Favorite Seabourn Dishes

Paminflorida

I am dieting furiously so I can eat whatever I want on my March Sojourn cruise on the Amazon River. I have searched the blogs and came up with a list of your favorites - caviar and fries, fresh peas, Nigerian shrimp, breadsticks, goat cheese souffle, tempura onion rings, Strawberries Madagasgar, Peking duck and Bananas Foster. Anything else I can't miss? Also, does anyone know who the chef will be on the Sojourn in March and any special dishes he's known for? Thanks!

Treat yourself at breakfast a couple of mornings and have the French toast served with maple syrup and fresh berries and the eggs Benedict or eggs royale (with smoked salmon).

Also, ask for the snails one evening at dinner. If you give 24 hours notice you can usually have them. Oh, and also order Dover sole and beef wellington! The cheese plates at dinner are also fabulous.

You will not be disappointed with the food on Seabourn, although we haven't sailed since they did away with the Charlie Palmer menus. Don't know if that has made a difference. Enjoy!

We had a white chocolate bread pudding when we were on Pride some 3 years ago. It was to die for :eek:

Never seen it since :(

Also, being a steak and potatoes kind of guy, I always enjoy the filet steak with peppercorn sauce.

My husband and I will take our first Seabourn cruise on the Quest in October. All these posts with such wonderful sounding food are making me wish the cruise was next month instead. I see that I'll have to do a lot of dieting between now and October! :)

OK, here we go;

Breakfast: We have fresh fruit from the buffet, then eggs benedict and french toast with maple sirup to finish.

Lunch: I love ceasarsalat and a fishdish, my partner goes for the minute steaks with the famous french fries and a freshly whipped sauce hollandaise (to dip the fries in. heaven).

Afternoon tea: I adore sandwiches and scones, but the clotted cream isn't the best.

Dinner: Take any souffle you can get as they are fabulous, beef wellington is good and filet rossini is marvelous. I am not much into sweet desserts, so there I'll save a calorie or two.

Bon Appetite :rolleyes:

I always carb load at breakfast (I am a pastry addict). The almond croissants are as good as you will find anywhere in the world.

I also like the Swedish pancakes (crepes to anyone else) but not bothered about the lingenberries (sp?)

I am dieting furiously so I can eat whatever I want on my March Sojourn cruise on the Amazon River. I have searched the blogs and came up with a list of your favorites - caviar and fries, fresh peas, Nigerian shrimp, breadsticks, goat cheese souffle, tempura onion rings, Strawberries Madagasgar, Peking duck and Bananas Foster. Anything else I can't miss? Also, does anyone know who the chef will be on the Sojourn in March and any special dishes he's known for? Thanks!

IMO the Nigerian shrimp and sadly goat cheese soufflé were nothing to write home about. Piotrs creeps Suzette and especially steak Diane otoh...(I could have lived off the steak, also try it tartar. Perhaps some bone marrow with sea salt and parsley over toast points... I need to sail again. Soon.

Having read about the fabulous food detailed on this thread in past years I have been fortunately privileged in the past to have sampled it. However having just returned returned from a Seabourn cruise after a 4 year break I must inject a world of reality.

Unfortunately corporate standards have recently been introduced which in catering terms means central purchasing, more frozen items and limited menu choice. This has resulted in a more restrictive 3 course type menu with the first and third courses generally being cold prepared and unfortunately on occasions the main being similarly served cool.

Putting this into context the food standard in mass cruise catering terms is still high but no where near the old cordon bleu standard Seabourn previously won awards for. The menu offered beef wellington once but I never recall my favorite of any souffle option. Even the galley kitchen lunch was a poor imitation of its former highlight days.

I am sure any one will have a great cruise experience provided they do not compare it with previous standards.

Seasider09

Were you on the Sojourn trip where there was problems with the Chef? In fact I think I read they ?changed Chefs after your cruise. To have had a lesser experience in the food quality would be very disappointing.

I have friends sailing currently on Quest and Odyssey so will be curious as to how they compare the food.

I hope it is as good as I remember because I am certainly looking forward to Beef Wellington, Escargarots and at least once the French Toast.

Julie

Some SB food indulgences not often on menu and made to order that we’ve enjoyed or known others to at the table (some need to be requested in advance...and assuming you don't have a French Chef):

• Kippers
  • Indonesian Rijsttafel
  • Paella
  • Peking Duck
  • Standing Rib Roast
  • A Bowl of Fresh Mixed Berries anytime
  • Perfectly done No Fat, Egg-White Omelets made to order (the other side of the caloric menu)
  • More Caviar...

At the bar...Caipirinhas!

___‹~›__‹(•¿•)›__‹~›___

Having read about the fabulous food detailed on this thread in past years I have been fortunately privileged in the past to have sampled it. However having just returned returned from a Seabourn cruise after a 4 year break I must inject a world of reality.

Unfortunately corporate standards have recently been introduced which in catering terms means central purchasing, more frozen items and limited menu choice. This has resulted in a more restrictive 3 course type menu with the first and third courses generally being cold prepared and unfortunately on occasions the main being similarly served cool.

Putting this into context the food standard in mass cruise catering terms is still high but no where near the old cordon bleu standard Seabourn previously won awards for. The menu offered beef wellington once but I never recall my favorite of any souffle option. Even the galley kitchen lunch was a poor imitation of its former highlight days.

I am sure any one will have a great cruise experience provided they do not compare it with previous standards.

I am sorry you had a bad experience on your recent cruise. However, my own experience on Odyssey last September and October could not have been more different. The menus were fine, the quality of the food was excellent and the fish that chef bought in Kusadasi and later served was outstanding.

I would like to see the evidence that allows you to take your bad experience and extrapolate it across all the other ships. Your reality is one thing, my own is quite another.

I will be embarking on Odyssey again in just 15 days. I will certainly let you know if there is any evidence to support your contention.

Some SB food indulgences not often on menu and made to order that we’ve enjoyed or known others to at the table (some need to be requested in advance...and assuming you don't have a French Chef):

• Kippers
  • Indonesian Rijsttafel
  • Paella
  • Peking Duck
  • Standing Rib Roast
  • A Bowl of Fresh Mixed Berries anytime
  • Perfectly done No Fat, Egg-White Omelets made to order (the other side of the caloric menu)
  • More Caviar...

At the bar...Caipirinhas!

___‹~›__‹(•¿•)›__‹~›___

Not strictly to do with food but, on Odyssey, barman Stewart has an excellent repertoire of cocktails. In fact, when we did our cross-Pacific cruise he did a 'mixology' demo which was very well attended and expertly executed.

I always carb load at breakfast (I am a pastry addict). The almond croissants are as good as you will find anywhere in the world.

I also like the Swedish pancakes (crepes to anyone else) but not bothered about the lingenberries (sp?)

I agree that the almond croissants are wonderful.

Being a bit pedantic here, the blueberry pancakes are made with blueberries, which are not the same as lingonberries, which are more like big raspberries. Seabourn call them blueberries, and so do I! Plus they are supposed to contain lots of things which are good for you, to slightly mitigate the effects of the pancake, the maple syrup, and the bacon.;)

Linkslady,

Seem to me I have seen both the swedish pancakes with lingonberries and the blueberry pancakes on the Verandah menu as separate items.I did order the blueberry pancakes on this recent trip and they were quite tender and delicious -- only problem was they gave me too many. I had to ask for "just one", not three big ones when I ordered them a second time.

Oh, and a recent comment on another thread brought to mind one of my favorite SB dishes( other than the chocolate pots de creme, lemon soufflé, escargot, cassoulet en croute, yellow pepper soup with chorizo and crisp artichokes, twice bake goat cheese soufflé, pappardelle with braised veal cheek, and seared beef carpaccio with ossetra caviar and potato shallot cake, green pea creme-- all of which we enjoyed on or mot recent SB cruise)is the table side prep of steak tartare which we enjoyed on two previous cruises.Best steak tartare ever!!!

I am sure you are right, Chairsin. I don't like loganberries, so would have immediately dismissed them. We have sometimes had two largish pancakes - you can ask for just one, or course - but on our joint cruise on Spirit it was four or even five smaller ones. I agree, rather too much of a good thing.

Archived