Price dropped...should i ask for OBC now or wait?

VirginiaTripster

Hi,

I booked a HAL Alaska cruise for June 2013 back in June 2012. Based on info I've read on this forum, HAL tends to start prices high and drop them as the cruise gets closer. So I checked and the price the VE stateroom has dropped $50 per person. My final payment is not due until March, so I was wondering if it is better to ask my TA to request and OBC for us now or just wait until just before the final payment in case it drops again?

Thanks,

David

Get the price drop applied to your booking now.

The prices could up. Get repriced and keep watching the prices.

We have enjoyed some significant price reductions and/or category upgrades only to see the pricing go back up a few days later.

Ask for it now (as others have already stated). You might not get it, since it may be for new bookings, special deals, etc. but at least try now. You are in a much better position to get it BEFORE final payment.

One thing to remember - if you have any existing OBCs, or deposits/payments for other items, they may be impacted by rebooking.

DaveOKC

Yes,ask for a reprice not an OBC.

Keep watching, not just for price increases but also for category improvements.

You may well have an opportunity to move up from a VE to a higher category and get your selection of cabin for the same price. We often do.

The price of our cruise dropped before final payment and we were able to get the new price. We didn't have to rebook and it was several days before final payment was due. We had already paid in full early, but HAL honored the price drop since it was before final payment was due.

If you take a price drop and the price drops again some time later can you ask for a second price adjustment?

Definitely yes. I am on a May 2013 cruise with a number of family members. Final payment is not due yet. My sister's room price has dropped three times; each time, I called and asked for the lower price and HAL reps I spoke with were very helpful and efficient about simply changing the reservation to reflect the lower price. So far, her room is $600 less than when I booked it last year. My parents' room price has dropped twice and now is a total of $800 less than when they booked a few months ago. I'll take paying $1,400 less any day:) Once final payment passes, things are different but until then, it is worth monitoring the price of your room and calling to request a lower price when you see a price drop.

I was just checking this morning on the rate for an SB for my upcoming March cruise aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam. The price has dropped another $200.00 and its a couple of weeks before final payment is due, and even though I have made the final payment, I have asked my PCC to arrange for OBC. He's done that in the past, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.;)

Yes, up to the final payment deadline. After that, HAL will most likely not give anything but you can always try. Some people have gotten lucky.

We got $300 pp OBC (on board credit) on our 7 day Eurodam cruise after final payment, so it can be done. Keep asking, even if they say no the first time.

DaveOKC

We got $300 pp OBC (on board credit) on our 7 day Eurodam cruise after final payment, so it can be done. Keep asking, even if they say no the first time.

DaveOKC

Nice! We tried twice leading up to our Zuiderdam sailing in July with no luck. We weren't expecting anything but we'd have found a good use for the OBC :)

Archived