2 more cruises booked. However, it is only since our cruise (and reading this message board) that I have learned of all the things we missed - like the Galley Lunch. Now, back to kicking myself!!

The best thing to do I find is during dinner in the Restauranttell your waiter you are thinking of ordering something special for some future evening and would they be so good as to send over the Senior Assistant Maitre'd so you may discuss the matter. Usually once dinner is well under way and things have quieted down a bit he will come over to our table and we discuss what I have in mind. Usually he says it should not be a problem and we then discuss what night would be best. I always try to steer clear of formal nights( we often dine with one of the officers and it is awkward to be eating something off menu with a group of people looking on) and the night of the Chef's dinner( they serve so many courses that evening I don't think it is right to muck up the works). Anyway, your request is usually brought up the next morning at the meeting the senior dining crew have with the chef and if there is any problem( such as something just is not available) they will let you know right away. Also, I try not to make more than a couple of special requests each cruise -- don't want to wear out my welcome!

I also find that lunch time is great for a special request meal, for 1 or 10. It'a quieter and the chef will most often come out and chat. If you are not Trivia Players, you can go earlier and spend a very leisurely time in a most relaxed atmosphere. Then there is time for a nap!

Thanks Chairsin and JaneBP - perhaps I'll wait a cruise or two until I have found a 'special favourite'. We ate in the MDR most nights and thoroughly enjoyed all we were offered. The most memorable dish for me was the White Tomato Soup.....which reminds me, I must look for a recipe. We are on the Sojourn Feb 18th, I shall certainly be looking out for the Galley Lunch after reading about it here.

If you ask the Maitre d', or at the Pursers' office, they will print out the recipe for you. If there is a cooking demo, the white tomato soup is often on the 'menu'.

You can also have a 'special' meal with new friends. One of my favorite things is to have a 'Curry Luncheon' where I invite new friends who like curry and then let the chef have full reins to prepare whatever he wants, but I always include a vegetarian option and mulligatawney soup. That's my favorite. I always bring a pack of invitations to use, but the Purser will print up invitations for you. And be sure to ask for a printed menu, such as the one for the Chef's dinner, so you can remember what you had. Let the sommelier know so s/he can suggest a wine. That sounds complicated, but trust me, it's easy-peasy. and you don't have the washing up to do.

Than you! I have been so sad that illness has kept me from cruising last year. I am looking forward to the Pride cruise in July, lots of time for sitting at the SkyBar in new warm gear and the occasional Trivia game. Fingers crossed.

I am dieting furiously so I can eat whatever I want on my March Sojourn cruise on the Amazon River. I have searched the blogs and came up with a list of your favorites - caviar and fries, fresh peas, Nigerian shrimp, breadsticks, goat cheese souffle, tempura onion rings, Strawberries Madagasgar, Peking duck and Bananas Foster. Anything else I can't miss? Also, does anyone know who the chef will be on the Sojourn in March and any special dishes he's known for? Thanks!

Tableside: Steak Diane (skip the on menu version imo), Steak Tartar, Crepes Suzette,

Made elsewhere:onion rings (tempura onions) and breadsticks.

I wasn't impressed with the fries (have had better tasting/prepared parm fries many other places), the goat cheese souffle (bland with a hint of garlic), Nigerian shrimp (sometimes too much hype is a bad thing I guess). Food being food, it's all in the tongue and nose of the taster ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Next to our fellow passengers, the food in the main dining room was the highlight of our cruise. Ignoring the numerous service issues that occurred and the infighting amongst the staff, the food was really good. Not as good as the Four Seasons or a two Michelin star locale, but I was very happy. Two dishes that stood out were the rack of lamb and the escargot.

The quality of the lamb was exquisite and it was prepared to perfection. I frequently order this dish at home and when I travel, so for Seabourn's to stand out in my memory really says something.

The escargot was also delicious. To be honest, I consume this dish very infrequently - it's so rarely on menus these days. Nonetheless, I don't know how one could make it better. Truly outstanding.

• 1 month later...

Mmmm, this. Thread is making me hungry!!

Well here I go,

Almond croissants, caviar, breadsticks, French fries, cheese souffle, tuna sashimi and noodles, tableside steak Diane, strawbs Madagascar, grand mariner souffles, to name a few, gosh I'm missing them,time for a cruise!!!

• 2 months later...
Thanks Chairsin and JaneBP - perhaps I'll wait a cruise or two until I have found a 'special favourite'. We ate in the MDR most nights and thoroughly enjoyed all we were offered. The most memorable dish for me was the White Tomato Soup.....which reminds me, I must look for a recipe. We are on the Sojourn Feb 18th, I shall certainly be looking out for the Galley Lunch after reading about it here.

Just wondering if you ever found the recipe for White Tomato Soup?

Just wondering if you ever found the recipe for White Tomato Soup?

No I didn't, but you prompted me to try 'google' and I found this

http://www.inozemstvo-posao.com/smf_1-1-2_install/index.php?topic=6304.0 (a list of Seabourn soups with photos)

Unfortunately my favourite, White Plum Tomato Cappuccino with Basil foam and Foccacia croutons (No. 44) is missing a photo.

No I didn't, but you prompted me to try 'google' and I found this

http://www.inozemstvo-posao.com/smf_1-1-2_install/index.php?topic=6304.0 (a list of Seabourn soups with photos)

Unfortunately my favourite, White Plum Tomato Cappuccino with Basil foam and Foccacia croutons (No. 44) is missing a photo.

That makes delicious browsing. But quite a few of the soups seem to be missing the ....errr .... soup! The photos show the embellishments, but some of the broths are obviously so clear as to be completely invisible!

I once had a white chocolate bread pudding on Pride which was to die for. Never had it subsequently but I keep booking cruises in hope.

Have a look at this recipe by James Martin, an English chef who, I believe, is now doing a series of programmes in the USA on baking. Try this fantastic croissant bread and butter pudding. It has whisky and white chocolate in it and is fabulous!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/whitechocolatewhisky_86302

Archived