Logistics help from Alaskans please

Assateague Island Princes

...hoping that Northern Aurora, Chenenga, AKSusan, MyTime, PennyAgain, or someone from up north can help me out. Will be arriving in Anchorage around midnight on Thurs. May 30th, hoping to get a hotel near the airport, then starting off Fri. May 31st by picking up our rental car and heading to Denali National Park. Will be spending two nights (5/31 and 6/1) in a cabin rental in Healy. That would bring us to June 2nd.

This is the part where I could use some suggestions please. We have rented a cabin in Homer from June 6th thru the 13th. Instead of traveling back thru Anchorage to head to Homer, we were tossing around the option of heading across the Denali Highway (question #1 - will we be permitted to take our Enterprise rental car on that highway, I understand it is gravel most of the way and kind of a rough ride?) and then picking up the Richardson Highway to travel down into Valdez, taking the ferry over to Seward or Whittier (question #2 - does the ferry dock at both or just one?), and then making our way to Homer by the afternoon of the 6th.

Is that enough time to do it justice, or are our plans pie in the sky dreams? We don't mind the long hours in the car, stopping at the sights we want to see and enjoying the beautiful scenery, just trying to figure out how realistic this plan would be? We originally thought of heading toward Fairbanks after Denali, and then driving down to the Richardson Highway from there, but I'm thinking that would be too time consuming?

Any and all suggestions you may have as to whether or not this is doable would be greatly appreciated. If it is not a good use of our time, we can go back to our original plan of heading back thru Anchorage and down the Seward Highway along Turnagain Arm, maybe staying for a night or two in Moose Pass or even Seward before continuing down to Homer.

Thanks again to all for your assistance. Booked our airfare last night, booked the Homer cabin weeks ago, and put in an inquiry for the two nights in Healy just this evening. Things are starting to come together - woo-hoo! Can't wait for May 30th!

I don't think that rental car agencies allow you to drive the Denali Highway. While it is graded, it is mostly gravel and a long haul between Cantwell and Paxton. If a car breaks down, there are few services out there.

The ferry makes a run from Valdez to Whittier only; Seward is no longer a destination. I think backtracking through Anchorage is the most practical solution although I wouldn't try a Denali to Homer drive in a day. An overnight in Anchorage gives you the most options for lodging; there are many decent places out on C Street (Hilton Garden Inn, Fairfield Inn, Motel 6, Hampton Inn) with restaurants nearby as well.

A drive from Healy to Fairbanks would take you no more than three hours. You could spend the night in Fairbanks, then head to Valdez, catch the ferry (the MV Chenega is faster but the MV Aurora is slower and more scenic) to Whittier the next morning, and head to Seward or Cooper Landing for the night before driving to Homer.

Homer is a beautiful community and well worth your time. Be sure to take a trip over to Seldovia by small boat.

Thank you, Chenenga for the great advice and wonderful suggestions. I had tried to post a lengthy response this morning, but CC was tempermental and gave me an error message; and "POOF" my response disappeared:rolleyes:.

Just as I thought, driving the Denali Highway is not an option with the rental car. I sure would love to do it someday though - reports are that it is spectacular scenery around every turn. Maybe next time....

I'm going to show your response to DH and see what he thinks about either heading to Fairbanks after Denali and then winding our way down to Valdez from there; or if we should backtrack toward Anchorage.

Right now we've got 4 nights that remain unscheduled after Denali before we have to be at our rented cabin in Homer on the afternoon of June 6th. That should be plenty of time, shouldn't it, to be able to include Valdez and the ferry in our plans?

I just read an itinerary on the Alaska.org website suggesting a popular itinerary is to explore the Matanuska Glacier and then overnight at Sheep Mountain Lodge before continuing down to Valdez the next day. That actually sounds promising. The past two times we were north of Anchorage we went to Independence Mine and then over to Big Lake, so it would be kind of fun to include the glacier this time. Any idea how far it is from Denali to Matanuska Glacier? Certainly doable in a day's worth of driving right?

I love the idea of taking the ferry from Valdez to Whittier, it would be an adventure and an excursion in its own right. So much to think about and consider!

Again, your advice is greatly appreciated, Chenenga. Many thanks. If anyone else out there has something to add or suggest, feel free - we're wide open to any and all suggestions.

PS - Not only is Seldovia on our agenda when based in Homer, but so is a visit to Halibut Cove, as well as a day trip up to Nikiski for a flighteeing trip w/Alaska West Air to Dick Proenecke's cabin on Twin Lakes! Can't wait!

Most rental companies prohibit gravel roads. Call Enterprise and ask what the consequences would be if you crack a windshield on the Denali Hwy. Who will you insure the car with? ask them if they'll cover damage if you choose to break the rules of the contract. Then you'll know for sure what you're up against.

I was going to take my chances on the Denali Hwy last summer. I know 5 people who have driven that road. Only one got a cracked windshield so I thought I would risk it. Drive slow and pull over when another vehicle approaches. Unfortunately I had to cancel the trip. Find out what the risks/consequences will be, then make an informed decision.

Your other options are the Richardson Hwy or the Glenn. I've driven both. I loved the Richardson. It was a highlight of my last trip. Lots of braided rivers, the geology/colors are interesting, and there are always mountain ranges in view. It looks like you have 4-5 days so you have plenty of time for a leisurely drive. Healy to Fairbanks is about 2 1/2 hrs. We spent 2 nights in fairbanks. Then we drove to Glenallen to overnight, then onto Valdez, stopping at the Worthington Glacier, Copper Center, and many stops during the last 30 miles into Valdez. (You could overnight in Paxson ... it's the halfway point, at 4 hrs, nice cabins closeby.) We spent 2 nights in Valdez. Since we had an RV it was cheaper to drive the Glenn than take the ferry. I don't think the Glenn is as scenic as the Richardson, but it's still a lovely drive with the Matanuska Glacier being the highlight. I'd say Homer is about a 4 hr drive from Whittier. Hope this helps.

(Buy a 2009 edition from amazon for under $6 and check out the drives. )

Thank you for your insight, Mapleleaves. So it sounds like we have enough time to include a trip down the Richardson to Valdez and maybe even throw Fairbanks into the mix if DH would rather do that than head back towards Anchorage.

I've got a 2010 copy of the Milepost, I just haven't been able to put my hands on it - its buried somewhere with our 2010 trip information but I will for sure dig it out and start looking closer at these options with the maps in front of me.

Agreed - I will inquire w/Enterprise about driving the Denali Highway if DH shows a great deal of disappointment w/not traveling that route. But I think he'll be okay with some of these other options that have now presented themselves from the great advice I'm getting here.

Thanks again for the indepth report about your trip thru Valdez!

The wife and I drove the Denali Highway several years ago in our Toyota Tacoma. While I loved the scenery, let's just say that 100+ miles on a gravel road was a unique experience. I remember remarking to the Mrs. that I certainly wouldn't want to break down out here :)

The trip on the Richardson Highway from Fairbanks to Valdez is really doable. A really nice stop is the Copper River Princess hotel south of Glennallen. When the weather is good, you get a great view of the Wrangell-St. Elias Mountains.

An extra day in Valdez would allow you to go out with Stan Stephans Cruiseline which offers a day trip to Columbia Glacier and eastern Prince William Sound. They've done this trip for years and are experts at it. You don't get very close to the glacier (too much ice since the Columbia is retreating at an alarming rate) but drifting among the large blue icebergs is a special experience. Once you get to Whittier, its a pretty easy drive to Homer.

The trip back up the Glenn Highway is also worth considering if you didn't want to go to Fairbanks. The Sheep Mountain Lodge is a great place to spend the night and the view of the Chugach Mountains is pretty spectacular.

Lots to do up here, especially when you are on your own.

I just read an itinerary on the Alaska.org website suggesting a popular itinerary is to explore the Matanuska Glacier and then overnight at Sheep Mountain Lodge before continuing down to Valdez the next day. That actually sounds promising. The past two times we were north of Anchorage we went to Independence Mine and then over to Big Lake, so it would be kind of fun to include the glacier this time. Any idea how far it is from Denali to Matanuska Glacier? Certainly doable in a day's worth of driving right?

We are doing this very thing on our trip in June. We are staying at the Homestead Cabins for 2 nights and doing a Matanuska Glacier Ice Trek with MICA Guides. We've been told the drive from Denali to Homestead Cabins is about 5 1/2 hours (if I remember right, the cabins are just a little beyond the glacier itself). We'll probably stretch that a little (or a lot) with stops along the way.

Enjoy your trip! I so can't wait for June!

An alternative for the Denali Hwy may be hiring an Alaskan to drive you on it.

I'm a poor one to give advice about driving in Alaska as I've toned down on what I do now that I can't change a tire by myself.

I will not drive in Alaska without a really good supply of emergency gear including (and always) duct tape, tow chains, tire repair stuff in cans and windshield cleaner.

There often is no choice but to backtrack through Anchorage. Just a fact of life.

Just had to say "have a fabulous time" to AIP and "I'm pea-green with envy" :D

You are wise to do this while you are young and fit. Time passes quickly and then you might realize that you have regrets if you don't make a trip like this.

I don't regret any of my Alaska adventures whether intentional or not. And the Adventure Continues!

Agreed - I will inquire w/Enterprise about driving the Denali Highway if DH shows a great deal of disappointment w/not traveling that route. But I think he'll be okay with some of these other options that have now presented themselves from the great advice I'm getting here.

I would be very disappointed as well. We drove it for the first time last fall and it was spectacular. We're doing it again next summer. I don't know of any of the major car rental companies that allow driving on gravel roads although there are some that do allow it, if you're willing to consider changing. The drive along the Glenn Highway past Matanuska Glacier is also very scenic.

This from last fall along the Denali Hwy.

Denali%2520Hwy.jpg

Thanks for the advice, Penny - LOL! Can't you hook me up w/one of your Alaskan relatives to drive us down the Denali Highway;) - pretty please? I agree with you that the adventure continues, because until the Good Lord calls me home, I intend to keep returning to where I lost my heart, just can't get enough:p.

And CP - appreciate the good wishes. Come join us - the more the merrier! Aren't you going back on a cruise this year? Didn't I read that somewhere? If not, perhaps it is time you booked another trip back to the Great Land! Enjoy, enjoy.

Olemissreb - thanx for the tip about those cabins - I googled it and they look very nice. I've been thinking about Mica Guides and wondering if it was something DH might enjoy at Matanuska. Will definitely give it some consideration.

To all - I'm really thrilled with all the wonderful advice, interesting suggestions, and plain good wishes that you've so readily provided. Folks on CC, particularly the Alaska boards, are more than generous with their guidance and I so appreciate it. Always interested in hearing any and all suggestions so if you've got something further to share - I'm all ears!

OMG, Glaciers!!! That picture doesn't even look real!!!! Uh-oh, I best not be showing my DH your post, he won't be satisfied til he sees it for himself!:o Thanks for sharing - that is just a stunning shot!!!!

Remember, that's a fall picture. It doesn't look that way all in the spring or the summer!

Susan in Anchorage :)

Princess:

We have driven the Denali Hwy. and I wouldn't consider doing it in a rental car. We drive it in a 4-wheel drive SUV with camping gear and a real spare tire (not a little "do-nut" emergency spare). The scenery is spectacular, and in my opinion is much prettier than the road into Denali National Park.

Reading your posts I have the sense that visiting Valdez is a priority. You could head north from Healy to Fairbanks (about two hour drive), and then on to Paxson to overnight before continuing onto Valdez. But if you haven't visited Fairbanks before you would not have enough time to see any of the local attractions.

If I wanted to drive to Valdez from Healy I would drive south and take the Glenn Hwy. across to Glennallen to join the Richardson and head south to Valdez. In my opinion the passes on the Richardson Hwy. through the Alaska Range are much prettier than on the Parks. As with mapleleaves I have always loved the area around Isabelle Pass, and this route misses that area. But the drive over Thompson Pass on a clear day is also spectacular. It has been many years since we took an Alaska Marine Hwy. ferry (the Tustumena) from Valdez to Whittier, but it is a very pretty crossing. But make sure that you have ferry reservations.

If Valdez is not a priority you could consider driving north from Healy to Fairbanks, and then down the Richardson to Glennallen. This route takes you through the Isabelle Pass area. From there you could cross back toward Anchorage on the Glenn Hwy., and from Anchorage head south.

I was in Moose Pass two summers ago, and quite frankly wouldn't spend two nights there unless there was some very specific activity. If you haven't visited Seward, it is charming community, with a number of activities. In 2011 we drove from Seward to Homer; we left Seward after 10 AM, and reached Homer late afternoon as we had several stops along the way.

Appears you have decisions to make. Keep us posted.

You are wise to do this while you are young and fit. Time passes quickly and then you might realize that you have regrets if you don't make a trip like this.

I don't regret any of my Alaska adventures whether intentional or not. And the Adventure Continues!

It isn't the kind of thing I'd do on my own, and my DH is soooooo not "into" Alaska ;) I don't have one friend who would do it either. But I can certainly cheer from the sidelines :D

AIP, many folks have posted some very good ideas for you.

I can tell you that good guides book up far in advance in Alaska and stay busy all summer season. If someone claims to be a guide and has plenty of spare time in his/ her schedule it should be a red flag.

I've tried hard for a long time, but have only seen a small part of Alaska. That's just how it works out. I have my favorite places, many of which you already know about from previous trip planning and as I get older I'm a creature of habit. If and when it gets to the point where all I can do is watch Alaska out of a window, I'll be grateful to do that.

Talked to some folks on Christmas who live above Anchorage and are well into their 80's. Still getting along and have outstanding views of the mountains and Cook Inlet. They still treasure every day in Alaska and have no complaints.

Have a wonderful trip!

Come join us - the more the merrier! Aren't you going back on a cruise this year? Didn't I read that somewhere? If not, perhaps it is time you booked another trip back to the Great Land! Enjoy, enjoy.

Yes we are doing the 7 day RT from Seattle in September .... promising DH we'd go to Sitka and Tracy Arm was the ONLY way I could get him to agree to another Alaska cruise :) I'll take whatever I can get ;) Am looking forward to a report from you about this great adventure!

Wow! I had to work a Township meeting last night so I missed all this GREAT information posted since yesterday afternoon. I am overwhelmed and very appreciative! Can't wait to have some time to go over it all with DH this evening. Thanks again to everyone who contributed with these wonderful ideas for an itinerary after our Denali adventures. Firmed up our cabin rental (Healy Heights) for two, possibly three nights. Now we just have to figure out how much time we need and where we're going afterwards before booking that 3rd night in Denali. Decisions, decions.... But it looks like we'd have enough time even with only three nights to get to Homer - if going thru Valdez which my DH has shown a great interest in. You've all given us so much to ponder, and I anticipate we'll start that this evening. Let the pondering begin. :D Again - MANY thanks to everyone!

OK so i am renting a car in Fairbanks and traveling down to the Denali Bluffs hotel - I will take the shuttle from the hotel to the entrance of the park. Will i have to drive on the Denali highway to get from Fairbanks down to Denali or is there some other highway i can take?

OK so i am renting a car in Fairbanks and traveling down to the Denali Bluffs hotel - I will take the shuttle from the hotel to the entrance of the park. Will i have to drive on the Denali highway to get from Fairbanks down to Denali or is there some other highway i can take?

I answered you on another thread, but here's the link again. http://fairbanks-alaska.com/denali-park.htm It is an easy drive on a regular, paved highway, about 120 miles on a road that is seldom very busy.

Enjoy Alaska!

No, you'll only be on the Parks Highway. The Denali actually comes in south of the Park at Cantwell.

Here's a link to a good map of the State Highway System http://www.dot.alaska.gov/stwdplng/mapping/dataproducts/NHS_MapSet2006final.pdf

Go to the 4th page down and it will show you what you want to see if nice color!

Susan in Anchorage :)

Your question has been answered on the thread which you initiated. The brief answer is that you will take the Parks Hwy. from Fairbanks to the entrance of Denali National Park. Just take a look at a map of Alaska for orientation.

Hi all - OP here. After much research and after taking all the comments/suggestions/recommendations under advisement, we have changed our plans somewhat. We're going to skip the Valdez portion of the trip after all. We've decided to include an additional overnight at Healy Heights Cabins - the nights of 5/31, 6/1, and 6/2. This will allow us two full days to get into DNP on the shuttle buses.

On the morning of 6/3, we will check out and head to Talkeetna for lunch and a brief looksee. From there, we'll head down the Glenn Highway to the Homestead Cabins in Glacier View (thanx for the recommendation, olemissreb - looks like a lovely place!). We'll be visiting the Matunuska Glacier which is apparently minutes away from the rental cabins, going glassing w/the cabin owner for wildlife, maybe renting a 4-wheeler or taking a jet boat ride.

Would like to see if we can atleast head toward the Valdez area on the Richardson Highway - would we have time for a stop at the Worthington Glacier on a day trip or is that not feasible, timewise?

On the morning of 6/5, we'll travel back toward Anchorage and down toward Seward, maybe overnighting there and taking the Kenai Fjords trip the next morning. We can't check into our cabin in Homer til after 3:30PM on the afternoon of 6/6. We will be in the Homer cabin from 6/6 thru 6/13, then will return to Anchorage to overnight at the Lake Hood Inn prior to flying out on Fri. 6/14.

Any comments, suggestions or recommendations on this latest itinerary? Thanks all in advance, I always appreciate what you have to offer.

The Homestead cabins are 15-20 minutes from the parking lot at the glacier. It sounds as though you are planning a day trip from the Homestead Cabins to Worthington Glacier. It’s quite a long drive. It would be over 3 hours from the cabins to Worthington and 4 hours to Valdez, one way. If you then drove back to Anchorage your drive time would be 8-10 hours total without stopping. Another interesting site is Sheep Mountain that is just up the road from Matanuska. The coloring is caused when hydrogen sulfide and hot water mixed with limestone to create gypsum millions of years ago. This was taken in the fall so the foliage would not be the same but the mountain retains its color.

https://plus.google.com/photos/107326259154545546042/albums?banner=pwa&gpsrc=pwrd1#photos/107326259154545546042/albums/5648709229686262449/5648720457950486050

Archived