Single?. Oceania is not for you

keltic

As a cruising journalist and blogger in Spain, and having cruised more then 200 times, I have to say that I haven´t been on Oceania before. I assume all cruises lines impose fares for singles, some are reasonable, other high but I wonder if Oceania and Celebrity are the only ones sticking to the strick 100% anytime, and proud of it. No negotiation in this issue.

Having sampled Azamara some months ago (other which is having special deals for singles), I wonder why Oceania simply prefer empty cabins to the tradicional "special sailings for singles" (like Regent, Ponant, Silversea), to 80%, to 50% or simply variable according occupancy. Are Oceania doing it that well to say people who contact them "still having the same single policy, no plans to change it in the near future"?.

So, something like pay for two or avoid us. Sad. Another term booking with others, and avoid writing about them. And I do love the company, as far as ship visits are concerned. Food is second to none, cabins are incredible confortable and smart, and ships are simply superb. But once again, how sad and frustrating, they simply don´t match their services to the growing tendency of treating singles with more respect and care.

Please, forgive me all Oceania lovers. It´s not a complain but just a soft suggestion.

It's all about yield management.....you very rarely see any single deals on Oceania, because they can easily fill their ships with 2 people in each cabin, and the extra incremental revenue from the 2nd person. Every cruise line would do the same if they could.....

Even the lines like Fred. Olsen that still have smaller single cabins are charging for them accordingly with rates typically 175% of a similar grade twin occupancy cabin.

It's not discrimination....it's business.....

Thanks for the replay. I know it´s not descrimination, but they simply wouldn´t miss anything if every time they have a empty cabin, at the very last moment, even once a year they could say. Hi, singles. Just for now, we have a deal for you. Not as a rule, but sometimes.

I think it´s the only case in the industry. Even RCL is having a more relaxed single fare in their Vision Class ones.

It´s also the cocky approach of "we won´t have, and no in the near future".

I have cruised on a number of Crystal cruises and very recently I took my first Rivera cruise on Oceania. If you are a solo travelor looking for a luxury cruise, I would highly recommend Crystal. They seem very friendly towards solo travelors, and really cater to them. They usually have very low single supplements-sometimes only 25 percent. Since Oceania does not appear to offer single supplements-it is obvious they are not interested in solo travelors. Who wants to go on a cruise line that does not appear to want them?

I believe that I've occasionally seen a reduced single rate, but I have to confess not very often and it's still confiscatory.

But if O doesn't see a need to fill the cabins with singles, it's not going to make any accommodations.

My mother sailed as a single at an excellent rate once upon a time, but O was quite new then.

Mura

... they simply wouldn´t miss anything if every time they have a empty cabin, at the very last moment.

With the new security procedures associated with cruising, "very last minute" bookings are a thing of the past. I don't know the cut-off for the last day to purchase a cruise, but it would be the same for couples as for singletons.

As much for my own curiosity, I hope someone will tell us how far in advance of a sailing the cruise line must cut off bookings.

As much for my own curiosity, I hope someone will tell us how far in advance of a sailing the cruise line must cut off bookings.

I have seen some people on other threads mention 24 hrs but also some say 72 hrs

So no definite answer I guess you could always call Oceania & ask

I have seen several cruises where they offer SS @ 25% but since I travel with DH I have not checked it out as to how many per year they offer

Some Oceania cruisers are just willing to pay the price to sail with Oceania :rolleyes:

YMMV

It's all about yield management.....you very rarely see any single deals on Oceania' date=' because they can easily fill their ships with 2 people in each cabin, and the extra incremental revenue from the 2nd person. Every cruise line would do the same if they could.....

Even the lines like Fred. Olsen that still have smaller single cabins are charging for them accordingly with rates typically 175% of a similar grade twin occupancy cabin.

It's not discrimination....it's business.....[/quote']

ALL hotels charge the same rate for a room single or double... so its not just the cruise folks.

ALL hotels charge the same rate for a room single or double... so its not just the cruise folks.

Not true! I booked a hotel in Seattle for our upcoming cruise in June. Initially, I booked for one adult and got a price. Realizing my error, I re-booked for two. Price increased.

This isn't the first time I've experienced this.

Our friend booked a single last year aboard Regatta for the Panama Canal at a special rate of 125%. So O does have specials once in a while. Now our friend can't wait to find the next special - he's hooked on O too.

Interesting about the 125% offer for us. So their website agents are not really informed that these rates can happen. I have to contact them again.

SO "never had, won't have in the near future" may appear to be exagerating.

Interesting about the 125% offer for us. So their website agents are not really informed that these rates can happen. I have to contact them again.

Could have something to do with the Country you are in

Some Countries other then North America have different fares/promotions etc

I have no inside knowledge just have seen other people mention they do not get the same deals as North Americans

Yes, as is the subject of this thread. It appears to be telling others something they can decide for themselves.

Archived