Help Please

MWGD87

My DH and I are wanting to take European cruise this summer. We have never been to any European country and would love advice on the best cruise for "newbies" to Europe. We are very active and love the outdoors.

My DH and I are wanting to take European cruise this summer. We have never been to any European country and would love advice on the best cruise for "newbies" to Europe. We are very active and love the outdoors.

A nine day cruise to the Baltic Capitals is a great cruise. You start in Copenhagen, Denmark and then visit Germany (Berlin), - Tallin, Estonia,- Russia (St Petersburg for two days) then to Helsinki, Finland and Stockholm, Sweden and back to Copenhagen. Have taken this cruise twice and loved each time. There is so much to see and enjoy. I hope to do this cruise again.

I am looking to do baltic sounds great. However if you want a cruise out off Venice to greek Isles is beautiful with a stayover nite before in Venice. I also loved cruising out of Spain and visiting Italy(florene, naples,rome) stay overnite in eitheer Spain or Rome. I have done this cruise 8 times becuase there is so much to see and so beautful. Any cruise is amazing in Europe enjoy

If you like ruins and history then the Eastern Med and Croatia itineraries out of Venice are good. If you like history and architecture and ruins then the Western Med. is good. If you like history and architecture and variety then the Baltics is good.

We really need a bit more info about your particular wish list before we can advise in more detail. (I've done all three so have some experience to offer).

We have sailed the Mediterranean out of Barcelona 3 times, the Adriatic out of Venice (Turkey, Greece, Croatia) and the Baltics last summer out of Copenhagen (Denmark, Sweden, Estonia, Germany and Russia).

The Med out of Barcelona is a very good introduction to Europe. You will see Spain, Italy and France - the big 3 - and get a good "feel" for mainstream Europe. Lots of beautiful scenery, museums, churches, history, history, history, and great food.

The Adriatic, since it includes Turkey, Croatia and Athens is more about "ancient history" - the places you visit are more about the place itself. We did not really go into any museums - the cities were the museums. Turkey you will want to visit Ephesus - Athens the Parthenon, Croatia the walled city of Dubrovnik, etc. We loved this cruise a lot, but there is more to see in the Med.

The Baltics - Everywhere we went (except Russia) they spoke English - it seems that almost all the Scandinavian countries are bilingual in English so those countries are very easy to navigate. It is really a tour "behind the iron curtain" as Estonia and Germany (the old East Germany) were Soviet sattelites. We did every port on our own - it was mostly walk off the ship and there you are. But keep in mind that St. Petersburg Russia is two days of touring with a group - you really won't be able to do this on your own as most Russians do not speak English and you must get a Russian visa in your passport to get off the ship. A tour company will get that for you when you book the tour. And this cruise is VERY expensive - the most expensive cruise we ever took and we only used a tour operator in St. Petersburg. We took 3 days extra after the cruise to visit Norway - the most expensive country in the area. DH, somewhat of a tight wad, says no way ever again. But it was a fantastic trip with some wonderful memories.

As for your starting out cities: Barcelona (sailing the Epic a large, fun ship, with lots of entertainment and a fantastic spy, but not your typical cruise ship) and Venice (sailing on the Jade, a good ship, but my least favorite of the NCL fleet) are made for romantic walks, intimate dinners, and good food. Copenhagen (sailed on the Sun, a small, more intimate ship) was a search for a reasonably priced meal:) Venice shuts down at night while Barcelona and some parts of Copenhagen keep going all night long.

For first timers, I would suggest The Med cruise out of Barcelona. But you should do a lot of research on these boards and watch some Rick Steves travel shows on Hulu to really choose the right cruise for you:)

Oh sorry - and I would go in May for any cruise out of Barcelona or Venice because it is not as hot, less expensive and less crowded than summer.

As for the Baltics - I read that there is Winter and July - we went in July and had mostly warm weather on the cruise, but when it rained it could be cool and some actual cold days in Norway. We backpacked riding the train across Norway from Oslo to Bergen - every hotel and cab driver wanted to know where our luggage was, they could not believe we were American:D

barcelona is beautiful so much to see and if you can stay there before the cruise. I also like that the port is right there. When you go to Naples you can see Pompeii, Sorrento, Postitano or even capri great port. In Florence(Livorno) you can see the leaning tower of Pisa and go into Florence itself. Then in Civi you can see Roma. There are so many places to go in each port it's amazing. I did like the venice greek isle cruise I have been twice, but out of Spain or Roma is full of adventure. Make sure to find your roll call and maybe join excursions with your group. Have a great time deciding

• 2 months later...
For me, my dream cruise would be the "12 Day Grand Mediterranean" aboard the Norwegian Spirit from Barcelona, Spain to Venice, Italy or the reverse. The Spirit is a very unique ship with a terrific staff.

Me too. I booked the 12 day Grand Med because the ports are so great!

I have lived overseas for 9 years, including 4 years in Germany. Also, have traveled to nearly all the countries in Europe, including Russia and Ukraine.

Every country has is special interests.

Do you like history and culture or more focused on outdoor activities?

If you have an interest in history, Italy and Greece have plenty. Also, the Greek Island have great beaches for snorkeling, etc. Rome is my favorite city with Roman ruins and the Vatican is special, especially the Sistine Chapel.

Southern Europe has great food, as well as France, but law enforcement is more lax than Northern Europe, so pick pockets abound in Barcelona, Rome and Athens.

The Baltic is nice and St. Petersburg is wonderful, but I would opt for a Med cruise as your first European cruise. Russia doesn't allow cruise passengers to do your own thing when you dock there.

River cruises are a great option if you really want to see central Europe (especially Germany). The ships are smaller and you get to know your fellow passengers more.

Still, cruising in the Med is a great choice. I would take a cruise out of Rome or Venice that includes the Greek Islands.

Loved history. Departing Rome, will spend several pre and post cruise days there, will visit Athens, democracy's birth place, Istanbul, formerly the city of Constantine, who legalized Christianity in the Roman Empire, Ephesus, with its links to that religion, and the other ports. It has got to stir your blood. Unless you have a heart of stone. Very port intensive, so expect to be off the ship a lot.

I hear that Rick Steve's book on Med. ports is a must.

I don't think the Baltic or W. Med. ports are as full of such soul stirring history as this. Can't wait to go. Hope this 61 year old body can do it.

Being from the UK, we do europe a lot

I really recommend the baltics - something different in every port - lots of culture etc

For beaches and a little culture, it's greece and turkey / italy trips

For Rome, Florence etc- take care as all the ports are 1 to 1.5 hour from where the ship docks

Archived