Do you expect better service with more expensive cabins?

mpcaruth

I came across a review today and the following statement caught my attention:

"We had paid for a higher level balcony category so we expected a higher level of service. Nope, the only thing we noticed were more "freebies" of bathroom toiletries which we never use anyway."

I would not expect higher service for a balcony category, maybe for the suites, but not for a balcony. I thought I would throw this out to the CC community. What do you expect?

I would expect extras only because we were spoiled with a suite on NCL Sky ship. But I do realize it did come with a higher price tag. On my last cruise Carnival Paradise there were suites available but I new I would not be happy because there would be no butler service. Or should I say the kids would not be happy. They enjoyed the royal treatment when the ordered room service. We went with an ocean view on Paradise and will save my money for another suite on NCL someday. To date my favorite cruise was on the Sky with our Penthouse Suite Aft.

Edit to add: I did not pay more for balcony on Paradise because it was categorized as a suite and the price showed it. There was no extra benefit other then a little more room and the balcony. I just re-read you post and realized you were talking a balcony class not necessarily a "suite"

I was caught off guard. We usually sail Royal Caribbean and we visited people in the suites, enjoyed some of their perks, etc. We were excited when our Carnival cruise had a difference of about $200 (it's more now) between our planned balcony and a suite....so we went with the suite. I have to say I am disappointed that I will only have priority boarding.

I would expect the same level of service. Maybe if you are on Celebrity or another line where you have a personal butler for your suite (and also pay more in gratuity) you will get individualized service, but why should a person in an inside gets poorer service than someone in a balcony cabin? I would not expect any different level of service on Carnival, RCI, etc. based on your type of cabin.

one of the things i liked about carnival is they treat all passengers the same.

from the solo cruiser booking the cheapest 1a category to th family in a suite.

there is a huge price difference between a suite on carnival and a suite on another ship.

No I would not expect any difference in level of service for any room from the cheapest inside to the most expensive balcony. Anyone expecting better service needs to do some research before spending the money. It's quite clear the difference in price even within the balcony category is for more room or balcony size or a better room location. Not service. If they want an increase in service then a suite is the way to go. Just goes to show that there is always someone who feels more entitled than others.

I expect good customer service everywhere on the ship. i do not expect someone in a suite to be treated any better than someone in an inside cabin on the lowest deck. I had hoped the days of class sunk with the Titanic.

Perhaps more amenities-yes as if i have a tub, i expect a few more items etc.

but i expect the same service from staff regardless of what cabin i'm cruising in.

Carnival is one of the few lines that doesn't offer a lot of freebies or better service with their suites..! Just priority boarding, and maybe a few goodies in the head (bathroom)..:rolleyes:

RCL, NCL, Celebrity and others offer expanded services for suites, but the wife and I just enjoy the 'ship life', and our balcony, and really don't expect (or want) anything else.

As usual, Carnival is usually the 'best bang for the buck'! :D For us, the SUITE life, is being left alone!! :)

I've always been impressed with the service I got on Carnival, I feel like I've had good service no matter if I book a cheap inside cabin or one of the pricier suites.

Carnival is just not the kind of line where you are treated in a way that would scream either "steerage" or "first class." Maybe on a line like Cunard, where you have the different levels of cabins like the Grill Class.

I found a blog asking whether there are "too many commoners" in the grill class restaurant. Perhaps I'd best stick with Carnival no matter what I can afford - hate to splurge on a vacation only to be looked down on.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CFMQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftonystruths.blogspot.com%2F2011%2F06%2Ftoo-many-commoners-in-cunard-grill.html&ei=PmnqUPOSGOfTiwLhxoDIBA&usg=AFQjCNEAu4wx14pVVJ8ti7aWAnIlzF0gqg&sig2=YSj5FzJUnrEiAfDS2zjmvA&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.cGE&cad=rja

"We had paid for a higher level balcony category so we expected a higher level of service. Nope, the only thing we noticed were more "freebies" of bathroom toiletries which we never use anyway."

I would not expect higher service for a balcony category, maybe for the suites, but not for a balcony. I thought I would throw this out to the CC community. What do you expect?

Just because the balcony is on a different floor doesn't mean anything.

And on Carnival, tips for the suites are the same as those in inferior rooms on the barnacle deck.

So, no.

I would not expect better service. That being said, I think we had our best service on our first cruise in 2007 when we had a balcony, and second best service when we had an inside cabin on a higher deck in 2008. Since then, I don't know if we've had as great as service, but it's still been excellent service all around.

To a certain degree, yes, if I am paying more then I expect a higher level of service but it's qualified in that it only pertains if I am sailing a more expensive line. So if I were to sail on one of the more upscale lines you bet I would expect to see a higher level of service. I would not expect a higher level of service for sailing in an 8E versus an 8A (not sure if those are really categories, just using it as an example).

First cruise we were in an ocean view on the Riviera deck. Second-Balcony cabins on Empress, third, fourth, fifth- Balcony cabins on-Panorama Deck. We have had the same fantastic service in all of the cabins. We are just happy with not having to make the bed and getting clean towels. We pick up after ourselves and don't expect anything out of the ordinary.

The last 3 cruises we have done on Carnival we stayed in suites. I never expected better service from our cabin stewards. I knew I paid more for the space, not the service.

I am always amazed that people come on this site and complain about things they get on some other cruise lines that they don't get on Carnival. You get what you pay for folks. If Carnival did some of the things like butler service or concierge lounges, they would have to charge more. As long as I have a comfortable bed, safe travels and decent food, I'm happy with Carnival.

I would not expect better service in a suite, but perhaps a bottle of Champagne and some chocolate covered strawberries couldn't hurt.

Believe our service went up a notch once we became platinum.

I'm confused. Are you saying as a platinum member you are automatically assigned to a more expensive cabin and thus receive better service? The question posed by the OP is: do you receive better service in a more expensive cabin? I'm still a way from platinum so I'm assuming you're saying as a perk you receive a suite each cruise and thus better service.

Archived